Where's the powder?

A place to discuss calibers, ammunition, and reloading

Where's the powder?

Postby Rodentman on Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:26 pm

Seems that primers are more available lately but powder is almost as scarce as Sam. I dunno what happened in either case. Hoffy's isn't gonna carry bullets, powder, or primers anymore. Guess they can't get any to sell.

I see a trickle of 22lr but next to no 22mag. Well, at the prices they are charging it's cheaper to reload lead bullets in .38spl.
Rodentman

Re: Where's the powder?

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:08 pm

Powder is out there, but just like 22 ammo it gets picked off the shelf as fast as it gets stocked.
I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Postby loose on Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:57 pm

I struck out a scheels again tonight.
loose

Postby Sammichman on Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:09 pm

Last trip to FF in Carver empty shelves
Sammichman

Postby andrewP on Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:11 am

Yeah, seems like any time I stop by FF (or anywhere else that theoretically carries powder), the shelves are bare, or at least bare of what I need. If anybody knows where I can pick up *any* of the following powders, I'd appreciate a heads up, as I'm down to about 1/3 of a pound and USPSA season is coming up soon. Basically, I'm looking for anything that's appropriate for loading to minor power factor in 9mm with 124 grain plated bullets. First choice based on what I've been reading over the last year or so would be Alliant e3, but VV N320, N330, Win231/HP38, SR7625, Unique, Accurate #5, WST, and Titegroup would all be acceptable.

Last time I was at Wolf's Den, they had some PB, but the load data I've read for that seems to indicate I'd have to be at or above listed max charge weight in order to achieve minor power factor with 124 grain bullets, which is not something I'm comfortable with. (Ideally, I'd like to be at 1050+ FPS/130 PF in order to have at least a little bit of cushion.)
andrewP

Postby Rodentman on Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:20 am

I think I'll take inventory and go from there. A pound feeds quite a few rounds, my problem is that I want to keep stock on too many powders, and I don't *really* need that many. I don't want get sucked into hoarding. It's an easy pitfall.
Rodentman

Postby andrewP on Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:40 am

Well, if you feel like you're hoarding too much, I'm sure there are plenty of people out there who'd be willing to help you reduce your inventory. :)
andrewP

Postby oldhunter on Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:56 am

I have some Unique I'd get rid of, just for what I paid for it. The only problem is I live up by Remer and can't ship. I bought a 1 lb container and then received some on a deal from a local reloader. 21.99+ the tax I paid. Also a partial container of Universal.
oldhunter

Postby loose on Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:12 pm

Rodentman wrote:I think I'll take inventory and go from there. A pound feeds quite a few rounds, my problem is that I want to keep stock on too many powders, and I don't *really* need that many. I don't want get sucked into hoarding. It's an easy pitfall.

Ha ha I bought 2 lbs of ar comp last time scheels had it in stock just cause it was in stock, no plan to actually use it, unless 8208 falls off the face of the earth.
loose

Postby crbutler on Sat Mar 29, 2014 5:47 pm

My experience this year has been that powder is easier to find than .22 LR, but you will not find much of the popular stuff staying on the shelf.

Ahlman's in Morristown had a really good selection at their reloading show, then within 2 or 3 weeks pretty much all the popular stuff that they had was gone. I had asked them to get me some blue dot for my hunting loads and that came in a few weeks later, and they had a bunch on the shelf when I went to get it. I suspect that its gone by now.

I tend to order quite a bit when I get it so I do tend to have to pick the stuff up a lot less often. I also tend to use different stuff than most (like Vhitavouri) so I don't feel like I hoard, even if I buy in case lots. With that history, Ahlman's has been pretty good about putting 1-2 pounds away for me if I ask them to. I don't know if they do that for everyone, and it does involve putting money down... even so, some stuff I have not seen in a long time- RL 15, Bullseye, Win 748, in essence, what most people use in volume. I guess what I am saying is that you need to plan in advance if you want something, as right now, the odds of any store having what you want in stock at any given time are not good.

The on line vendors are getting shipments, but they seem to not stick around long so you need to backorder, and of course paying hazmat on 1# of powder is silly...
crbutler

Where's the powder?

Postby Spinner on Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:12 pm

I'm looking for HP38. Wolfs Den hasn't seen any in over a month. I'll pay $ or trade WWB or Ranger T in 9mm.

Spinner
Spinner

Postby Deputyhiro on Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:34 pm

crbutler wrote:My experience this year has been that powder is easier to find than .22 LR, but you will not find much of the popular stuff staying on the shelf.

Ahlman's in Morristown had a really good selection at their reloading show, then within 2 or 3 weeks pretty much all the popular stuff that they had was gone. I had asked them to get me some blue dot for my hunting loads and that came in a few weeks later, and they had a bunch on the shelf when I went to get it. I suspect that its gone by now.

I tend to order quite a bit when I get it so I do tend to have to pick the stuff up a lot less often. I also tend to use different stuff than most (like Vhitavouri) so I don't feel like I hoard, even if I buy in case lots. With that history, Ahlman's has been pretty good about putting 1-2 pounds away for me if I ask them to. I don't know if they do that for everyone, and it does involve putting money down... even so, some stuff I have not seen in a long time- RL 15, Bullseye, Win 748, in essence, what most people use in volume. I guess what I am saying is that you need to plan in advance if you want something, as right now, the odds of any store having what you want in stock at any given time are not good.

The on line vendors are getting shipments, but they seem to not stick around long so you need to backorder, and of course paying hazmat on 1# of powder is silly...

Still had half dozen lbs of bluedot on the shelf as of this morning. ;) I was looking for bl(c)2.. Havent seen any of that around for a while.
It is better to have a gun and not need it, than to need a gun and not have it.
Deputyhiro

Postby Sammichman on Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:18 pm

Iv'e got some IMR 4350 and 4831 If any body needs Cost plus tax,looking for some RELOADER 15 If you have some to swap
Sammichman

Postby jspace on Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:41 pm

I saw RL15 at Ammocraft on Monday.
Was looking for H4895 or BL-C(2).
jspace

Postby OldmanFCSA on Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:57 pm

Wolf's Den has 5 pound jugs of Reloder15.
For $100.
OldmanFCSA

Next

Return to Ammunition & Reloading