Where's the powder?

A place to discuss calibers, ammunition, and reloading

Re: Where's the powder?

Postby Rodentman on Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:06 am

I took inventory and have quite a bit, just stretched over many different types. Pretty good shape in the staple powders....the ones I use most, Trail Boss 6 cans, and H110 4 lbs. Between those and the smattering of a pound or 2 of 2400, power pistol, AA7, Blue Dot...I' gonna run through some of the current stock.

Did get a refill on primers but one of the boxes opened in shipment and 4 primers are in orbit somewhere. At least the different kinds didn't get mixed up. Needed SRM for the 454. Puzzling why that's a small primer when the 45 colt is large...
Rodentman

Postby SSBotanyBay on Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:50 pm

If anyone is going to the steel shoot I have some of the powders y'all are looking for and I am in need of H335 and possibly some more Unique. The spare unopened jugs that I have are (2) 1 lb. BL-C2, (1) 1lb. H-110, (1) 1lb. IMR-4895, (1) :roll: 1lb. RedDot, and (1) 1lb. Varget. Not looking to make any money here but to help out some fellow reloaders and hopefully acquire something I need. I will be hitting up a couple out of the metro shops on Monday and will see what I come across.
"There is nothing more uncommon than common sense."---Thomas Chalmers
SSBotanyBay

Postby OldmanFCSA on Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:19 pm

I have 8 pound jug of Red Dot if anyone is interested in sale or trade for Unique or Win296 or H335.

I have 8 pounds of IMR4198 for sale or trade, same needs.

I have 2 pounds of Win231 for sale or trade, same needs.

This is open for discussion, unless Moderators feel it needs to be move to Marketplace.

Trying to help others, in this time of need.
OldmanFCSA

Postby solidgun on Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:24 pm

I really need some Solo 1000 to repay a huge favor owed. If someone can let me know if you see this powder in stock somewhere, that would be great. I don't expect to have any luck, but it would be nice to get this for a friend. I check 3 local reloading shops regularly and haven't seen it.
A fool takes no pleasure in understanding, but only in expressing personal opinion. —PROVERBS 18:2
solidgun

Postby crbutler on Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:16 pm

The one thing I thought of that would be a positive of this situation is that maybe the reloading component companies might just break down and publish the data they have for the "less than optimal" component sets.

One of their little comments is that "if it is not listed it is because of a reason- it just does not work well, or may have some inherent problem..."

While I can certainly see that stuffing a .223 case full of retumbo is not particularly effective, it would be nice if they made some comments on it. I know that it will not work well, but just how bad is it? (I suspect it does not generate sufficient pressure to obturate and seal well.)
crbutler

Postby andrewP on Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:11 am

FF Oakdale got at least some powder in from Alliant; I just picked up 2 pounds of Unique this morning, and at a good price, too - even after tax, it was under $19/pound. I said I'd take 3 or 4 pounds and the guy brought out 2, so either I got the last of the Unique or they're rationing it to 2 pounds/customer. Their display also had Red Dot and a few others I hadn't seen there recently. (Sorry, I didn't take notes - I was just so excited to see something I could actually use that I basically grabbed it and ran!)

Anyway, the upshot is that if you need powder, it might be worth stopping by there sometime soon.
andrewP

Postby Seismic Sam on Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:37 am

Wolf's Den continues to have one of the better selections out there, and the prices are pretty good.
Of course there's Gunstop, but I'm not sure about the size of their inventory. The one sleeper is Ammocraft about a mile away to the East of Gunstop on Shady Oak Road, and they have a surprising amount of powder for being a funky little sorta gunstore mimimalist reloading place.
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Postby Seismic Sam on Sun May 11, 2014 10:46 am

Well, was at Wolf's Den a few days ago, and they are pretty much OUT of powder for the first time in months. Apparently the hoarders are having another case of the Sandy Hook willies, and need to buy more just to calm themselves down. Dunno about Gunstop, but John Boy appears to be back full time, and I asked him how it was going, and he said it was like spinning your wheels and not really going anywhere, so he's getting some stuff in and running out of other stuff. Seems to have more bullets than I remember from months past, but not sure about powder. Wonder how big a stampede there will beat Cabela's on the 15th this month??
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Postby MXGreg on Sun May 11, 2014 12:16 pm

Seismic Sam wrote: Wonder how big a stampede there will beat Cabela's on the 15th this month??

I was at Cabela's last weekend and their reloading powder section has been reduced to about 3' of the bottom shelf under the primers. It was really pathetic. Ahlman's was also more empty shelf space than powder, lots of a few types that nobody uses and none of anything else.
MXGreg

Postby andrewP on Sun May 11, 2014 12:38 pm

MXGreg wrote:
Seismic Sam wrote: Wonder how big a stampede there will beat Cabela's on the 15th this month??

I was at Cabela's last weekend and their reloading powder section has been reduced to about 3' of the bottom shelf under the primers. It was really pathetic. Ahlman's was also more empty shelf space than powder, lots of a few types that nobody uses and none of anything else.

I believe that Sam was referring to the new Cabela's in Woodbury that's having its grand opening on the 15th. Presumably they'll have *some* stock of powder & primers for about 1-2 minutes after they open. :)
andrewP

Postby MXGreg on Sun May 11, 2014 1:56 pm

andrewP wrote:
MXGreg wrote:

I believe that Sam was referring to the new Cabela's in Woodbury that's having its grand opening on the 15th. Presumably they'll have *some* stock of powder & primers for about 1-2 minutes after they open. :)

Gotcha. Forgot all about it. ;)
MXGreg

Postby Rodentman on Mon May 12, 2014 5:18 pm

The Woodbury Cabela's is having an open house for silver and black CC holders tomorrow. Not sure if I can make it since we are supposedly closing the books for April. Hopefully I'll get there.
Rodentman

Postby dleong on Wed May 14, 2014 9:55 am

Picked up a 1 lb. canister of W296 from WD earlier this week. Felt like I struck gold.
dleong

Postby Rodentman on Wed May 14, 2014 3:55 pm

Pistol powders are pretty scarce right now. I'm sitting pretty well with supplies right now. And I love the smell of H110 in the morning. I think it's time to take the DE50 and FA 454 to the range. I am anxious to get to OGC. Too bad I can't walk worth a crap these days.
Rodentman

Postby dleong on Fri May 16, 2014 8:01 am

Rodentman wrote:And I love the smell of H110 in the morning.

As do I, the only difference being it doesn't just have to be in the mornings. W296/H110 smoke has a subtle cinnamony aroma that I do not find unpleasant; an extended session shooting W296/H110 handloads usually leaves my clothes infused with that smell, and I've had people ask me what kind of laundry detergent I use.
dleong

PreviousNext

Return to Ammunition & Reloading