Big trouble with the Precision Delta group buy

A place to discuss calibers, ammunition, and reloading

Big trouble with the Precision Delta group buy

Postby Seismic Sam on Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:09 pm

It has come to my attention through the efforts of another individual who has been trying to get his money back for two full months from BigDog (Jim Roberts)that the whole buy is in serious trouble. What I am about to tell you may be more or less true, but the Minnesota Department of Revenue apparently seized all of Jim's assets sometime before Christmas, and supposedly ALL the money we had paid was seized too. While Jim claims the seizure was done without any warning whatsoever, by his own admission he had been sending in documents to MNDOR for some time concerning a divorce settlement, so he had to have known that a forced levy was possible. As additional information from MNDOR, this can be found on their website:

What should I do if some of the funds in my account do not belong to me?
If you are using your account to hold funds for another individual you need to file an exemption form. Follow the instructions in the letter you received notifying you of the levy.​

This tells us two things: Jim had to have received a notice from the State notifying him of a levy at some point before the seizure, and as noted above was sending in paperwork to try and prove that he didn't owe any money. Secondly, based on the above, if he had just bothered to file a simple notice of the funds he had collected from us, then they would still be there.

It may not be as simple as this, however, if Jim commingled our funds with his, or spent our funds and then planned to pay for the bullets whenever they showed up out of his own pocket. There are countless other variations of what could have happened, and it's a waste of time to consider them or debate them in this forum.

As far a Jim's assertions that nobody at PD will give him any answers, this is an outright lie, as another member of this board was able to call up PD, got a very nice lady to talk to, and she was able to locate Jim's order in under a minute. It is a verifiable fact that Jim has placed the remainder of the order on hold sometime last year, and here are the bullets that are in stock and waiting to be released from PD at this point:

Qty
4000 180gr .40
9000 .45
5000 115gr 9mm
3000 124gr 9mm
4000 124grHP 9mm

Total of quantities on order and on hold per Jim $2801.00

Unfortunately, the money to pay for these bullets is no longer around, and at this point there's no telling where or if it still exists. For the record, I am out $226 for 1000 9mm bullets and 1000 45 ACP bullets. I signed up for those quantities when Jim announced that some people had bailed from the initial deal, and up until now was quite content to let the money ride, but I had told Jim that in April I wanted my money back, because if they haven't showed up in a year with other people getting theirs in 2 - 3 months, then the order probably died and they were never going to come. Little did I know how much I underestimated what had happened to the order.... :cry:

Now, as far as what to do about this, it's pretty clear that we will probably never get the straight story from Jim, so there's no point in asking. We have already had one member try for two months, and he has gotten every excuse and stall tactic under the sun, and with the revelation that the money may have been seized if it still existed in a separate pile, there's absolutely no point in asking for more of the same. All that will do is waste your time, and what we need to do is co-operate to gather what facts we know for ourselves, and I am volunteering to be the fact gatherer.

What I am looking for are people in three separate buckets to PM me with what they know about this whole situation.

Bucket #1 is people who supposedly backed out of the original purchase, and obviously they didn't lose any money on the deal. It would be very valuable, however, to find out how many people actually backed out, and the quantity of bullets they had ordered. I promise I will not release your name to anyone, and all that is needed is how many bullets your ordered and how much money you DIDN'T spend. At this point, maybe you knew something we didn't and had good reason to bail when you did.

Bucket #2 is people who paid for bullets and actually got them. (You lucky stiffs!) Just tell me what you received and how much it cost, and you can walk away from this thread a happy (and thankful) camper.

Bucket #3 is people like me who paid for bullets after being told that other people supposedly bailed out of the deal, so tell me what you ordered and how much money you are out.

I will personally admit that I got sucked into this because I felt sorry for Jim, what with all his health problems, and decided to be a stand-up guy and help out. I suspect some of you signed on for the same reason, and it's also a fact that PD's bullets are a damn good deal.

I would like to make a plea for everybody to show some restraint here, so please don't let this thread turn into a major shytestorm and a gnashing of teeth and rending of garments. I would also like to caution Jim that posting any stories whatsoever about what happened or how the money will all be repaid someday is just "More Of The Same", and we don't need that in here either. At this point none of that serves any purpose at all, and what we need to get to the bottom of this is tally up who ordered what and when they did it, and who got their stuff and who didn't.

