Sorting .45 SPP and LPP brass with Hornady LNL

A place to discuss calibers, ammunition, and reloading

Sorting .45 SPP and LPP brass with Hornady LNL

Postby gun_fan111 on Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:56 pm

Came up with an idea today, but I strongly doubt it is an original :lol: . Had my LNL setup with size/deprime die only and was running some .45 ACP brass through it and it dawned on me that while my primer tube is empty, I can screen for SPP at the same time by pretending I am seating a primer. The cases with small primer pockets will not let the primer ram go all the way up. Found 5-6 SPP cases this way and will check my resized brass tomorrow one by one to see how consistent my results were.

Question for the forum - is this a workable method or should I stay away from it? Will jamming the large primer ram, lightly, against a small pocket brass cause any damage in the long term?
Did you just buy that beautiful firearm, or are you trying to sell that piece of crap?
gun_fan111

Re: Sorting .45 SPP and LPP brass with Hornady LNL

Postby EJSG19 on Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:53 pm

Shouldn't hurt anything in general. Of course this is assuming things such as not over exerting the lever, thus somehow crimping the spp pocket rendering the primer pocket unable to accept a primer... etc.

As I load on my 550 this happens fairly often. Case won't take a primer, inspect case and sure enough its a headstamp known for being spp. Set case aside and proceed. Not a big deal. I personally see no reason to add an entire separate operation just to sort out the spp cases as it has no effect on my loading or safety.

Then again, if you are the type of person who can cram a lpp into a spp pocket... I don't want to be near you when you fire your reloads.
EJSG19

"Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt."
EJSG19

Postby gun_fan111 on Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:00 pm

Thanks EJ. My only current supply of LPP is Tula, which take some muscling in so I would not feel comfortable skipping the sorting.
Did you just buy that beautiful firearm, or are you trying to sell that piece of crap?
gun_fan111

Postby EJSG19 on Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:51 pm

gun_fan111 wrote:Thanks EJ. My only current supply of LPP is Tula, which take some muscling in so I would not feel comfortable skipping the sorting.

I understand. You will definitely not hear any competent reloader try and fault you for such a decision, myself included. I've merely come to the conclusion that for my own purposes, the extra step is not needed. My way is not necessarily THE way. Talk to someone who's lit a primer on the press and they'll support your caution.

I haven't tried Tula primers, but I know being bullheaded stubborn is a good way to mangle a primer into a spp pocket, or the rare crimped primer pocket (in .45 acp for example).

Good for you for taking every reasonable step you can! :cheers:
EJSG19

"Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt."
EJSG19

Postby noylj on Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:49 am

At least on the Hornady, it is easy to simply remove the "bad" case from the primer station. On my 1050s, it really throws things off.
noylj

Postby engnerdan on Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:57 am

When you are done sorting out that small primer brass, take a count and let me know how much you have. I am running low on SPP 45 and will trade for LPP.
Seismic Sam wrote:When it launches, the marketing will hit you in the face like the shrapnal from a methane explosion in a 3 holer outhouse!! :P :P :P
engnerdan

Postby gun_fan111 on Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:01 pm

engnerdan wrote:When you are done sorting out that small primer brass, take a count and let me know how much you have. I am running low on SPP 45 and will trade for LPP.

So far I am all the way up to ...6 :)
gun_fan111

Postby dronning on Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:42 am

noylj wrote:........ On my 1050s, it really throws things off.

I leave the swager in my 1050 and if I encounter a SPP case it stops the down stroke. Then I reach back and hit the ratchet lever and lift the handle just enough to remove the SPP case. When done this way it doesn't cause any issues with powder charge or my MrBulletFeeder. BUT you can't move the handle any more than just enough to get the case out.
NRA Certified Safety Instructor: Rifle & Pistol
MRRA - Life Member
NRA - Life Member

"They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
~ Ben Franklin
dronning

Return to Ammunition & Reloading