SAAMI .357 Drawing/spec question

A place to discuss calibers, ammunition, and reloading

SAAMI .357 Drawing/spec question

Postby Jack's My dog on Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:14 pm

.357 snip.JPG

I just wanted to touch base and check if I was reading this SAAMI diagram. It looks to me that for jacketed bullets .358 to .355 are acceptable and for Lead .359 to .356.

If I am reading this correctly, can I safely assume that the bullets within these specs will safely run in a gun..or is is necessary to slug a bore to determine safe bullets sizes?

Edit**** As pointed out below I failed to Include which caliber this drawing is for.....357. Please note I am not looking for a specific load recipe or such, Rather I just want to verify that I am correctly reading the drawing and related measurements.
Last edited by Jack's My dog on Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jack's My dog

Re: SAAMI Drawing/spec question

Postby usnret on Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:05 am

First off what caliber is this? I am thinking maybe 38 special.
Secondly if it is, you are making this much harder than it has to be. If it is in fact 38 special, then just buy 38 caliber bullets. Then your only dilemma will be, what weight bullet to get.
"The two most important rules in a gunfight are: Always cheat and
Always win."
GLOCK Certified Armorer
usnret

Postby Makarov on Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:53 am

Case length of 1.290 should be .357 mag.

What usnret said and...
All this info should be in at least one of your reloading manuals... ;)

Here are some cast lead:
http://www.missouribullet.com/results.p ... condary=10
Makarov

Postby Jack's My dog on Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:38 am

usnret wrote:First off what caliber is this? I am thinking maybe 38 special.
Secondly if it is, you are making this much harder than it has to be. If it is in fact 38 special, then just buy 38 caliber bullets. Then your only dilemma will be, what weight bullet to get.

The caliber is .357....some useful information i omitted from the sketch label and I will edit accordingly. I have been buying the recommended .38 to .357 sized bullets, verified in both my manuals and the bullet box. When I have read the manuals and the bullet labels, these size differences are listed but not explained.

I guess I should have prefaced the question with ...No I am not cooking up some hot-rodded .357, on my 30 dollar e-scale, and I have been heeding, the wise and oft repeated advice to RTFM. ;)

I am just trying to clarify the why, how, is it safe questions related to the range in bullets size for a specific caliber. And make sure I accurately understand how the SAAMI drawing works, so I have a broader understanding of reloading.....and I don't stand in the isle at Scheels for an hour wondering if I really can use the .358 cast bulk bullets label for .357/.38. Having surveyed the sizes of cast for this caliber I now know .358 is pretty standard. Being able to go to my downloaded SAAMI spec sheet, interpret is correctly and purchase accordingly, will be useful for me when I make the move to other calibers.
Jack's My dog

Re: SAAMI .357 Drawing/spec question

Postby Makarov on Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:44 am

For your .357 Mag you will want to use:
Cast lead bullets mostly in .358 dia
Jacketed bullets in .357 dia.

Here is some excellent info on shooting cast and "bullet fitting".
http://www.lasc.us/Brennan_6-6-3_CastHandgun.htm
Makarov

Postby Pat Cannon on Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:53 am

Slugging your bore for precise fit is for the purpose of ultimate accuracy, and not a safety issue. I don't know what percentage of reloaders do it, but I'd guess it's a pretty elite group.
Pat Cannon

Postby Jack's My dog on Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:01 am

[quote="Makarov"]For your .357 Mag you will want to use:
Cast lead bullets mostly in .358 dia
Jacketed bullets in .357 dia.

Here is some excellent info on shooting cast and "bullet fitting".
http://www.lasc.us/Brennan_6-6-3_CastHandgun.htm[/quote

Thanks for the link I will make sure to read it!
Jack's My dog

Postby highwarden on Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:59 am

Slugging the bore is first and foremost for safety when reloading for older guns, modified guns, smith and home made guns, guns manufactured outside the U S, guns manufactured for foreign governments, etc. In other words any gun where you are not sure of the bore.

For example, several people have been injured and killed by using .243 bullets to reload for a 6mm Lee Navy. Another example, 7.62 Russian is not the same bore as 7.62 NATO. I am sure there are other examples out there such as the various chamberings labeled as .44 or .45.

Remember when reloading RTFM means Read The Full Manual then measure.
highwarden

Postby highwarden on Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:01 pm

double tap
Last edited by highwarden on Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
highwarden

Postby Pat Cannon on Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:13 pm

highwarden wrote:Slugging the bore is first and foremost for safety when reloading for older guns, modified guns, smith and home made guns, guns manufactured outside the U S, guns manufactured for foreign governments, etc. In other words any gun where you are not sure of the bore.

For example, several people have been injured and killed by using .243 bullets to reload for a 6mm Lee Navy. Another example, 7.62 Russian is not the same bore as 7.62 NATO. I am sure there are other examples out there such as the various chamberings labeled as .44 or .45.

Ah, in those cases it IS definitely a safety issue; I stand corrected, thanks. (I had also been under a misunderstanding about what the 'F' in 'RTFM'stood for.)
Pat Cannon

Postby Jack's My dog on Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:09 pm

highwarden wrote:Slugging the bore is first and foremost for safety when reloading for older guns, modified guns, smith and home made guns, guns manufactured outside the U S, guns manufactured for foreign governments, etc. In other words any gun where you are not sure of the bore.

All my firearms are standard factory ones, and I for one will not be modifying them any time soon. And just to be clear.. reading my manuals has led me to ask these questions.
Jack's My dog

Postby Jack's My dog on Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:34 pm

Thank fellas, for the replies they are appreciated.

I think I may have convoluted my main concern, by asking to many questions in the same post, but in regards to the diagram itself...not so much .357 specifically.....I am reading the diagram correctly right?
Jack's My dog

Postby highwarden on Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:56 pm

The meaning of RTFM varies according to the speaker and the audience, but I choose to understand it as Read The Full Manual because the Full part is very important.
highwarden

Postby Pat Cannon on Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:33 pm

Jack's My dog wrote:And just to be clear.. reading my manuals has led me to ask these questions.

Reading AND thinking... good for you.

Jack's My dog wrote:I think I may have convoluted my main concern, by asking to many questions in the same post, but in regards to the diagram itself...not so much .357 specifically.....I am reading the diagram correctly right?

Well, your'e understanding it the same way I do, for what that's worth. I've been reloading .357 for a few years and haven't blown myself up yet.
Pat Cannon

Postby Jack's My dog on Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:09 pm

Jack's My dog wrote: I've been reloading .357 for a few years and haven't blown myself up yet.
I am glad to hear that. ....its tough to know who's advice you should trust when you cant count all their digits.. :lol:
Jack's My dog

Next

Return to Ammunition & Reloading