Shot weight?

A place to discuss calibers, ammunition, and reloading

Shot weight?

Postby Minnesnotashooter on Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:01 am

I'm new to shotshell reloading and I've noticed that to pick the right shot bushing I need to know the weight of my shot, but I don't know the weight of the shot I want to buy its #8 lead magnum if that helps.

Thanks to anyone that replies

-Minnesnotashooter
Minnesnotashooter

Re: Shot weight?

Postby Sigfan220 on Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:17 am

Did you buy the Lee then?? MEC's have a bar for each weight and bushings for the powder. Get a MEC if you haven't bought anything yet.

I would think Lee would be smart enough to label the bushings 7/8, 1 , 1 1/8 etc like MEC. But who knows.

The density of chill vs magnum isn't enough to require new bushings. At least on the MEC's it one size fits all for the shot charge so you may not get exactly 1 1/8 oz or whatever.
Sigfan220

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:18 am

What brand of loader are you using? They should have a bushing chart to tell you.
I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Postby LarryFlew on Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:36 am

shot weight is the weight you want to load like 1oz trap loads, 1.5 oz hunting load etc. REALLY need to be buying and reading the books b4 attempting anything!!
Last edited by LarryFlew on Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
If you're having second thoughts you're two ahead of most Democrats
LarryFlew

Location: Hamburg, MN - CZ fan - Class of 66 - USAF 66-70 - NRA life since 1970

Postby Minnesnotashooter on Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:43 am

Sigfan220 wrote:Did you buy the Lee then?? MEC's have a bar for each weight and bushings for the powder. Get a MEC if you haven't bought anything yet.

I would think Lee would be smart enough to label the bushings 7/8, 1 , 1 1/8 etc like MEC. But who knows.

The density of chill vs magnum isn't enough to require new bushings. At least on the MEC's it one size fits all for the shot charge so you may not get exactly 1 1/8 oz or whatever.

Hello again Sigfan, I haven't bought a press yet but I thought I'd try to figure out how to use it before I do. I really looked at the MECs and they seem higher quality(by a long shot) but scince I have to pay for all my stuff by myself and me being only 13 I only make anywhere from $20-$50 a week from my summer "jobs" and I want to get started reloading as soon as possible. Yes Lee puts all the shot weights on the bushings and CC on the powder bushings(at least I think that's what they mean). Plus I'm not reloading 500 shells a week or anything so I think the Lee might pull through for me, I really want a MEC but I just don't want to spend $300+ on the press and all the equipment and components.
Minnesnotashooter

Postby LarryFlew on Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:01 am

You also might want to check on craigslist as there are a LOT of reloaders sold there. Search for reloaders
LarryFlew

Postby Sigfan220 on Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:08 am

LarryFlew wrote:You also might want to check on craigslist as there are a LOT of reloaders sold there. Search for reloaders

+1

I've never bought a new MEC. I have two used ones now and have sold 2 other used ones that were duplicates of my current 600jr. They seem to hold up well for being made out of stamped sheet metal.
Sigfan220

Postby Minnesnotashooter on Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:44 am

LarryFlew wrote:shot weight is the weight you want to load like 1oz trap loads, 1.5 oz hunting load etc. REALLY need to be buying and reading the books b4 attempting anything!!

Yes I know what shot weight is I'm wondering how you can tell what the shot weight is will I have to measure it somehow or what?
Minnesnotashooter

Postby LarryFlew on Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:51 pm

Minnesnotashooter wrote:
LarryFlew wrote:shot weight is the weight you want to load like 1oz trap loads, 1.5 oz hunting load etc. REALLY need to be buying and reading the books b4 attempting anything!!

Yes I know what shot weight is I'm wondering how you can tell what the shot weight is will I have to measure it somehow or what?

If you didn't understand that then you don't know what the shot weight is. Sorry but I won't help someone blow themselves up.
LarryFlew

Postby Sigfan220 on Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:51 pm

+1 on reading a reloading manual first. If you are tight on money the library should have something available.

I didn't read you original post right, see below for a response:

YOU pick the shot weight based on the end use. Then you look in the manual and see what load works with your hull, wad, primer and powder combo. Then you try a few at the range. After testing a few you can begin loading.

Keep in mind if you have a semi auto that not all loads may function in the gun. To light a load may not eject the empty. Then you pretty much have a single shot. If you shoot a pump, over/under or side by side you can shoot any(safe) load. The semi autos are going to be different brand to brand and model to model. Some will handle light loads(2 3/4dr eq) others need more(3 1/4 - 3 1/2 dr eq).

Assuming 12ga 2 3/4" LEAD:
7/8 to 1 1/8 oz for clays
1 to 1 1/4 oz for small game
1 1/4 oz + for larger birds and game
7/8 to 1 oz for slugs
Sigfan220

Postby Minnesnotashooter on Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:49 pm

LarryFlew wrote:
Minnesnotashooter wrote:

If you didn't understand that then you don't know what the shot weight is. Sorry but I won't help someone blow themselves up.

I'm sorry I wasn't very clear, yes I believe I know what shot weight is, like 1 ounce 1 1/8, 1 1/2.... But I haven't actually bought any shot yet, and the website that I want to buy it off of doesn't tell me the weight, I was wondering if there was a way to find it out from the shot size(in this case #8 magnum).

I'm sorry if this a extremely stupid question, but I just want to know what shot bushing I would need, I was planning on buying a Lyman 5th edition shotshell reloading book, would the answer be in there?
Minnesnotashooter

Postby LarryFlew on Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:10 pm

BOOKS!!!!
LarryFlew

Postby LarryFlew on Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:12 pm

BOOKS!!!! You where very clear that you don't know what shot weight is.
LarryFlew

Postby crbutler on Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:14 pm

Don't even try buying components until you have read the book a couple times. Preferably a couple of different reliable manuals. If for no other reason than it will likely save you some money by preventing you from buying the wrong stuff.

Yes the answer is in the manual.

No one will be able to tell you exactly what any bushing throws, you need a scale to be sure. That is in the manual. The bushings are calibrated to be "close" to a certain value, and each company's bushings are different.

We all are not trying to be smart alecs or anything, but your questions are showing you don't even know where to start yet. Reloading is not rocket science, but it does require reading comprehension and attention to detail.
crbutler

Postby Sigfan220 on Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:19 pm

You seem to be confusing shot weight with shot size, or something. Plus you probably don't want to buy shot online, shipping will kill any savings over buying a box of shells in the store.

Shot size is in your case #8
Shot weight is the amount of shot you use in each shell. It is measured in weight (oz). You will buy it in bags of 25lbs so no the site will not tell you the charge weight in oz. This is determined by YOU and the charge bar or bushing. So one bag of shot can load any weight.

Time to hit the books.
Sigfan220

Next

Return to Ammunition & Reloading