Wal-Mart and ammo location in the store

A place to discuss calibers, ammunition, and reloading

Wal-Mart and ammo location in the store

Postby phorvick on Sun Sep 14, 2008 5:06 pm

In every Wal-Mart I had visited in Minnesota, ammo was typically inventoried behind a counter in locked display cases. This meant that if you wanted to buy some, you first needed to find a clerk that (a) worked in that dept and (b) had a key to open the display. I have waited and waited and waited at some stores to great frustration.

Today, prior to going to a range in North Dakota (which turned out to be a total screw up on my part on time etc.) I stopped at a new Wal-Mart store in Moorhead (well, technically perhaps Dilworth, MN). I found the sporting goods dept and all ammo...everything...rifle...shotgun...handgun...all .... was in shelves where you just take what you wanted to purchase and head to the checkout. A much better experience!

They also had Blazer (brass) 9mm for 8.97/50. That is now my new ammo store. No more waiting for a clerk...no more "we don't sell past 10pm" crap....just put in your cart and head to the cashier.
Where did I leave the Tardis?
phorvick

Re: Wal-Mart and ammo location in the store

Postby mnglocker on Sun Sep 14, 2008 5:54 pm

That's how it is in Buffalo, there's a counter, but nothings locked and you can help yourself.
-Get a rope Tuco.
What happens in the basement stays in the basement.

http://www.ronpaul2012.com/
mnglocker

Postby xd9 on Sun Sep 14, 2008 6:40 pm

The same for the Shakopee store. At least for the last year or so. I have not been there in several months.
Pick what you want off the shelf and bring to the registers.
Could it be regulated by county? Just a thought.
xd9

Postby macphisto on Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:00 pm

That's very convenient for customers. Unfortunately, it's against the law.

609.663 DISPLAY OF HANDGUN AMMUNITION.
It is a petty misdemeanor to display centerfire metallic-case handgun ammunition for sale to
the public in a manner that makes the ammunition directly accessible to persons under the age of
18 years, other than employees or agents of the seller, unless the display is under observation
of the seller or the seller's employee or agent, or the seller takes reasonable steps to exclude
underage persons from the immediate vicinity of the display. Ammunition displayed in an
enclosed display case or behind a counter is not directly accessible. This section does not apply to
ammunition suitable for big game hunting.

https://www.revisor.leg.state.mn.us/statutes/?id=609.663&year=2007&keyword_type=all&keyword=handgun+ammunition
macphisto

Postby phorvick on Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:10 pm

macphisto wrote:That's very convenient for customers. Unfortunately, it's against the law.

609.663 DISPLAY OF HANDGUN AMMUNITION.
It is a petty misdemeanor to display centerfire metallic-case handgun ammunition for sale to
the public in a manner that makes the ammunition directly accessible to persons under the age of
18 years, other than employees or agents of the seller, unless the display is under observation
of the seller or the seller's employee or agent, or the seller takes reasonable steps to exclude
underage persons from the immediate vicinity of the display. Ammunition displayed in an
enclosed display case or behind a counter is not directly accessible. This section does not apply to
ammunition suitable for big game hunting.

https://www.revisor.leg.state.mn.us/statutes/?id=609.663&year=2007&keyword_type=all&keyword=handgun+ammunition
It is not at all against the law if the observation rules are followed. Rest assured that Wal-Mart is not unaware of the law. I assume the display is "under observation" at all times...security cameras etc.
Where did I leave the Tardis?
phorvick

Postby xd9 on Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:38 pm

I guess I will have to look up and smile for the camera next time ;-)
xd9

Postby TC95GT on Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:25 pm

Hastings Wal-mart also has it on shelves so a customer can walk up and take what they want to checkout. One of the reasons I stop in when I'm in the area. Very convenient. The one near my house has it under lock and key and there is rarely anyone to help.
"It is not enough to just obey Big Brother, you must love him, too." 1984 by George Orwell
TC95GT

Postby cobb on Mon Sep 15, 2008 3:48 am

When I have stopped in at the Cabelas in Rogers, the handgun ammo was out in the open and self serve. In the Owatonna Cabelas it is still behind the counter and you have to ask for it.
“Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result”. - Winston Churchill

RIVER VALLEY TRAINING
MN. DPS/BCA approved training organization.

http://www.RiverValleyTraining.com
cobb

Postby EAJuggalo on Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:29 am

The Apple Valley Walmart has all the ammo sitting on a shelf behind the counter. You just walk around the counter and grab whatever you like. In my experience most of the stores that do it this way have more boxes of handgun ammo than stores where it's locked beneath the counter.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who are not". - Thomas Jefferson
EAJuggalo

Postby Keith on Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:07 am

mnglocker wrote:That's how it is in Buffalo, there's a counter, but nothings locked and you can help yourself.

