135 grain 10mm load data?

A place to discuss calibers, ammunition, and reloading

Re: 135 grain 10mm load data?

Postby 173rdABN on Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:15 pm

Grouse will get them to 1,700 FPS. Just everyone wait...
173rdABN

Postby Seismic Sam on Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:35 pm

173rdABN wrote:Grouse will get them to 1,700 FPS. Just everyone wait...

I can wait, but seeing as the factory loads are undoubtedly max pressure, if he tries to go beyond THAT he'll show up at Bethesda instead of going back home in one piece.... The only 1700 FPS loads are Glaser Blue 10mm safety slugs with 115 grain bullets....
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Postby 173rdABN on Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:25 am

I just drove to MN and was checking his loads out. 11.2-11.4 blue dot is what was in them, with MAGNUM primers in a 180gr load.

he was getting pressure signs at 10.5gr with magnum primers with 1 blown out and one half way out.

glad I convinced him to pull them and reload them.

thats why I was joking about getting them to 1,700 FPS. He hasn't had a gun blow up yet. I'm really trying to keep him safe.

Don't rip into him to much for the 11.4gr loads. hes a Noob reloader and learning fast. hes a good guy and I have all the faith in the world that he'll be safe.
173rdABN

Postby Seismic Sam on Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:34 am

Well, he deserves 1 demerit for using magnum primers in a 10mm, which is NEVER, EVER done. Add that to using 11.4 grains of Blue Dot with a 180, and you will NEVER find a reloading manual that says you can go that high, and WITH the magnum primer, and you have a major league reloading EFF up. So where did he get the idea that what he was doing was safe, when he had a load that is totally off the reservation as far as any reloading manual is concerned??

Don't rip into him to much for the 11.4gr loads. hes a Noob reloader and learning fast. He's a good guy and I have all the faith in the world that he'll be safe.

Hate to tell you, but 3 days a week Sasha and I visit 60-80 people a day who had all the faith in the world that THEY would be safe, and now they're all trying to just have some kind, ANY kind of a life again. Your faith means nothing to me, and it sure as hell won't protect him if he keeps up this kind of behavior.
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Postby grousemaster on Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:47 am

Seismic Sam wrote:Well, he deserves 1 demerit for using magnum primers in a 10mm, which is NEVER, EVER done. Add that to using 11.4 grains of Blue Dot with a 180, and you will NEVER find a reloading manual that says you can go that high, and WITH the magnum primer, and you have a major league reloading EFF up. So where did he get the idea that what he was doing was safe, when he had a load that is totally off the reservation as far as any reloading manual is concerned??

Don't rip into him to much for the 11.4gr loads. hes a Noob reloader and learning fast. He's a good guy and I have all the faith in the world that he'll be safe.

Hate to tell you, but 3 days a week Sasha and I visit 60-80 people a day who had all the faith in the world that THEY would be safe, and now they're all trying to just have some kind, ANY kind of a life again. Your faith means nothing to me, and it sure as hell won't protect him if he keeps up this kind of behavior.

It was 11 grains of blue dot, he rounded up to 11.4 because he said my crimp was too tight and the magnum primer added .2 (pretty scientific theory, huh? ;) ).

This was after testing 10.5 grain loads which showed pressure signs on only two of the brass I fired, all the rest of the brass looked fine. Figured maybe too tight a crimp on those two.

World of difference there, my goal was to stay within published specs. A couple of the rounds pulled had 11.1 grains, probably due to the lee auto disk measure and the blue dot not metering well, others had 10.8 or 10.9 grains. He informed me that if I'm loading to 11 grains, with a magnum primer and crimp it could be similar to loading to 11.4 grains and put me in the danger zone, and I'm glad I ran it by him! I didn't just go out and shoot them....

I used magnum primers because that's all I could find, and the box specifically says "for standard or magnum pistol loads"...and my Google Fu showed me lot's of people use those exact same primers for 10mm without issue, even with stout loads.

No, I don't want to hurt myself or my gun. Settled on a 10.3 blue dot load for now to error on the side of caution and it's a very accurate load. I realize now my equipment is not precise enough to attempt max loads, as I was surrised to find some charges of blue dot weighing in at 11.1...and others at 10.9

I did get a heavier spring and the vast majority of my 10mm loads are south of 1100fps for plinking and well below any max charge. I just wanted some heavier stuff to simulate what real rounds feel like for practice.

