Tumbling media

A place to discuss calibers, ammunition, and reloading

Tumbling media

Postby purd0027 on Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:45 pm

Hi,
How often do you swap out corn cob tumbling media?

Also, how do you dispose of it safely?

Thanks!
purd0027

Re: Tumbling media

Postby Sigfan220 on Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:29 pm

Not to sound smart but I toss it when it looks dirty. It all depends what you put in it. If the brass goes in semi clean it may last a long time. If you are tumbling nasty range finds it may not last long at all. Bottom line if it looks dirty it probably is. If you load a lot and buy in bulk the stuff is so cheap it hardly matters money wise. I spend more on polish than I do media.

I just did a bunch of old nasty lake city 5.56 and the media was looking pretty bad last night. I may swap out my Lyman tumbler media, the rcbs looks fine but hasn't been used as much lately.

Bag it and toss it. It's not nuclear waste.
Sigfan220

Postby EJSG19 on Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:49 pm

Sigfan220 wrote:Not to sound smart but I toss it when it looks dirty. It all depends what you put in it. If the brass goes in semi clean it may last a long time. If you are tumbling nasty range finds it may not last long at all. Bottom line if it looks dirty it probably is. If you load a lot and buy in bulk the stuff is so cheap it hardly matters money wise. I spend more on polish than I do media.

I just did a bunch of old nasty lake city 5.56 and the media was looking pretty bad last night. I may swap out my Lyman tumbler media, the rcbs looks fine but hasn't been used as much lately.

Bag it and toss it. It's not nuclear waste.

I give this a "yup".

Change it when it no longer gives you the desired results on your brass. Simple as that. Setting a routine time to dump your media is just wasting it. No harm done if you tumble brass and decide to tumble again with new media.

About 1% of us can't afford that much tumbling time. If you can't you probably fire through 100k rounds per year. Much less and you need time management training!
EJSG19

"Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt."
EJSG19

Postby b727capt on Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:54 pm

I wash mine in a lingerie bag when it quits cleaning in a timely fashion. Comes out clean and works like new. I haven't dared put it throught the washer like the forum I found the suggestion on. Washed it in a pail with a little dawn.
b727capt

Postby deadarrow on Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:32 pm

I put used dryer sheets in with the media. Cut one up into 4 pieces and let it tumble. The pieces come out really dirty and it helps keep the media clean.
deadarrow

Postby wrench on Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:45 pm

I also use the used dryer sheets to get some of the dirt out, but I bought a 40# sack of corncob blast media at Grainger a few years ago. I've still got over half of it, so I don't sweat it when I dump it out and start fresh.
Remember, gun control is not about guns, it's about control.
wrench

Postby bpacman on Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:10 pm

deadarrow wrote:I put used dryer sheets in with the media. Cut one up into 4 pieces and let it tumble. The pieces come out really dirty and it helps keep the media clean.

Come On Deadarrow!! Tell the truth. You are using used Toilet Paper...not dryer sheets. :D :D

Bp
Good Judgement comes from Experience....Unfortunately a lot of that comes from Bad Judgement.
bpacman

Postby deadarrow on Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:08 pm

Hmmm..... corn cob media.... toilet paper..... then sit lightly on the threaded rod.... nice and clean so you can kiss my......
deadarrow

Postby cobb on Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:37 am

I use the ground walnut bedding used for reptiles and also the dryer sheets. Although the walnut for reptiles is fairly low in dust, the dryer sheets help absorb dust and the crud from the cases. Don't have a specific standard for changing out the media besides it's looks, all depends on the cases and how dirty they are that determines the media life.
“Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result”. - Winston Churchill

RIVER VALLEY TRAINING
MN. DPS/BCA approved training organization.

http://www.RiverValleyTraining.com
cobb

Return to Ammunition & Reloading