Montana Gold ... THANK YOU!

A place to discuss calibers, ammunition, and reloading

Montana Gold ... THANK YOU!

Postby Veldy on Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:06 pm

I was using X-Treme bullets and have been pretty happy with them. However, they don't sell in quantities any greater than 500 (the 1000 price is simply twice the 500 price). Their value seems to be pretty good compared to retail at similar quantities. Of course, the only way to really save money with reloading is by buying in bulk and somebody here [I forget who, but thank you!] suggested Montana Gold Bullets, among others. I did some checking around and decided their prices looked good. Further, upon digging, reports on the Internet suggested that not only are they priced well and that they sell in bulk (3750 count for 124gr 9mm luger JHP and 1900 count for 230gr .45 ACP JHP) and they sell JHP in bulk! They are one of the only companies to offer jacketed hollow point bullets at a good price. They shipped VERY FAST and they [heavy] boxes arrived in good condition. The bullets are magnificent! Finally, I can load and practice with what I use for self defense [except I won't load target shooting loads as hot or with expensive powder (i.e. Alliant Bluedot) and instead use a good fast powder with good economy (i.e. Alliant Bullseye).

Anyway, I couldn't be more pleased with the order. I loaded a couple hundred and didn't notice any flaws, and the weight and size seemed to be consistent [I took a few random samples].

Thank you for the link whoever it was that gave it to me! Also, I had a chance to try out the Berry's and they shot as well as X-Treme (or Speer for that fact) FMJ/TMJ except they corrode faster judging by how quickly finger grease shows color changes on the surface of the bullet. Berry's also had some decent bulk prices [via another link from the same poster], but in the end, I went with Montana Gold Bullets and could not be happier!

Consider this a "glowing" preliminary review. I can't say much about how well they shoot as I have been in a slump [shooting a little to often I think with different loads and calibers] as my groups have suddenly broken no matter what I am shooting. After my break, if I find that these bullets have some flaw [which I highly doubt], I will be sure to mention it :-)
You could get a new lease on life -- if only you didn't need the first and last month in advance.
Veldy

Re: Montana Gold ... THANK YOU!

Postby 1911fan on Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:38 pm

I wonder what John Walton would sell bulk boxes of bullets for. One would have to pay sales tax, but shipping would be in the price as well, I think Montana ships for "free" but the $5.00 fee for residential address's is added on if you don't have a loading dock.
1911fan

Postby Einthoven's Triangle on Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:33 pm

Geez wonder who pointed those providers......out to you? HMMMMM!!!!!!
Einthoven's Triangle

Postby Einthoven's Triangle on Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:38 pm

I tend to think that most of the reloading component suppliers have sort of changed their packaging....so that affects what can stocked.... and sold for decent price.

I can remember that John used to have bulk packed 230gr MagTech FMJ bullets for 65 bucks a box! But, the price jumped when they were packed in 100ct bags like Winny does now...Hornday has some large packages....as Midway seems to stock them at times....and how John gets 22cal bullets.....

The MG bullets seem to be a good value.....in the case lots!

Inventory takes up space....and hard to compete with some things....
Einthoven's Triangle

Postby 1911fan on Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:53 pm

Other options include asking john to order stuff prepaid for a case lot. Besides space inventory eats money.
1911fan

Postby Veldy on Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:01 pm

Einthoven's Triangle wrote:Geez wonder who pointed those providers......out to you? HMMMMM!!!!!!

Thanks! I was too lazy to go through that thread and check .... but I am ecstatic about the order so I wanted to send out my thanks right away :-)
You could get a new lease on life -- if only you didn't need the first and last month in advance.
Veldy

Postby macphisto on Sat Nov 01, 2008 12:58 am

Cool, I'll have to check them out. Thanks, Einthoven!
Last edited by macphisto on Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
macphisto

Postby Stradawhovious on Sat Nov 01, 2008 6:31 am

macphisto wrote:
Einthoven's Triangle wrote:Geez wonder who pointed those providers......out to you? HMMMMM!!!!!!

Way to toot your own horn, yet again, you incredible jagoff.

:rotf: :rotf:
If you're reading this, there are better than even odds you are a d-bag.
Stradawhovious

Postby Veldy on Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:27 am

macphisto wrote:

Way to toot your own horn, yet again, you incredible jagoff.

Well, I am glad that he did as he deserves the credit for leading me to their site [I had actually found it and bookmarked it earlier, but never visited again until I saw his posting here and decided to look for information on reputation and quality. So far, they load very well .. to he "milli-inch" ... very consistent bullets, more so than the X-Treme bullets that I was using [lots of dents in the SWC, but no real adverse effects when shooting them ... so they are good, but they only sell boxes of 500 bullets]. I bought 1 case of each of what I want to practice with from Montana gold and couldn't be happier. I am now testing various loads to decided what my "range" load is going to be ... loading is at least 1/2 the fun ;-)

So, thanks to the horn tooter.
Veldy

Return to Ammunition & Reloading