New to reloading, Question

A place to discuss calibers, ammunition, and reloading

Re: New to reloading, Question

Postby Eric Marleau on Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:12 pm

WAY too much going on here.
You're grasping for answers without knowing steps to get to the answers.
For what it's worth, I'd buy some easily found factory loads and wait on the reloading until you can be taught by Oldman.

Eric
NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
DNR Certified Firearms Safety Instructor
NRA Life Member
Eric Marleau

Postby Sigfan220 on Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:05 am

Ironbear wrote:
Sigfan220 wrote:2: See above - probably need to remove the crimp. Check all bras for crimps if it is 223/5.56, 7.62/308, 50BMG, 9mm etc. If it is loaded for military applications it likely has a crimp.

Any safety tips for this? ;)

I have no idea what you are asking. You just need to check the brass for crimped primers. That sounds pretty safe to me.
Sigfan220

Postby forcefed on Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:26 am

Sigfan220 wrote:
Ironbear wrote:
Sigfan220 wrote:2: See above - probably need to remove the crimp. Check all bras for crimps if it is 223/5.56, 7.62/308, 50BMG, 9mm etc. If it is loaded for military applications it likely has a crimp.

Any safety tips for this? ;)

I have no idea what you are asking. You just need to check the brass for crimped primers. That sounds pretty safe to me.

See the underlined, bold word....
forcefed

Postby Ghost on Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:03 am

Eric Marleau wrote:WAY too much going on here.
You're grasping for answers without knowing steps to get to the answers.
For what it's worth, I'd buy some easily found factory loads and wait on the reloading until you can be taught by Oldman.
Eric

This is the best idea. However, if you can't wait the internet is your friend. Hornady as many others have walkthrough videos and with a grain of salt youtube can be helpful. If you watch everything you can you will start to recognize the differences in what people show you and then hopefully understand what you need to do to make safe accurate ammo.

There are many video's on the crimp, you aren't the first that's been tripped up by it.
Ghost

Postby Bearcatrp on Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:41 am

I've watched a **** load of videos, read many different reloading methods and have helped reload while watching and assisting. Reason why I stopped and posted the questions is I came across something not covered by the nosler book and from what I have learned so far. Until I feel comfortable again, reloading is on hold. My order arrives next week. Will use the tool to check all my brass primer pockets I have cleaned before begin again.
Bearcatrp

Postby Ghost on Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:46 am

Bearcatrp wrote:I've watched a **** load of videos, read many different reloading methods and have helped reload while watching and assisting. Reason why I stopped and posted the questions is I came across something not covered by the nosler book and from what I have learned so far. Until I feel comfortable again, reloading is on hold. My order arrives next week. Will use the tool to check all my brass primer pockets I have cleaned before begin again.

Once you use that tool, priming will be a piece of cake. I run mine on a case prep trio, makes it very easy.
Ghost

Postby Bearcatrp on Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:24 pm

Ghost wrote: I run mine on a case prep trio, makes it very easy.

One of my future upgrades.
Bearcatrp

Postby Bearcatrp on Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:33 pm

Ghost wrote:Once you use that tool, priming will be a piece of cake. .

Received the tool today. Works like a charm. Primed a few more shells. Plan on loading 10 rounds to see how I do. Thanks again for getting me straight.
Bearcatrp

Postby Ghost on Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:28 pm

Bearcatrp wrote:
Ghost wrote:Once you use that tool, priming will be a piece of cake. .

Received the tool today. Works like a charm. Primed a few more shells. Plan on loading 10 rounds to see how I do. Thanks again for getting me straight.

Good news and good luck.
Ghost

Postby rottenit on Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:21 pm

Seismic Sam wrote:Go see Oldman and let him take you under his wing and teach you stuff that you will miss in books or never know. He is a unique resource and you will wind up much better off than if you just read manuals.

+1
m going to make some founding fathers quote up so it furthers a cause I believe in...

