brass tumbling

A place to discuss calibers, ammunition, and reloading

brass tumbling

Postby fred666 on Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:25 am

can you tumble brass that has been newly primed?
fred666

Re: brass tumbling

Postby Eric Marleau on Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:55 pm

I wouldn't.

Eric
NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
DNR Certified Firearms Safety Instructor
NRA Life Member
Eric Marleau

Postby LarryFlew on Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:52 pm

better after loaded than just primed in case your polish and/or media mess up the primer.
If you're having second thoughts you're two ahead of most Democrats
LarryFlew

Location: Hamburg, MN - CZ fan - Class of 66 - USAF 66-70 - NRA life since 1970

Postby Seismic Sam on Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:12 pm

I also would NOT, for the above reasons, and that fact that if you tumble unprimed brass, on a few percent of the cases there is a piece of media jammed into the hole that requires a dental pick to remove. If you obstruct the flash hole really good with a piece of media with a primed case, there's no telling what will happen. Probably nothing, but maybe a squib load that runs the bullet two inches up the bore, cycles the gun, and sets you up for a KABOOM on the next shot.

And if that isn't enough, IF you check all your brass after tumbling and find some of these, you get to try and dig the media out of there right on top of a LIVE primer. There ain't no happy ending here at all...
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Postby 870TC on Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:29 am

I've done it before, with dry media -no polishing compound added. Would not hesitate to do it again. I did it because I bought some new primed brass that had gotten tarnished. Some granules of media did stick in the flash holes, it shoots out fine no problems. That being said, there was a big post about this over on cast boolits a few years ago, some of the guys over there tested the "plugged" flash hole brass for accuracy, they found (rifle) groups opened slightly. Not enough to bother with hunting accuracy but would make a difference for scored targets.
870TC

Return to Ammunition & Reloading