300 Blackout

A place to discuss calibers, ammunition, and reloading

300 Blackout

Postby Deputyhiro on Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:25 pm

Anybody load this? Anybody form their own brass from 223? Got a wild hair up my arse the other day and decided to build a 300blk pistol. Havent got it built, but the price of brass is crazy. I have an abundance of 223 brass, and from what it looks like, It isnt too hard to convert. Maybe a bit tedious. None the less, It is an itch that I had to scratch.
It is better to have a gun and not need it, than to need a gun and not have it.
Deputyhiro

Re: 300 Blackout

Postby LarryFlew on Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:33 pm

super easy to create your own from your 223. Cut to length, take of the rough edges and form in the die. Have not done any sub sonic since we can't have suppressors anyway but have done a lot in the higher velocities.
If you're having second thoughts you're two ahead of most Democrats
LarryFlew

Location: Hamburg, MN - CZ fan - Class of 66 - USAF 66-70 - NRA life since 1970

Postby Deputyhiro on Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:04 pm

I see they have jigs to mount into a cheap harbor freight chop saw. Found a guy selling jigs online for 30 bucks, so I picked one up. How do you cut to length?
Deputyhiro

Postby Vlad on Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:38 pm

I lube up the case and then put it through the 300 WTF die and end up with a case with a really long 30 cal neck. I then use my lathe style trimmer with a 30 cal pilot and trim to length. you will split a few necks but the split usually gets trimmed out when cutting to length. I have a trim die on order to use with my Dillon trimmer so I will let you know how that works. ;)

Tell you what, send me your brass and I will form and trim your brass for .10 each and send them back to you.
http://www.Schleifleather.com For custom holsters that fit you and the gun, not to mention show off those Strad grips...

The cost of liberty is less than the price of repression."

--W.E.B. Du Bois,
American scholar and civil rights leader
Vlad

Postby BuckKlier on Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:06 pm

Check out Carolina brass on face book, they sell converted 223 brass.
BuckKlier

Postby LarryFlew on Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:15 pm

Made a simple wooden jig to work with mini chop saw that works great
If you're having second thoughts you're two ahead of most Democrats
LarryFlew

Location: Hamburg, MN - CZ fan - Class of 66 - USAF 66-70 - NRA life since 1970

Postby FJ540 on Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:04 am

I just clamp an angle grinder with cut off wheel in the vise and feed them with my fingers, then size, then trim with my regular case trimmer using a cordless drill.

If I was doing a lot of them, I'd probably make something like a WFT.
FJ540

Postby JJ on Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:18 am

In the past, I have just drilled holes thru a 2x4 and used and angle grinder to whack em off. Before that, I used a cutoff wheel in my Dremel, clamped in a vice.

Other than that, Imperial sizing wax and some time are all it takes. Just be careful if you decide to anneal the cases :?
"a man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box." Frederick Douglass
JJ

Postby Deputyhiro on Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:42 am

Cool. This project should keep me busy for a while. Just waiting for the final parts to show up, with the holiday season it is taking an extra long time. Thanks for all the info. :D
Deputyhiro

Postby Rodentman on Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:04 am

FJ540 wrote:I just clamp an angle grinder with cut off wheel in the vise and feed them with my fingers, then size, then trim with my regular case trimmer using a cordless drill.

If I was doing a lot of them, I'd probably make something like a WFT.

Have you considered going into the vasectomy business? You can make a lot of money and make a vas deferens in peoples' lives.
Rodentman

Postby FJ540 on Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:23 pm

With my current dexterity issues, I'd probably cut off more than their nuts. :lol:
FJ540

Postby Deputyhiro on Sun Dec 22, 2013 7:15 am

Lower is built. have Barrel, bolt and so on. Just waiting for gas tube / upper / gas block / hand guard and misc. hardware. I have put together a few ARs, but never assembled the upper. This will be a first.

I was reading that if you are assembling an ar pistol it needs to be built on a pistol lower. I thought, huh? Whats the difference in parts. There is none. You cannot use a lower that was ever used in a rifle build. What the hell does that mean? I bought a stripped lower, so Im good. but if I used a lower from a gun previously registered as a rifle, I am screwed? What sense does that make?
Deputyhiro

300 Blackout

Postby tac870 on Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:00 am

It means that you had to have started with a stripped lower. One that you purchased stripped. Keep the box or receipt as proof. One that came off of an assembled rifle will get you in trouble. Post some pictures when you are done.
tac870

Postby Rodentman on Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:03 am

My son used to date a girl with a stripped lower. I have no photos unfortunately.
Rodentman

Postby Deputyhiro on Sun Dec 22, 2013 8:11 pm

tac870 wrote:It means that you had to have started with a stripped lower. One that you purchased stripped. Keep the box or receipt as proof. One that came off of an assembled rifle will get you in trouble. Post some pictures when you are done.

That is completely pointless. I have bought a few stripped lowers. The others were turned into rifles. Who the hell is going to come checking and why. I would assume if they are nit picking something that stupid, they are suspecting something much bigger. What is this "law" suppose to prevent? Kind of like the 922r laws. Who is going to disassemble your rifle and check the parts any way? If they are doing that, it is because you used it for something a lot worse than target shooting in your back yard. I will post pics of the final product. Shipping is all screwed up with holidays and all. Don't have a clue when the rest will be here.
Deputyhiro

Next

Return to Ammunition & Reloading