Not a single round pulled had more than 11.1 grains of blue dot in it, okay maybe ONE was at 11.2 but the Lee Disk system sucks and the Hornady digital scale is suitable only for pot dealers (in my newly formed opinion, YMMV)
Last edited by grousemaster on Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
01 FFL
NRA Life Member
NRA Business Alliance
grousemaster

Postby 173rdABN on Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:17 pm

Last edited by 173rdABN on Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
173rdABN

Postby 173rdABN on Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:17 pm

Ok, Grouse, you were right. 11.1 was the highest. I forgot I figured 11.4 with a tight crimp and magnum primer to guess on the high side as far as pressure and how your load would act, goes.
173rdABN

Postby grousemaster on Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:20 pm

173rdABN wrote:Ok, Grouse, you were right. 11.1 was the highest. I forgot I figured 11.4 with a tight crimp and magnum primer to guess on the high side as far as pressure and how your load would act, goes.

and I'm glad you pointed that out and we pulled them, the 10.3 grain load we settled ran fantastically and I'll consider that as my max load for now....until I get a better thrower and scale anyway
01 FFL
NRA Life Member
NRA Business Alliance
grousemaster

Postby Seismic Sam on Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:25 pm

Okay, now I have heard everything. ASSuming a magnum primer equals an additional .2 grains of Blue Dot is a leap of something or other that I have never heard of before, and there is a BIG difference between CCI 350's and Winchester WLP's which really CAN be used in magnum or regular loads with no other considerations. That being said, having a primer blow out at 10.5 and still going up to 11.1 based on an ASSumption that it was the crimp causing it without really verifying that fact is asking for trouble. Also, the hard ceiling for 180 grain 10mm loads is 11.0, NOT 11.1. And yes, as little of .3 grains above max 10mm loads in this area with Blue Dot can get cases to start bulging.

Dunno if I should get out the 2x4 for you or your friend :?: :?: :roll:
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Postby grousemaster on Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:44 pm

Seismic Sam wrote:Okay, now I have heard everything. ASSuming a magnum primer equals an additional .2 grains of Blue Dot is a leap of something or other that I have never heard of before, and there is a BIG difference between CCI 350's and Winchester WLP's which really CAN be used in magnum or regular loads with no other considerations. That being said, having a primer blow out at 10.5 and still going up to 11.1 based on an ASSumption that it was the crimp causing it without really verifying that fact is asking for trouble. Also, the hard ceiling for 180 grain 10mm loads is 11.0, NOT 11.1. And yes, as little of .3 grains above max 10mm loads in this area with Blue Dot can get cases to start bulging.

Dunno if I should get out the 2x4 for you or your friend :?: :?: :roll:

Hey, between the two of us we came up with a safe fix....no dangerous loads were fired. I have a couple left I think if you want to try them in that Bren Ten of yours ;)
01 FFL
NRA Life Member
NRA Business Alliance
grousemaster

Postby Seismic Sam on Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:01 pm

I said Bren Ten LOOK, not actual gun. That two tone beast of mine is a 38 Super that eats 9x23 Winchester ammo
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Postby qualcorp on Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:20 pm

Seismic Sam wrote:I assume you are going for lower recoil in a 10mm? If you're going for SD loads, I'd buy from CorBon or DoubleTap. Bullets that light do have to be set up right to be lethal and NOT just blow up on the outside inch of the perp, and some of those 135 and lower SD loads have ungodly high velocities. With a 200 grain Hornady XTP you just load to 1200 FPS and you're good to go.

That being said, I do have Nosler #7, and they list their 135 grain JHP, and the most accurate powder is (of course) Blue Dot!! Duh! OAL 1.260"
11.5 grs - 1308 FPS
12.0 grs - 1383 FPS
12.5 grs - 1459 FPS MAX

I think that data is lawyered up a bit, and you can peruse the factory loadings to see what they list as FPS. I have managed to get a 165 up close to 1400, so the 135 can probably go faster, but don't bet your life on it!!

Good stuff Sam ! One of my most favorite calibers with my favorite powder now faster than ever thx again-J
" I know the voices aren't real but they have some good ideas"

“Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."
qualcorp

Previous

Return to Ammunition & Reloading