Missouri 9mm Small Ball...

A place to discuss calibers, ammunition, and reloading

Missouri 9mm Small Ball...

Postby Rodentman on Sun May 04, 2014 7:49 am

No they didn't name the round for me, probably because they don't know me.

Does anyone load these, 125g Small Ball bullets? I ask because I know that each gun/bbl is different and chamber dimensions are not uniform. My 9mm EMP has a tight chamber, and this is pretty well known that the EMP's, at least some of them had this condition.

When loading the small ball, I have to reduce the OAL to about 1.07 to allow feeding in my XD-M. The national forums are filled with similar comments, due to the shape of the bullet.

My question is: Given that you need to reduce the OAL to that degree, thus reducing the case volume, how do you know how this will affect the load, IOW is "start low and work up" sufficient? I haven't blown myself up yet but how do I know I'm not on the edge (with respect to this load, not my mental state please).

I WILL say that 4.0g Titegroup seems a bit much with this combination due to leading in the 628 (in which the OAL isn't really an issue for the gun). The XD-M ran OK with the rounds at 1.07 but had FT Feed at 1.15. I should note that the 1.07 rounds were at 3.5g Titegroup, which is now what I plan to use.
Rodentman

Re: Missouri 9mm Small Ball...

Postby 870TC on Sun May 04, 2014 11:32 am

Small correction that's a 124 grain Round Nose....and yes that does mean something in this case. The bullet comes from a mold made By Magma Engineering, they offer two styles of R.N. in this weight area. The 124 is what you have and what they recommend if you call and ask which mold is better and more popular.
Maybe the mold maker can best answer your question, as they designed the bullet. I'm sure they would be interested in addressing your issues. I've called and talked to a guy named Mark about other things, he was always helpful.
EMAIL US: sales@magmaengineering.com
Address:
PO Box 161
Queen Creek
Arizona
85142-0161
USA
Telephone: 480.987.9008
Fax: 480.987.0148
http://www.magmaengineering.com
Information: M - F 8am to 5pm AZ Time
870TC

Postby walstien on Sun May 04, 2014 9:13 pm

I've run thousands of rounds of smallball through 1911s at 1.10 with 3.6 titegroup. I ran into a similar problem with my KKM Glock barrels, and had to take it down to 1.07 to get them to run.

Slow and work your way up is the right way to go.

I did start at 3.0 grains of titegroup and got up to 3.5 without noticeable problems. I didn't go to 3.6 simply because the load felt similar to the 3.6 at 1.10. I never chrono'd either loads - they're just for fun.

For Jacketed loads I've used 1.10 124 gr with 4.0 titegroup for years. Makes major, reliable, accurate... everything a growing boy needs.
When I see five weirdos dressed in togas stabbing a guy in the middle of the park in full view of 100 people, I shoot the bastards. That's my policy.

- Sergeant Frank Drebin, Detective Lieutenant - Police Squad
walstien

Postby Rodentman on Mon May 05, 2014 5:45 pm

OK thanks for the advice. Makes sense and pretty much confirms what I suspected regarding the load and length!
Rodentman

Postby Rodentman on Sat May 17, 2014 7:03 am

Found a pretty good discussion of the issue here, hope the link is allowed:

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=751183
Rodentman

Postby noylj on Thu May 22, 2014 11:59 pm

It is ALWAYS "start low and work up." In my world, it is "check at least two sources and start with the lowest starting load."
This goes for any change in bullet. Even a new lot of powder has "bitten" me before. Don't guess or assume--for you and those around you.
noylj

Return to Ammunition & Reloading