When I have additional information, you'll hear it, so PM me with your own data on this ASAP, and thank you for your assistance.
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Re: Big trouble with the Precision Delta group buy

Postby MaryB on Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:16 pm

Just a suggestion but maybe a file of documents showing canceled checks, paypal transactions, and credit card transactions presented to the state could free up the money. Speaking from experience that medical problems do interfere with the ability to think straight. Yes this could have been handled better.
MaryB

Postby Seismic Sam on Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:27 pm

MaryB wrote:Just a suggestion but maybe a file of documents showing canceled checks, paypal transactions, and credit card transactions presented to the state could free up the money. Speaking from experience that medical problems do interfere with the ability to think straight. Yes this could have been handled better.

Do you really think that if I or anybody else outside of the NSA had access to documentation that detailed I would have posted this at all?? Would YOU like to ask 10 -20 members of this board for copies of their credit card statements and bank transactions?? Howabout you send me a copy of yours just to prove your point?? Turns out that he supposedly put the money in his account, and then deposited funds into the bullet account, so the paper trail is gone, and our money is tainted and going somewhere else. Supposedly.
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Postby Rodentman on Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:33 pm

Sam, PM sent.
Rodentman

Postby Mauser98 on Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:26 pm

Hmmmm..........

I happened across SS's initial post almost the minute it was posted. I have written and rewritten, walked away, rewritten again, my response. I just don't know how to respond to this kindly, as SS has, so I'll keep most of it off the board.

I joined in to help Jim out when others had bailed. I didn't need the bullets either, I have 10K of 9mm on the shelf, but I thought I was helping out a guy stuck in a bind. I don't really care if I get bullets for my money, I'll take any variation of firearm, reloading equipment, other reloading components that Jim has on his shelf, or if Jim heads over to the pawn shop with whatever valuable he has and comes out with my cash, I'd take that. Heck, if it's a firearm that is more than my portion of the group buy, I'd cover the difference, if it something I'm interested in.

Sam, PM sent.

P.S. I retract my statement about PD from my other topic. I will have to give them a try after my current stock is firmly imbedded in a backstop.
Mauser98

Postby fabb600 on Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:38 pm

I am one of the original buyers/suckers. 4000 x 124gr x 9mm.

I'll hold off most comments for now, but there was some level of deception going on for quite a while here.

PM Sent.
fabb600

Postby mmcnx2 on Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:04 pm

I have a question and if this is not appropriate moderators feel free to delete, but I'm sincere in my desire to understand this forum.

99% of the folks I've chatted, met and shot with from this forum are great folks. When we have someone that clearly shows themselves to be in the one percent why is this person allowed to remain instead of being banished.

I looked through this persons past month posts. If what Sam says is right(and he is very seldom wrong) this person has a significant amount of money from our mutual friends here. Yet in the past weeks he has offered to trade or buy guns, mags, reloading supplies, ect from numerous others. If someone owes another person money shouldn't they not be buy stuff from others or offering trades. I mean if he is willing to trade something he has for something he wants how about trading it to the person he already owes to even the debt.

Sorry for the rant but this kinda stuff within our our group makes me feel like I need a shower to wash the dirt off.
mmcnx2

Postby Seismic Sam on Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:52 pm

Good points, mmcnx2. Wasn't aware of that activity, and it certainly doesn't jibe with having your assets seized and saying you're broke and can't pay people back.

Note: I am considering this all one buy, because we're all either screwed or not screwed
Fifth running total:

Bucket 1: Two people who passed their orders off to other board members who are in Bucket 3.
Bucket 2: Two people who got their orders for a total of $729
Bucket 3: Twelve people who are out a total of $3,576.00.
Last edited by Seismic Sam on Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:30 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Postby MaryB on Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:01 pm

I wasn't suggesting doing it publicly, work with the state to see if there is an out... as I said just a suggestion
MaryB

Postby Seismic Sam on Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:17 pm

MaryB wrote:I wasn't suggesting doing it publicly, work with the state to see if there is an out... as I said just a suggestion

Sadly, one of the board members tried to do that before this post got started, and there is no way any of US can appeal to the state to get our money back, period. They won't even talk to us. And since the funds were co-mingled, the evidence trail has been effectively destroyed, and can never be resurrected even if Jim were to try and get that money back from the State through the appropriate process. It's gone, folks, and it's not coming back ever unless Jim can win a court case, and you can imagine how long that could be.
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Postby BigDog58 on Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:43 pm

mmcnx2 wrote:I have a question and if this is not appropriate moderators feel free to delete, but I'm sincere in my desire to understand this forum.

99% of the folks I've chatted, met and shot with from this forum are great folks. When we have someone that clearly shows themselves to be in the one percent why is this person allowed to remain instead of being banished.

I looked through this persons past month posts. If what Sam says is right(and he is very seldom wrong) this person has a significant amount of money from our mutual friends here. Yet in the past weeks he has offered to trade or buy guns, mags, reloading supplies, ect from numerous others. If someone owes another person money shouldn't they not be buy stuff from others or offering trades. I mean if he is willing to trade something he has for something he wants how about trading it to the person he already owes to even the debt.

