8mm ammo, WTB

A place to discuss calibers, ammunition, and reloading

8mm ammo, WTB

Postby bobbydamit on Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:39 am

looking for some 8mm ammo for a friend. Anyone have any they want to part with? let me know. It can be found in the internet for around 50 cents a round :o . Would like to get some for less if you care to part with it. ;) Thanks, Bobby
"The Devil Made Me Do It."
Geraldine
bobbydamit

Re: 8mm ammo, WTB

Postby Seismic Sam on Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:25 am

Are you referring to 8mm Mauser ammo, aka 7.92mm Mauser/8x57mmJ/8x57 JS???
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Postby crbutler on Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:06 pm

Be careful with most of the surplus stuff on the web. Assuming you mean the 8x57, aka 8mm mauser-

A lot of it is corrosive primed, and it's not the most consistent stuff.

Also, while the old ones are rare, there are really 2 different bore sizes in 8mm Mauser rifles. The old ones are .318 (the so called I or IS) rifles such as the old mauser 1888 commission rifles, and the more recent (WWI vintage on) JS which are .323 bore.

If your buddy doesn't know which it is, have a gunsmith check it. The modern ammo in an old gun will have issues....

Also, while not an issue for some, the mil Surp stuff is notreloadable with the usual equipment.

The safest way to deal with it is to use US made current factory ammo which is a bit under loaded by European standards. I brought a bunch a few years back of Turkish surplus, and it has the occasional dud, and one time I had a hang fire, which really bugged me. The stuff is not the safest, especially if you're someone who instantly has to open the bolt to "refire" a dud... Ahlmans had some a month ago, and probably still does. I am not real sure who has some currently, but most big guns stores will.
crbutler

Postby 20mm on Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:34 pm

Seismic Sam wrote:Are you referring to 8mm Mauser ammo, aka 7.92mm Mauser/8x57mmJ/8x57 JS???

Probably 8mm Roth-Steyr.
"Go 20mm" - Sigfan220
""Real men shoot 20mm." - FJ540
"If I could be reincarnated as a fabric, I would come back as a 38 double-D bra." - Jesse Ventura
20mm

Return to Ammunition & Reloading