Prices..

A place to discuss calibers, ammunition, and reloading

Prices..

Postby DonT on Sat Aug 31, 2013 1:05 pm

Walked into a local shop today and couldn't believe what they were asking for a single 525 round of bulk Federal .22 Ammo. This is the blue box 36gr copper coated stuff. I know it is hard to find but hey had a few boxes sitting on the shelf and they were marked $40.00 a box.

Now I haven't looked for Rimfire ammo in a while but it that the normal going price for rimfire ammo or it that just a bit high??

Thanks,
DonT
DonT
DonT

Re: Prices..

Postby LePetomane on Sat Aug 31, 2013 1:09 pm

Don, That sounds about right. We can thank the people who kept buying ammunition in large quantities after the prices skyrocketed following the Newtown Connecticut incident. The ammo companies saw that it was still selling and kept the prices high. They have dropped but not to where they were pre Newtown. The "horders" are right up there with the "birthers" and "truthers" as far as crazies go.

Another reason is that the supply is limited because of BHO and his cronies sending it to the terrorists in Syria.
Donald Trump got more fat women moving in one day than Michelle Obama did in eight years.
LePetomane

Postby grousemaster on Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:40 pm

LePetomane wrote:Don, That sounds about right. We can thank the people who kept buying ammunition in large quantities after the prices skyrocketed following the Newtown Connecticut incident. The ammo companies saw that it was still selling and kept the prices high. They have dropped but not to where they were pre Newtown. The "horders" are right up there with the "birthers" and "truthers" as far as crazies go.

Another reason is that the supply is limited because of BHO and his cronies sending it to the terrorists in Syria.

The ammunition companies did not issue increases anywhere close to $40 for a bulk pack, it's the individual store gouging
01 FFL
NRA Life Member
NRA Business Alliance
grousemaster

Postby Tronster on Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:11 pm

Sorry you missed the bus to ammoville the last couple years where prices were reasonable and shelves well stocked.

And no, BHO is not sending your .22lr to Syria. :roll:
Tronster

Postby yuppiejr on Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:19 pm

DonT wrote:Walked into a local shop today and couldn't believe what they were asking for a single 525 round of bulk Federal .22 Ammo. This is the blue box 36gr copper coated stuff. I know it is hard to find but hey had a few boxes sitting on the shelf and they were marked $40.00 a box.

Now I haven't looked for Rimfire ammo in a while but it that the normal going price for rimfire ammo or it that just a bit high??

The fact that you found more than one bulk pack in stock is itself a miracle of sorts, $40 isn't a great deal in the context of what was "normal" before the post election/post Sandy Hook panic but I'd say it's actually fair in the current market. I think a lot of small shops struggle to get any in stock.
yuppiejr

Postby bbk on Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:55 pm

We were promised "change"; I guess this is one of those promises along with everything else.
We get what we deserve.
Get used to it and quit bitching.
bbk

Postby LePetomane on Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:22 pm

Tronster wrote:And no, BHO is not sending your .22lr to Syria. :roll:

You are right Tronster. No .22 lr going to BHO's buddies in Syria. But as the ammo companies fill the government orders first it ties up production time so the ammo that is used by the civilians gets made last, if at all.
Donald Trump got more fat women moving in one day than Michelle Obama did in eight years.
LePetomane

Postby yuppiejr on Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:46 pm

LePetomane wrote:
Tronster wrote:And no, BHO is not sending your .22lr to Syria. :roll:

You are right Tronster. No .22 lr going to BHO's buddies in Syria. But as the ammo companies fill the government orders first it ties up production time so the ammo that is used by the civilians gets made last, if at all.

Really, so military contract ammo is running on the same machines or using the same components as .22 LR? Adjust the tinfoil and try again...
yuppiejr

Postby LePetomane on Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:13 am

yuppiejr wrote:Adjust the tinfoil and try again...

Yuppiejr, My tinfoil hat fits fine. Yes, I do wear one and so do a lot of other clear thinking types on this forum. With the propaganda we are force fed by the loonies in St. Paul a tinfoil hat is good protection. You should try it sometime. And quit getting your news from MPR. This is the problem with you libs.

And you obviously do not know a damn thing about government contracts.
LePetomane

Postby yuppiejr on Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:46 am

I do actually listen to a bit of MPR along with a variety of other sources for news, I tend to mistrust everything and always go looking for more than one source if I think something seems far fetched... a bias that carries over from high school journalism 101 which required 3 reputable sources before publishing a story (something I am fairly certain is no longer done in most modern newsrooms... thus my skepticism) ...do you get your marching orders anywhere but Alex Jones?

