press alignment question

A place to discuss calibers, ammunition, and reloading

press alignment question

Postby gun_fan111 on Sun Dec 29, 2013 4:45 pm

Everybody, I still have not mastered getting pictures added, so I will try to explain my concern in as much detail as I can. I have a Hornady LNL AP that is setup for 45ACP right now. I think that my shell plate and dies are slightly out of alignment with each other and am wondering if that is normal or warrants a call to Hornady.

Here is what I am seeing:
- shell plate rotates each pull and clicks into the intended position as it should. I reinstalled it a few times and get same results.
- when I lower my sizing die to touch the U shaped indent on the shell plate it rubs against the sidewall of the pocket and pushes the plate 1/8-1/16 counterclockwise. Case goes in smoothly without catching on the die.
- case goes in smoothly in powder/expander and powder cop
- bullet seating die seems to be doing OK even though I have the body set pretty low and it is definitely closer to one side of the U shaped pocket than the other.
- empty brass sometimes gets slightly caught in the taper crimp die. I can push through it and it goes in without visible damage to the case mouth. Case with the bullet on top goes in better.

I am debating about trying a different shell plate or calling Hornady. I guess the issue could be with baseplate or die positions or even dies themselves...

Thanks.
Did you just buy that beautiful firearm, or are you trying to sell that piece of crap?
gun_fan111

Re: press alignment question

Postby deadarrow on Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:05 pm

You need to adjust the prawls on the bottom of the ram. It dosn't take much to align them. I have to readjust mine every once and a while. Using an allen wrench turn the adjuster screws either way to raise or lower the prawls. Also I use a little Hornady dry lube under the shell plate and the ram. Spray on and wipe with a clean rag. Also make sure there is no debris in the holes where the shell plate indexes. Once you get it set the first time you'll have no problem keeping it aligned as you go. Also make sure the shell retainer spring is in good condition. I just replaced the original spring with a new one after 6 or 7 thousand rounds loaded. When I am loading wad cutters tho I do need to guide the round into the crimp die every time. Never with a rounded nose bullet.
Last edited by deadarrow on Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
deadarrow

Postby gun_fan111 on Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:08 pm

When I first got it the plate did not rotate all the way and I adjusted it. Now the rotation completes fully and the plate clicks into position when those ball bearings reach the indents.
Did you just buy that beautiful firearm, or are you trying to sell that piece of crap?
gun_fan111

Postby igofast on Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:03 pm

I agree with deadarrow, It sounds like one of your adjustments is still out of whack. The right side prawl adjusts the alignment as the plate goes up and the left side prawl adjusts alignment as the plate comes back down, additionally the plate should 'click' into position going up and coming back down. To me it sounds like you need to back out the right side prawl as it's advancing the plate past proper alignment.
igofast

Postby 67camaro on Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:55 pm

Do you have any other plates you can throw on to confirm it is not a problem with the plate itself? Otherwise as the other 2 posters said it may need alignment. I had one plate a 454 casull plate that the cases would get hung up on the ejector tab and sent it in to hornady with 5 cases and next thing you know a week later it comes back in the mail and it works fine with no explanation of what they did. Only got 4 cases back though...
67camaro

Postby gun_fan111 on Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:48 pm

igofast wrote:I agree with deadarrow, It sounds like one of your adjustments is still out of whack. The right side prawl adjusts the alignment as the plate goes up and the left side prawl adjusts alignment as the plate comes back down, additionally the plate should 'click' into position going up and coming back down. To me it sounds like you need to back out the right side prawl as it's advancing the plate past proper alignment.

Hmm, let me take a closer look at that again. It originally stopped too short on the downstroke so I had to adjust the left paw. Even when I have the thing half way up and rotate the plate by hand it stopped in this position like it goes a bit too far.
gun_fan111

Postby gun_fan111 on Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:50 pm

67camaro wrote:Do you have any other plates you can throw on to confirm it is not a problem with the plate itself? Otherwise as the other 2 posters said it may need alignment. I had one plate a 454 casull plate that the cases would get hung up on the ejector tab and sent it in to hornady with 5 cases and next thing you know a week later it comes back in the mail and it works fine with no explanation of what they did. Only got 4 cases back though...

I need to unpack my 9mm stuff and try that out. Will report back in a few days on what I see there.
gun_fan111

Postby gun_fan111 on Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:54 pm

Well, I was able to spend a few more minutes on this and here are the results:

-timing seemed OK, but I reset the screws and adjusted it again. I hear paws and the plate click at the same time unless I move the handle at an extremely excruciating slow pace.

- I also tried another shell plate and it exhibits the same issue. Upstroke of the ram goes a tad farther than being centered

What I now believe is that the plate on top of the ram that the shell plate resides on is slightly misaligned. It does have some slight play in it and when I pull it a bit everything aligns.

I will be giving Hornady a call later this week to see if this is something they can talk me through to fix.

Thanks all!
gun_fan111

Return to Ammunition & Reloading