Sorry for the rant but this kinda stuff within our our group makes me feel like I need a shower to
wash the dirt off.

Tonight, I wrote SS a PM asking him to post my direct email, because I fully expect to be banned. I tried to explain what happened but it fell on deaf ears. I'm sorry these funds were levied by the state tax dept. I'm appealing it, I have retained an attorney because first I don't owe them and second, the funds were not mine for them to take. The problem, according to the conference call between myself, my attorney and the state today, was the way I deposited the funds as I received them. Because the account was new I could not remember the account number every time, so I simply deposited into my checking account and then electronically transfered the funds into the proper account. They insist this is co-mingling of funds and disallows any exemptions. My attorney believes this is going to have to go to court before it is settled. He has told me not to expect anything from the state until the court date, which may take months.

I can only assure each person involved, I will refund every penny. Because of my limited income, large medical and medication expenses, it is going to take me quite a while to repay each of you. I plan to repay each in order that I received their funds. The ones that got the bullets from the first shipments of course won't receive a refund unless thet did not get their full order. This is a very embarrassing thing for me. I have never taken a dime from anyone, nor have I been a thief. I know you only have my word you will get repaid and right now I know that isn't what you want to hear.

Given the likelihood I'll be banned from here I won't be able to reply nor see PM's. So I ask that each of you I owe, to please email me directly with your name, user name and addresss. I will need your name, for the cashiers check ( when I can send your refund) and your address to mail it to you. I have a hand written record of the amount each of you sent and the date I received it. ? I do ask that you include the amount you sent simply so I can confirm my records are correct. I do not wish to short anyone a single penny.. Monday, I sent MarkL half of what he is owed. I had planned to send the full amount but my doctor prescribed a new nerve pain medication that was far more than I expected (my insurance has a high deductible, my wifes I should say) so I sent him every thing I could. He will be mailed the second half on the 19th when I get my SSI.

Lastly, I began these group buys to try and help everyone get the supplies they needed. I expected nothing for doing this. A good friend and fellow board member told me I was crazy, but I have always enjoyed helping others when I could. Had I known that ANY of this would occur, I never
would have undertaken it. I fully expected it to go as I was told it would and everyone would have
their items by the end of September and everyone would be happy. Ican say one thing for certain,NEVER again will I take on a project like this one, no matter how badly I want to help another board member. The effort just isn't worth the heartache if something goes wrong. Sam said I should not blame PD and I agree. The fault is mine and mine alone. I will make it right to each of you no matter how long it takes me. I will miss many of the great people here. I'm sure I will see some of you at gun functions or shooting, or possibly on other forums. I can only say I am very sorry and you will get your money back, no matter what!

My direct email is BigDog58@gmail.com

Jim
NRA RSO
"Never anger a man that can end you, from another zip code

If necessary to fight, I will Fight like I'm the 3rd Monkey on the ramp to Noah's Arc, and brother, it's starting to rain.
BigDog58

Postby Eleanor08 on Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:12 am

I would like to say something here.

First off, if you knew that our orders where not going to come, for whatever reason, just simply tell us.. Hey we get it, schmit happens, yeah I pist that I am out $226.00, but whatever man, life goes on. I don't want you to try and refund me my money, keep it, or the state keeps it, or whatever. I look at it this way, I just learned a lesson.

My bottom line is I am sure someday I will screw something up, and look like a clown, and hopefully the people I hose over will look at my mistake the same way.

So keep my money.. Life goes on.
Eleanor08

Postby bpacman on Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:57 am

PM sent to Sam and email sent to Jim. All the good intentions does not make up for the lack of integrity in this matter.

Bp
Good Judgement comes from Experience....Unfortunately a lot of that comes from Bad Judgement.
bpacman

Postby MnHornet on Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:40 am

SS you need another bucket for the second group buy.
I'm very disappointed.
Proud to be Deplorable.
MnHornet

Postby jspace on Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:46 am

Eleanor08 wrote:I would like to say something here.

First off, if you knew that our orders where not going to come, for whatever reason, just simply tell us.. Hey we get it, schmit happens, yeah I pist that I am out $226.00, but whatever man, life goes on. I don't want you to try and refund me my money, keep it, or the state keeps it, or whatever. I look at it this way, I just learned a lesson.

My bottom line is I am sure someday I will screw something up, and look like a clown, and hopefully the people I hose over will look at my mistake the same way.

So keep my money.. Life goes on.

This^
It's not the money, it's being lied to and strung along.
jspace

Next

Return to Ammunition & Reloading