Really? I thought the pistol/rifle ammo was locked up behind the counter. Maybe it's just not locked and I never had the balls to walk around and try to open the case. :mrgreen: Then again I always liked to pay at the sports counter so I didn't have to wait in the ridulously long lines at the front of the store. I pretty much load for everything now (except shotshells) so I'm no longer at the mercy of Wal-Mart. And I may have to think about loading shotshells if I keep this up.
Yeah, but I shoot with THIS hand.
Keith

Postby mnglocker on Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:33 am

Keith wrote:Really? I thought the pistol/rifle ammo was locked up behind the counter. Maybe it's just not locked and I never had the balls to walk around and try to open the case. :mrgreen: Then again I always liked to pay at the sports counter so I didn't have to wait in the ridulously long lines at the front of the store. I pretty much load for everything now (except shotshells) so I'm no longer at the mercy of Wal-Mart. And I may have to think about loading shotshells if I keep this up.

The ammo is on a shelf behind the counter, it's hardly what I'd call in a locked case. :P
-Get a rope Tuco.
What happens in the basement stays in the basement.

http://www.ronpaul2012.com/
mnglocker

Postby Keith on Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:02 am

mnglocker wrote:
Keith wrote:Really? I thought the pistol/rifle ammo was locked up behind the counter. Maybe it's just not locked and I never had the balls to walk around and try to open the case. :mrgreen: Then again I always liked to pay at the sports counter so I didn't have to wait in the ridulously long lines at the front of the store. I pretty much load for everything now (except shotshells) so I'm no longer at the mercy of Wal-Mart. And I may have to think about loading shotshells if I keep this up.

The ammo is on a shelf behind the counter, it's hardly what I'd call in a locked case. :P

Guess it's been several years since I bought pistol ammo there so I haven't paid attention. :P But I swear the last time I did buy some there they had to unlock the case to give it to me because the kid had to get the manager with a key.
Yeah, but I shoot with THIS hand.
Keith

Postby Pezhead on Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:20 pm

Shakopee is still out in the open.
Pezhead

Postby Veldy on Sat Sep 27, 2008 11:45 am

phorvick wrote:They also had Blazer (brass) 9mm for 8.97/50. That is now my new ammo store. No more waiting for a clerk...no more "we don't sell past 10pm" crap....just put in your cart and head to the cashier.

The fellow working at the Walmart in Eden Prairie told me that they were starting to do that. We both expressed reservations about this. Last thing I want to see are gangsta children walking into the store and loading their pockets with individual bullets by the handful. I am sure they probably have cameras all over it, but it just takes some person to put a box in their cart to get away from security cameras and then be good at shop lifting. I just don't think it is a wise idea to make them available. The subject came up because I asked the guy about the pallet of 12 gauge shells sitting in the aisle. That sort of thing is sure to get the anti-gun types in an uproar. Probably should consider a double payment to the NRA soon, eh?
You could get a new lease on life -- if only you didn't need the first and last month in advance.
Veldy

Postby RobD on Sun Oct 05, 2008 8:11 am

The Apple Valley Walmart has all the ammo sitting on a shelf behind the counter. You just walk around the counter and grab whatever you like. In my experience most of the stores that do it this way have more boxes of handgun ammo than stores where it's locked beneath the counter.

Funny Story, I was standing at the counter for about 10 min at the AV Walmart... There is a counter there, with a register, it's open on one end, and very unclear as to whether it is OK for customers to come and grab.

No soon after I went behind the counter a 16 year old employee comes at me saying i can be there...

I said I had been waiting for 10 min and would like to purchase my ammo. He said "Well it has to be rung up here" I took out my wallet, and he says "I cant ring that up" We stared at eachother for about 10 seconds... until I asked "Well.... can you find someone who can?" The kid gets an attitude and says "pfft... i don't know... i guess i can try" I replied, "Don't bother, i'd hate to inconvenience you"

I grabbed 2 boxes went up front to the Tobacco Desk (i figured the clerk there would be "authorized" to ring it up) And she rang it up with a smile. id check, and "Have a nice day"
Last edited by RobD on Sun Oct 05, 2008 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Political Director - MN Gun Owners Caucus/PAC
NRA Instructor (BP, PPITH, PPOTH, Reloading, RSO)
Certified Glock Armorer - Permit to Carry Instructor - Aegis Outdoors
RobD

Next

Return to Ammunition & Reloading