"Barak Obama is the beginning of the end of our country." - George Washington & Thomas Jefferson
rottenit

Postby Bearcatrp on Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:54 pm

Will be seeing in the not to distant future, hopefully. Next question:
Just loaded my 1st five rounds. Nosler 150 gr ballistic green tip with 44 gr powder. Measurement is what the book calls for, 2.810 total overall length. Decided to verify against some hornady A max just for the hell of it. Same. But the noslers seem mighty tight in a magazine but pretty much the same as the A max. Magazine is a magpull I use with all my ammo. Anyways, is it cool to adjust over all length a smidge to avoid possible magazine jamming? Am thinking it should be ok as I have some fusion I purchased awhile back and they measure 2.805 total overall length, but wanted to hear from you pro's out there on this. Will hopefully test these tomorrow or early next week to see how they fire. Appreciate the feed back guys.
Bearcatrp

Postby andrewP on Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:49 am

I'll let someone with more experience and expertise give you the long answer, but the short answer to your question regarding adjusting overall length is "it depends." If you're at or near a max load, it could be dangerous. If you're at the low end, it *probably* won't be a problem as long as it's a small adjustment. That said, even at the low end, I wouldn't intentionally reduce overall length below what the book says unless you're finding that you actually have problems with magazine function or the bullet is engaging the rifling when the round is chambered. After all, reduced OAL = increased pressure.
andrewP

Postby JJ on Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:59 am

Bearcatrp wrote:Will be seeing in the not to distant future, hopefully. Next question:
Just loaded my 1st five rounds. Nosler 150 gr ballistic green tip with 44 gr powder. Measurement is what the book calls for, 2.810 total overall length. Decided to verify against some hornady A max just for the hell of it. Same. But the noslers seem mighty tight in a magazine but pretty much the same as the A max. Magazine is a magpull I use with all my ammo. Anyways, is it cool to adjust over all length a smidge to avoid possible magazine jamming? Am thinking it should be ok as I have some fusion I purchased awhile back and they measure 2.805 total overall length, but wanted to hear from you pro's out there on this. Will hopefully test these tomorrow or early next week to see how they fire. Appreciate the feed back guys.

From reading your questions, i am seriously concerned that you do not have a firm grasp on the process. Your questions are all answered in any number of more in depth reloading manuals. The ABC's of Reloading, any Lyman manual, or the Sierra would be my recommendations. A mentor to help guide you should also help.

You simply cannot assume that two bullets from the same or different manufacturers will have the same OAL measurements. Depending on bullet weight, shape, construction (plastic tip, spire pt, HP, etc), the OAL will need to vary. the more critical measurement is ogive to base. This should all be covered very thoroughly in any of the manual I've listed above.

To answer your question, yes you can generally adjust OAL to suit your application. For example, in a cartridge feeding from a magazine, you may have to shorten the OAL to accommodate feeding. Or if the magazine is of no concern (single shot rifle, or single feed), you may seat longer to chase the lands. Changes from published data should be done as a part of an overall load workup. When i change OAL, t is usually well after finding the charge range i have identified as suitable for my needs based on accuracy, velocity and signs of pressure.

You are quite obviously in the VERY remedial stages of the reloading process. Start by doing a very basic load workup, starting at minimum charge weight and published OAL, and working up at .2-.3g intervals. Verify what charges are safe in that most basic configuration before adding variables to your process, by doing three or five shot strings at each charge weight and evaluating accuracy, function, velocity and pressure.

Where are you located? there is likely someone close to you, that would be willing to sacrifice an hour or two, to come to you and help assist the process. Oldman is certainly a valuable resource, but considering his location, and combined schedules, you can likely find someone much closer to help you get started.
"a man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box." Frederick Douglass
JJ

Postby Bearcatrp on Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:13 pm

Appreciate the reply. Currently have the nosler reloading book, 7th edition. When I asked about OAlL, was looking for folks opinions. The book does talk about changes due to different magazines. Like any book, pretty straight forward. I like to hear from folks who have done this for years for better insight. You give a good reply. Am already talking to some folks too. As with anything new, better to ask a question, whether for clarification or just curiosity, than make a mistake. No room for error reloading. Thanks again for the reply.
Bearcatrp

Postby Bearcatrp on Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:07 pm

Finally got out to the range to shoot my 1st reloaded rounds. That 1st round sure gives you a moment of pause before squeezing the trigger. Turned out to be a good day at the range. Thanks to all who helped me out. Time to load some more.
Bearcatrp

PreviousNext

Return to Ammunition & Reloading