Lubing 223

A place to discuss calibers, ammunition, and reloading

Lubing 223

Postby samginko on Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:13 am

I use the three tray system using spray lube. This is getting tiresome, anyone here have a better system? I have three thousand more to size. I am using Hornady full length sizer dies.
samginko

Re: Lubing 223

Postby Countryfried Frank on Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:37 am

Imperial size wax on the fingers as you size. Just give them a little spin as you place them in the shellholder. Reload the wax on your fingers every five pieces or so, more often with larger calibers.
"Sometimes we have to get really high to see how small we are." - Felix Baumgartner
Countryfried Frank

Postby TTS on Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:26 am

I rub Hornady Unique case lube (wax) inside of a 2 gallon bag and roll the brass around for about a minute. One tub of lube has lasted years and tens of thousands of cases.

I can do about 750 cases at a time.
Owner
Tactical Training Solutions
Specializing in Self Defense and Firearms Training
http://www.minnesotaccw.com
TTS

Postby Shawski on Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:01 am

I use an old tomato box lid and dillon case lube, quick and easy.
Shawski

Postby deadarrow on Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:02 am

I use a spray lube from Cabellas. Put a couple hundred cases in a gallon zip lock bag. Lay in flat with the top open. Spray the lube in over the brass. Zip it shut and work it around in the bag. Dump it out on an old cookie sheet and let it dry. I full size all my .223 brass and have never had a stuck case. Then when your done, put them back on the tumbler for a couple hours and your good to go. I tried many methods and found this one is easy and cheap. There are other brands of the same type of spray. Basically it's a suspended wax in alcohol. It's in a pump type spray bottle.
deadarrow

Postby Scratch on Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:09 am

TTS wrote:I rub Hornady Unique case lube (wax) inside of a 2 gallon bag and roll the brass around for about a minute. One tub of lube has lasted years and tens of thousands of cases.

I can do about 750 cases at a time.

I've been lining the cases up, then using a quick shot of one shot spray lube, then rolling them over, and spraying again. I feel like a caveman doing it this way.

I like TTS way much better. Thanks!
01 FFL in Hudson Wisconsin
Scratch

Postby bleukahuna on Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:54 am

A few ways I have lubed mass quantities over the years. Dillon spray lube, put 150-200 cases in a 1 gallon Ziploc bag, give it 4-5 squirts of lube, shake it for a minute or so. Dump them out on some newspaper for a few minutes and size them. You can make this lube by mixing liquid lanolin and 99% isopropol alcohol about 4-5 parts IPA to 1 part lanolin
Lee case lube mixed about 10 to 1 with water. Just immerse the cases in the mix for a few minutes then let them dry completely(overnight is best)
If you're using a progressive press, the RCBS lube die can work well, but you need to keep track of your case count. I went too long between lube fills and experienced my only stuck case.
Cases lubed with the Lee lube can usually be fired as is, be aware the lube is also on the inside of the case, which aids the expander but you may have to check your powder charge. Cases lubed with lanolin or RCBS lube should be cleaned before firing, either wiped with a rag or tumbled in plain corncob for a half hour.
bleukahuna

Postby Sigfan220 on Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:41 pm

Shawski wrote:I use an old tomato box lid and dillon case lube, quick and easy.

+1
I don't use a tomato box but same idea. I can probably spray 200-300 at a time in my box. Just dump them in and spray. For larger calibers I like to stand them up to get some lube on the inside of the neck, but for 223 this doesn't seem to be needed. I really like the Dillon lube.
Sigfan220

Postby samginko on Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:37 pm

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions. I think I will try the tomato box method tonight. I use the Franklin spray lube from midway USA.
samginko

Postby BigDog58 on Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:05 pm

I just began testing a lube I made up. It consists of liquid lonolin and alcohol. I lay my brass on wax paper, give them a quick squirt using a spray bottle and the simply roll them back and forth to cover all of the case. It is fast and if you save the wax paper I have found it takes less spray each time. No stuck cases yet.
NRA RSO
"Never anger a man that can end you, from another zip code

If necessary to fight, I will Fight like I'm the 3rd Monkey on the ramp to Noah's Arc, and brother, it's starting to rain.
BigDog58

Lubing 223

Postby RJWesleyIII on Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:04 pm

I use an old metal cookie can. Put a bunch in, spray with dillon lube, shake, wait a few mins then into the case feeder they go.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
RJWesleyIII

Postby OldmanFCSA on Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:47 pm

BigDog58 wrote:I just began testing a lube I made up. It consists of liquid lonolin and alcohol. I lay my brass on wax paper, give them a quick squirt using a spray bottle and the simply roll them back and forth to cover all of the case. It is fast and if you save the wax paper I have found it takes less spray each time. No stuck cases yet.

This is essence the Dillon Lube - the user manufactured method as described above is highly recommended by the RE_MANUFACTURING people. I know several companies using this method, and I have Dillon's lube, and components to make my own. and I'm stuck on using Imperial Sizing Wax. Someday........
OldmanFCSA

Postby EJSG19 on Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:31 pm

I do Imperial Die wax on a RCBS lube pad. Lube a handful of cases (8-14) usually by laying them all next to each other at the same time and rolling with my palm.

The key here is, every case does NOT need to be lubed. You keep the sizing die lubed enough and you run a lubed case when sizing starts to become noticeably more difficult.

I often get 3-5 dry cases in between each lubed case. I also wear a nitrile glove on my right which does the lube pad. I stand to the right of my dillon and my left hand runs the press handle.

Economy of motion and economy of the tedious stuff (lubing). sizing doesn't take long at all just think it out.
EJSG19

"Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt."
EJSG19

Postby Rodentman on Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:51 am

I lube about every 3rd case with sizing lube with my (gloved) fingers. The sprays never seem to work out for me. I bought 800 1x brass and process 100 at a time. Lube, deprime, resize, trim, chamfer and deburr. Then tumble in the pin tumbler, dry and they go into my WIP inventory. I don't like storing dirty brass. I'm chipping away at the 800, half done. It's a labor of love, and a good pastime on a cold winter day.
Rodentman

Postby Dutch on Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:28 am

I use the Dillon spray in a deep container to avoid lube on the carpet. I cover the bottom with cases, lay 'm flat, spray & shake, poor 'm in the 1050 case feeder.
Men may argue forever on what wins their wars, and welter in cons and pros, and seek for the answer at history's doors, but the man with the rifle knows.
Dutch

Next

Return to Ammunition & Reloading