New to Reloading

A place to discuss calibers, ammunition, and reloading

New to Reloading

Postby jetter79 on Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:37 pm

So I stop by a friends house tonight and learned a little bit about Reloading on his dillon 550b and did a couple of reloads. I'm been thinking about doing it for a while now but that got me really wanting to do it.. Done some research and order The abc's of reloading, lyman 49th, and borrowed Hornady 9th.

My questions are is there any other books you would recommend? I've been looking for a dillon 550b so that will be the reloader that I'm going to purchase. 40 s&w will be the first rounds I start with after many many hours of reading.. Thanks for any input you guys have.. Also I been keeping a eye on here for the 550b in accessories but if anyone knows of a good deal or setup any info would be great..
jetter79

Re: New to Reloading

Postby Sigfan220 on Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:51 pm

Gunstop in Minnetonka stocks all sorts of dillon stuff. Or you can order right from dillon and save the sales tax.
Sigfan220

Postby b727capt on Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:08 pm

Take a look at the Hornady Lock-n-Load also. I picked up an older book called the ABC's of reloading before I took the plunge. It had a lot of general info.
Don't think it will save you any $$ on ammo, you will just shoot a whole lot more!
b727capt

Postby jetter79 on Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:30 pm

Yeah didn't plan on saving any money. Just feel like it's a great hobby for me. Added bonus is when I get into more competitive shooting.
jetter79

Postby liferefugee on Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:36 am

Scheels stocks Dillon as well if I recall. Hornady is another good brand for things, I like having the lock n load progressive and classic so I have a fast option or a single stage without having to redo my dies. Things like the press just come down to personal preference though. Sounds like you have the right books to start out with, also check out Lyman's Pistol and Revolver handbook 3rd edition if your going to start with .40s.
liferefugee

Postby Seismic Sam on Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:01 am

Definitely the Lyman 3rd Edition PISTOL handbook! NOT to be confused with Lyman #49.

Also, be aware that you WILL need to make sure that your crimping is good and solid for the 40. Bullet setback in that caliber upon chambering is the suspected cause for quite a few kabooms, although most of them appear to be associated with earlier generation Glocks where the chamber was heavily dremeled out by my distant cousins slaving away in caves high in the mountains of Austria. Dunno what kind of gun you have, but if it's an early Glock you need to be more careful.

-The 800 pound Reloading Troll
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Postby george on Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:23 am

Good I think, every time I meet another re loader at the range, the ground has been picked clean.
Something you may want to consider while you read is a bulge buster for the .40, I run every one
I load threw one but I do pick up most of my brass from the range. I jest can't let that once fired lay.
Not knowing what it was fired from, fully supported case or not it is a must. Re loading can be kinda therapeutic
until a glitch accrues, a .40 unsupported bulge can be it. UPDATE WHEN YOU GET STARTED. HAVE FUN.
"If the personal freedoms guaranteed by the Constitution inhibit the government's ability to govern the people, we should look to limit those guarantees."
-- President Bill Clinton, August 12, 1993
george

Postby OldmanFCSA on Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:11 am

When I first started loading 40S&W brass, (2005)I picked up once-fired brass after a police/sheriff shoot, about 1800 pieces.
A lot of this I found out later was fired from Glocks.
I resized with standard carbide RCBS die set.
Then loaded all cases with either 155 or 180 grain projectiles.
I shoot Berettas model 96's.
I've had several instances where the case stuck in the chamber either on entering chamber, or really sticking after firing to point of having to drive out with a wood dowel and a hammer.
I've had to go back and check each loaded round with an undersized chamber gage for fit & function.

The Redding die is best currently available for resizing straight wall brass that can be pushed straight thru.

However I modified my RCBS 40S&W carbide die by cutting the top out with a carbide boring bar and turning OD of top knurled surface slightly so a Lee red plastic bullet catcher will fit on top to catch resized case as pushed thru die.
I also made a pusher for the ram for aligning the case into the die. It pushes cases almost all the way thru the carbide, just the way I wanted it.

NOW the thing I did different was to put a decapping pin in bottom pusher in ram. I place case upside down over decapping pin in flash hole. Upon entry into carbide die the resistance is great enough that the primer is pushed out first displacing into previous case still in top of carbide, then the case is pushed thru carbide base first in a manner the pushes displaced brass back into its original position as manufactured. After sizing several cases in this manner, they fall into Lee plastic container on top of die.

My only change to this would be to automate it somehow - I will be thinking of this this Winter. I will turn process upside down so spent primers can be separated from brass before brass falls into tumbler barrel.

By resizing with removal of primer, it allows me to clean cases with SS Pin process which results in PERFECTLY CLEANED CASES, even the primer pocket. My reloaded ammo may outlive me, so I load as if new. (I have target ammo for my 25-06 that was loaded in Feb of 1982)
OldmanFCSA

Postby jetter79 on Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:10 am

Thanks everyone for the info. I will be adding lyman 3rd to my order. Seismic I did not know about earlier glocks thanks. I have Gen 4. I know 40 is less forgiven but just have to be more careful /accurate. From what I have read oldmanfcsa is one of the great teachers for reloading on here.
jetter79

Postby BigDog58 on Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:15 pm

jetter79 wrote:Thanks everyone for the info. I will be adding lyman 3rd to my order. Seismic I did not know about earlier glocks thanks. I have Gen 4. I know 40 is less forgiven but just have to be more careful /accurate. From what I have read oldmanfcsa is one of the great teachers for reloading on here.

Oldman is the BEST Teacher of reloading in these parts! I highly suggest you take a class from him after you complete your reading, and BEFORE you begin loading on your own. You will learn more from that session than you will in a year, on your own. That way, when you begin reloading on your own, you will be POSITIVE you are doing it correctly, and most of all SAFELY. Not only will you learn a great deal, you will also gain confidence, and you will be totally comfortable, that the rounds you produce, will function properly and safely.

Just my $.02

Besides, Oldman is a Great Guy and now a close friend :D
NRA RSO
"Never anger a man that can end you, from another zip code

If necessary to fight, I will Fight like I'm the 3rd Monkey on the ramp to Noah's Arc, and brother, it's starting to rain.
BigDog58

Return to Ammunition & Reloading