New Ammo buying policy at Walmart

A place to discuss calibers, ammunition, and reloading

Postby gjlog on Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:17 am

Last evening I was at the St. Croix Falls Walmart and saw about 6 boxes of Federal 9mm. I asked for 3, thinking that that was the standard limit. The kind lady pointed to a new sign on the ammo case stating that the limit is one box per customer. She also mentioned that I could buy 2 more boxes of 2 different types of ammo. She explained that they have seen individuals, (she mentioned a local Pawn Shop owner in particular), who will buy as much as allowable and then re-sell it at a higher price. So, although I wished I could have purchased more boxes, I am grateful that this Walmart has this policy as it gives the rest of us a chance to buy ammo at a decent price.
Not sure whether other Walmarts have the same policy.
Greg
gjlog

Re: New Ammo buying policy at Walmart

Postby cobb on Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:59 am

A small local gun shop that use to be in Mankato did the same thing, send different employees or friends to the local Walmart to buy as much as they could to stock the local gun shop's shelves, at of course a higher price.
“Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result”. - Winston Churchill

RIVER VALLEY TRAINING
MN. DPS/BCA approved training organization.

http://www.RiverValleyTraining.com
cobb

Postby grousemaster on Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:25 am

cobb wrote:A small local gun shop that use to be in Mankato did the same thing, send different employees or friends to the local Walmart to buy as much as they could to stock the local gun shop's shelves, at of course a higher price.

For a while that was the only way for smaller guys to get ammo....better than empty shelves.
01 FFL
NRA Life Member
NRA Business Alliance
grousemaster

Postby jonahk on Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:39 am

The Walmart near me (Silver Lake Village) hasn't had ammo since December. When I was in there a few weeks ago, the lady behind the counter actually told me this verbatim

"Yeah, it comes in kind of whenever. And there are always these few guys that come in and buy most of it. They must be shooting a lot!"

*facepalm*
A75146
jonahk

Postby Ron Burgundy on Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:30 pm

jonahk wrote:The Walmart near me (Silver Lake Village) hasn't had ammo since December. When I was in there a few weeks ago, the lady behind the counter actually told me this verbatim

"Yeah, it comes in kind of whenever. And there are always these few guys that come in and buy most of it. They must be shooting a lot!"

*facepalm*

That's the closest Walmart to me too. I haven't seen 9mm there in almost a year.
Ron Burgundy

Postby gunsmith on Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:38 pm

Ron Burgundy wrote:
jonahk wrote:The Walmart near me (Silver Lake Village) hasn't had ammo since December. When I was in there a few weeks ago, the lady behind the counter actually told me this verbatim

*facepalm*

That's the closest Walmart to me too. I haven't seen 9mm there in almost a year.

That's close to DT Mpls.....is that one of the Walmarts that DOESN'T sell ammo? Lake St and University Ave don't.
gunsmith

Postby Thunder71 on Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:52 pm

Rochester hasn't had squat since around January or so... they started putting other items in the cabinet (knives, etc).
Thunder71

Postby MXGreg on Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:40 pm

Thunder71 wrote:Rochester hasn't had squat since around January or so... they started putting other items in the cabinet (knives, etc).

I was in the north Rochester Walmart about a month ago, the ammo case was empty as usual. I was talking to one of the employees and was told that someone had tried to break into the case and f'd up the lock. They couldn't get it open so they were keeping ammo in the back. I walked out of the store with three boxes of .45 :D
MXGreg

Postby MaryB on Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:12 pm

3 local to me WalMarts (50 mile radius) haven't had ammo since December when I got a box of 9mm. All they have are a few really odd calibers that have been sitting there for a year judging by the dust on them.
MaryB

Postby DaZhi on Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:32 am

i got three boxes of Federal 9mm at the Silver Lake Village Walmart back in April. I stopped in with my brother to pick up some targets on the way to the range and must have been there at just the right time. They had some Hyrdashoks too. I went back the next day and they were gone. I saw them on armslist a day after that.
DaZhi

Postby minnhawk on Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:57 am

I was in a Wal Mart last night. 16 feet of shelf space 6 feet tall, completely full of ammunition, not behind lock and glass. All rifle and shotgun to include .223, .308. Locked case behind counter, .22 speed packs, 9mm .40 .45 large variety to include Hornady. Looks like the panic is over at least in one town in Minnesota. Shhhhhh, don't tell if you figure it out ; Charlie's town is well stocked.
Eleven-Bravo, 1/4 INF, 3ID
minnhawk

Postby gunsmith on Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:11 pm

DaZhi wrote:i got three boxes of Federal 9mm at the Silver Lake Village Walmart back in April.

Is that the one near St. Anthony Village north of the Quarry road shopping center with the Home Depot and Target near 35W?
gunsmith

Postby EAJuggalo on Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:27 pm

The Eagan store had 5 boxes of Federal Champion 9mm 100rd packs and one box of WWB .45 this morning.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who are not". - Thomas Jefferson
EAJuggalo

Postby Evad on Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:14 pm

EAJuggalo wrote:The Eagan store had 5 boxes of Federal Champion 9mm 100rd packs and one box of WWB .45 this morning.

Did you notice the price?
Evad

Postby EAJuggalo on Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:40 pm

$22.47 for the 9mm
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who are not". - Thomas Jefferson
EAJuggalo

Next

Return to Ammunition & Reloading