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government ... kpile-Myth

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/02 ... y-bullets/

http://www.nraila.org/news-issues/artic ... ition.aspx

.. even the NRA thinks it's a crack-pot theory that distracts from more important threats to the 2a.

I was under the impression from previous threads that rimfire ammunition is produced on entirely different lines and equipment using totally different components that are not common with anything in the scope of the contracts in question. Unless there's a shortage on copper, lead or the basic chemical components of gunpowder that are common in the upstream ammo production supply chain there's simply no way the production capacity for .22 LR is being impacted by these contracts.

It's a basic supply and demand issue... even at maximum output the current production capacity is unable to meet the fear driven demand in the current market that started with the presidential election and kicked into high gear with the Sandy Hook massacre.

I think this article does a pretty good objective job of laying out the reason for the current state of things:

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2013/0 ... -shortage/
yuppiejr

Postby Seismic Sam on Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:40 am

The article sounds right to me. At OGC we can get ammo for the customers, and the OGC Club Store is doing an ever increasing business for members, and 9mm is going for about $12 a box for members. We can get 9mm, 40, 45, and .223, although in limited quantities, and the prices aren't bad.

We CANNOT, however, get ANY 22LR ammo at all. Zero. Zip. Nada. It simply isn't available. Dunno where it's all going. Considering the number of Ruger 10/22's out there which became potential assault rifles, plus all the other 22 rifles, I think the least experienced segment of the gun owners all went bonkers and bought it all up. Plus the gougers and wannabe ammo moguls with their cellphones roaming FF and Wally Mart trying to make a cheap legal buck, which allows them as little less exposure from their usual pastime, which is selling crack to kids. (Not seriously suggesting this, but I think crack dealers and these ammo vultures are made from the same kind of slime, and I hope that they wind up in the same place in Hell... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: )
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Postby Tronster on Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:54 am

Why do the basics of production/distribution/retail/resale escape some people? 2008 was your hint to get a good stockpile of ammo stashed when it was available these last few years, because ammo is esspecially vulnerable to supply and demand. The only people who are justified in whining about ammo are those who are just getting into shooting this year, and I truely feel sorry for them.

The only ammo I've bought this year has been 7.5 Swiss, which isn't exactly a high demand caliber, so don't blame me for the ammo shortage.
Tronster

Postby LePetomane on Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:55 pm

Tronster wrote:Why do the basics of production/distribution/retail/resale escape some people? 2008 was your hint to get a good stockpile of ammo stashed when it was available these last few years, because ammo is esspecially vulnerable to supply and demand. The only people who are justified in whining about ammo are those who are just getting into shooting this year, and I truely feel sorry for them.

The only ammo I've bought this year has been 7.5 Swiss, which isn't exactly a high demand caliber, so don't blame me for the ammo shortage.

It looks as if they have escaped you as well. You are implying that 2008 was the time to stockpile ammo. Would you care to enlighten us what the ammo prices were in 2008?
LePetomane

Postby Seismic Sam on Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:08 pm

LePetomane wrote:
Tronster wrote:Why do the basics of production/distribution/retail/resale escape some people? 2008 was your hint to get a good stockpile of ammo stashed when it was available these last few years, because ammo is esspecially vulnerable to supply and demand. The only people who are justified in whining about ammo are those who are just getting into shooting this year, and I truely feel sorry for them.

It looks as if they have escaped you as well. You are implying that 2008 was the time to stockpile ammo. Would you care to enlighten us what the ammo prices were in 2008?

What, exactly, is your problem?? Weren't you a shooter in 2008 at all, or do you have some sort of memory loss?? Even with my geezerish 64 year old brain, I can still remember buying a Remington 525 brick of ammo for $12.99 at FF, and that was regular price!! They had some sales where a brick of 500 was $9.99, and I think I bought two at that ridiculous price. Ammo didn't start to creep until after the first Tuesday in November, 2008, and gun sales pretty much instantaneously went through the roof, and stayed there for two full years.

The only other shortage of note was that small and large rifle primers flat out disappeared for about 6 months due to having troops in Iraq AND Asscrackistan. And in that case, the prices didn't really go up, it was just that you couldn't get any regular rifle primers.
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Postby LePetomane on Sun Sep 01, 2013 2:08 pm

Seismic Sam wrote:What, exactly, is your problem?? Weren't you a shooter in 2008 at all, or do you have some sort of memory loss??

People who pontificate and infer memory loss on those who do not comply with their way of thinking. Get off your high horse and lighten up a bit.
Last edited by LePetomane on Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LePetomane

Next

Return to Ammunition & Reloading