Gone Missing: .223 neck tension

A place to discuss calibers, ammunition, and reloading

Re: Gone Missing: .223 neck tension

Postby Seismic Sam on Sun Feb 08, 2015 6:14 pm

DELETED BY POPULAR REQUEST!!!!
Last edited by Seismic Sam on Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Postby bpacman on Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:53 pm

Deleted In Kind

Bp
Last edited by bpacman on Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Good Judgement comes from Experience....Unfortunately a lot of that comes from Bad Judgement.
bpacman

Postby MaryB on Sun Feb 08, 2015 8:16 pm

And the reason I do not post much here anymore... I got the RTFM when I had said the manual for that particular bullet was on order and I did not trust the online data so could someone confirm it. Rudeness instead of teaching.
MaryB

Postby plink on Sun Feb 08, 2015 8:16 pm

Seismic Sam wrote:Sorry, but I'm not apologizing. Problem #1: Not setting the die correctly. That is NOT in the manual, it's in the die set instructions. Not knowing enough to screw the size die down to make contact with the shell holder at top dead center means he didn't read the die directions, PERIOD. That's a blatant rookie mistake by somebody who didn't RTFD.

The issue with the mixed headstamp brass is a side issue, and has nothing to do with the first problem. If he doesn't know how to set up his dies properly, then using mixed brass is just another blind alley which he needs to be told will get him maximum variability loads. I added that just because he obviously had no clue about that either.

I set the die at touch level at first, when that seemed like it wasn't right, it was backed out. And being that I was noticing a slight amount of play when the bullet was seated, I'd like to think I'd notice if the bullet had disappeared into the case.

For the mixed brass, yes, I'm aware of the difference of inner dimensions between brands and even batches. Smaller combustion chamber = bigger boom. I'm going for a very base level charge here, the most cautious loading I can find for the powder and bullet combination.

Thanks for the concern.
plink

Postby MaryB on Sun Feb 08, 2015 8:22 pm

I sort my 223 brass by brand before reloading. LC I sort by year if I have enough.
MaryB

Gone Missing: .223 neck tension

Postby Jreinan01 on Sun Feb 08, 2015 8:52 pm

MaryB wrote:And the reason I do not post much here anymore... I got the RTFM when I had said the manual for that particular bullet was on order and I did not trust the online data so could someone confirm it. Rudeness instead of teaching.

Sam maybe a valuable resource but how would anyone know? I turn off instantly because of the rudeness...I don't have time for people like that in my life.
Jreinan01

Postby Seismic Sam on Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:13 pm

MaryB wrote:And the reason I do not post much here anymore... I got the RTFM when I had said the manual for that particular bullet was on order and I did not trust the online data so could someone confirm it. Rudeness instead of teaching.

Well, since the internet began, I was perfectly happy to offer advice on reloading to people, because they were probably already into it and if I had something to suggest I did. However, as things went by, and particularly in the last 10 years, there have been more and more lazy people wanting to get into reloading, most of which turn out to be too cheap to buy a good manual and/or too lazy to read it, and pretty much all of whom had very little idea of the immense pressures that loaded ammo generates and what can happen if you screw up. In general, I discovered that trying to teach these people was about as effective as pissing into a strong wind, so I quit the free reloading advice business for a lot of people. No matter how kind hearted you may be, the milk of human kindness curdles and goes sour when every bum and lazy person shows up because they hear somebody is giving out free milk. Even Oldman has standards like RTFM FIRST!!! or forget it, and he won't put up with the real idiots any more than I will. Last real "winner" we had in here was some "hotshot" who had to brag about all he knew about guns and the gunsmiths he knew and yadda yadda yadda for 3 paragraphs before he got down to the fact that he wanted to learn about reloading. Then it turns out he wants to learn how to load 10mm to the ABSOLUTE MAX, and wouldn't show his gun to Oldman so he could inspect it, and bitched and whined for a while after both Oldman and I told to go pound sand.

If any of you want to help a person like that, please step forward and offer up YOUR milk of human kindness for these needy people.
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Postby mmcnx2 on Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:26 pm

Seismic Sam wrote:..... unless you got the scars and the street cred to prove it.

Gee Sam I've 'only' been reloading for about 35 years, shotgun, rifle and pistol - probably 100,000+ rounds in more calibers/gauges than I can recall. I don't have a single scar related to reloading does that make me unqualified?

And yes I still at times have questions when I consider a new round. Not everything is in the manuals, nor the internet for that matter. I read about roll crimps till I was blue in the face 20 years ago but as soon as someone showed me one done right vs wrong it all made sense.

Chill out, if you don't want to help don't, that's cool - but can you please put down your bible and get off the pulpit.
mmcnx2

Postby Seismic Sam on Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:16 am

Done! Off the pulpit!

As far as the die being set correctly to begin with and the force seeming too large to resize, could be not enough lube, OR it could be you got some used brass that saw some pretty high pressures, or fired full auto from a police weapon where the bolt was unlocking too quickly, or a worn out abused gun with a large chamber. Every once in a while I will get some pickup 223, and if the case goes in too hard, it goes in the scrap brass bucket. If you do strain and haul on the ram to size it and you get a bright ring down by the base, its scrap!!!
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Postby JJ on Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:44 am

Seismic Sam wrote:Done! Off the pulpit!

As far as the die being set correctly to begin with and the force seeming too large to resize, could be not enough lube, OR it could be you got some used brass that saw some pretty high pressures, or fired full auto from a police weapon where the bolt was unlocking too quickly, or a worn out abused gun with a large chamber. Every once in a while I will get some pickup 223, and if the case goes in too hard, it goes in the scrap brass bucket. If you do strain and haul on the ram to size it and you get a bright ring down by the base, its scrap!!!

So you are saying that brass fired in a fluted HK chamber should be scrapped?

If you use a little imperial wax and some good old beat-off muscles, you get some really cool looking brass though :?
"a man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box." Frederick Douglass
JJ

Postby Seismic Sam on Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:51 pm

JJ wrote:
Seismic Sam wrote:Done! Off the pulpit!

So you are saying that brass fired in a fluted HK chamber should be scrapped?

If you use a little imperial wax and some good old beat-off muscles, you get some really cool looking brass though :?

Only a Brit tanker from Monty's regiment at El Alamein would say that, and if he did he'd be shanking a goat or a camel at the time!!
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Previous

Return to Ammunition & Reloading