.22 LR

A place to discuss calibers, ammunition, and reloading

Re: .22 LR

Postby yuppiejr on Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:14 am

If you're looking for a training alternative, or a way to conserve your scarce stash of .22 LR ammo, airgun pellets run $6-10 per 500, a decent break action (1000 FPS) rifle can be had for $70-$100. There are also a variety of airsoft (battery, CO2 or green gas powered) products that are licensed copies with the same heft/controls as their full size rifle and pistol equivalents that can make very effective practice or training tools at shorter ranges (and can be used in your backyard or basement, not just the range).
yuppiejr

Postby grimbeaver on Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:40 am

yuppiejr wrote:If you're looking for a training alternative, or a way to conserve your scarce stash of .22 LR ammo, airgun pellets run $6-10 per 500, a decent break action (1000 FPS) rifle can be had for $70-$100. There are also a variety of airsoft (battery, CO2 or green gas powered) products that are licensed copies with the same heft/controls as their full size rifle and pistol equivalents that can make very effective practice or training tools at shorter ranges (and can be used in your backyard or basement, not just the range).

I've seen in the rules at several ranges that they prohibit air guns. I'm guessing due to the risk of people shooting them off while pumping them. And turns out the city prohibits them too, which I found out after I bought one :evil:. Though next year I may build a collapsible backstop to shoot it at anyways.

During the peak of the panic I got Mini-mags at FleetFarm for $5.69 per 100 ct box. Otherwise I think Gander has advertised them a few times for 8-9 cents a round, but that's Gander after all. "Normal" price I would say is less than 8 cents a round. Actually I seem to remember the 22mag that they sell in a box like that just has the plastic boxes inside, might not be 'bulk' packaging.
grimbeaver

Postby Jack's My dog on Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:03 pm

grimbeaver wrote:I've seen in the rules at several ranges that they prohibit air guns. I'm guessing due to the risk of people shooting them off while pumping them. And turns out the city prohibits them too, which I found out after I bought one :evil:. Though next year I may build a collapsible backstop to shoot it at anyways.

I just use a large card board box stuffed full with more cardboard as a backstop in my basement. Works pretty decent for my uses, but it definitely is not pretty.
Jack's My dog

Postby ranger on Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:35 pm

Mini-Mag solids at Midway, $6.99/100, limit 10 per customer.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/561225 ... round-nose
NRA Life Member
US Army Retired
ranger

Postby grimbeaver on Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:53 am

And it's gone.

Cardboard backstop seems like it would take a lot of cardboard. I actually have a 2ft x 2ft x 1ft box made out of 2x4 with a plywood back that I light fireworks from on the 4th (in years past had a few things fall over and shoot at us). I was thinking maybe an angled sheet of metal inside to deflect the round with a couple layers of cardboard on the front might do the trick. Just gotta get around to messing with it. In the basement though... not a bad idea, have a feeling the wife would disagree.
grimbeaver

Postby jtk5768 on Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:43 pm

I use a 6" x 6" cardboard box filled with cat litter and wrapped in gorilla tape to catch rounds from my pellet gun... never had issue with it except when missed and almost punched a hole through my garage door. For .22lr I've seen guys shooting into a bucket/barrel filled with recycled rubber mulch you buy at local home improvement center... good way to recycle lead for those who cast their own too...
jtk5768

Postby xd ED on Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:51 pm

A tub of plumber's putty makes a nice pellet trap:

LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:18 pm

I used Duct Seal in mine.
I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Postby yuppiejr on Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:05 pm

grimbeaver wrote:And it's gone.

Cardboard backstop seems like it would take a lot of cardboard. I actually have a 2ft x 2ft x 1ft box made out of 2x4 with a plywood back that I light fireworks from on the 4th (in years past had a few things fall over and shoot at us). I was thinking maybe an angled sheet of metal inside to deflect the round with a couple layers of cardboard on the front might do the trick. Just gotta get around to messing with it. In the basement though... not a bad idea, have a feeling the wife would disagree.

The backstop required depends on the weight and speed of the projectiles, airsoft is usually a .2 gr plastic pellet going 250-400 fps and you want to build a trap that deflects the projectiles into a catch "basin" at the bottom of an enclosed box since they tend to ricochet rather than penetrate cardboard. I am able to trap a 5 grain copper washed steel BB from a Daisy Buck lever action rifle (300ish FPS) @ 7 meters in a trap made of progressively smaller cardboard boxes stuffed with shredded newspaper and taped shut... Trying to contain a 7.5-10 grain pellet moving 1000 FPS probably needs to be significantly more substantial since it will easily penetrate 3/4 plywood at 20 meters (note the previous suggestion about plumbers putty, duct seal, etc..).
yuppiejr

Postby ranger on Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:42 am

CCI .22LR Standard Velocity, $3.99/50, at Glen's Army Navy. Limit of 20 per day.

http://www.glensoutdoors.com/cci-standa ... ounds.html
NRA Life Member
US Army Retired
ranger

Postby 20mm on Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:24 pm

Rip Van Winkle wrote:I used Duct Seal in mine.

A stray cat is cheaper.

/sarcasm
"Go 20mm" - Sigfan220
""Real men shoot 20mm." - FJ540
"If I could be reincarnated as a fabric, I would come back as a 38 double-D bra." - Jesse Ventura
20mm

Postby Grayskies on Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:25 pm

Nooo, not a poor cute kitty!!!!!!!
NRA Life Member & Certified Range Safety Officer
Honorably Discharged U.S. Army Veteran
General Class Amateur Radio Operator and ARRL VE and SkyWarn
Amateur Radio Emergency Service® (ARES)

P2C since August 2003
Grayskies

Postby ranger on Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:40 pm

Federal AutoMatch up at Cabela's right now.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shooting ... T.tsrc=AFF
NRA Life Member
US Army Retired
ranger

Postby shooter115 on Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:03 am

ranger wrote:Federal AutoMatch up at Cabela's right now.

And gone.......dammit, I have a Cabelas gift certificate I need to use as well.
shooter115

Postby ranger on Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:01 am

shooter115 wrote:
ranger wrote:Federal AutoMatch up at Cabela's right now.

And gone.......dammit, I have a Cabelas gift certificate I need to use as well.

Sorry you missed out this time.....they were up for almost 15 hours. Cabela's still has Winchester Super X 100's and Remington Viper 100's still available. Free shipping to store also. ;)

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Winchest ... T.tsrc=AFF

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/product. ... T.tsrc=AFF
NRA Life Member
US Army Retired
ranger

PreviousNext

Return to Ammunition & Reloading