How to: find/buy .22 LR ammo locally when inventory permits

A place to discuss calibers, ammunition, and reloading

Postby yuppiejr on Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:15 am

I got curious this week and did a bit of research + legwork to figure out how the seemingly endlessly stocked resellers were gaming the system and decided to share the inside scoop on the two best local sources so some of ours have a better shot at picking up .22 LR before spring when people want to get out and warm up their rifles and pistols:

Cabelas:

Cabelas tends to show online stock of their .22 LR ammo early in the morning, between 3 and 6 AM typically... most of the ammo engines do pick it up but you have to move fast as a result. You can order only one box/brick/pack of each type of ammo, but NOT more than one per day of any one type or your order will get cancelled automatically. If you have them shipped to a store (free) you have two weeks from the time they arrive to pick up all of your order(s) which will simply accumulate until you pick them up in a single trip through the customer service line. I've tested and verified the process and it works perfectly without violating daily purchase limits, and is much more gas/time efficient than running to the store to keep checking or only being able to buy a single brick/box/sleeve/bulk pack per trip. Win-win.

These sites tend to catch Cabelas when they restock almost immediately:

http://www.gunbot.net/ammo/rimfire/22lr/

http://www.wikiarms.com/

In particular keep an eye on the Federal Automatch and Remington Thunderbolts - http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shooting ... 753211.uts and http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shooting ... 734676.uts

Wal-Mart

The local Wal-mart stores seem tied to at least 3 different DC's, one of which has been putting a lot of Federal AutoMatch out there (10-20 bulk packs per store at least twice last week). The others seem to be pushing smaller 100 packs of Mini-Mags, 225 packs of Remington Golden Bullets and 50 round boxes of Federal Lightning lately, you'll see the trends when you use the search engine...

This engine makes it easy to find when ammo is being stocked overnight:

http://www.wikiarms.com/walmart-search

The trick is to check after midnight to see which stores got a shipment after they were closed (24 hour stores are tricky), and arrive a little before 7 which is when most stores will have a sporting goods key carrier on site and restock their ammo from the overnight delivery. Some stores open at 6 but they don't roll out ammo until 7 AM when the sporting goods key carrier arrives. I was able to buy 3 bulk packs of ammo on two consecutive days at two different stores on my way in to work, no lines and no waiting. I also swung through a few additional stores showing inventory and verified the online data was matching up with actual delivery of product.

I do believe that both Brooklyn Park and Brooklyn Center have something "strange" going on with their internal store inventory management (insiders buying-reselling or setting it aside for friends and family before it hits the shelf)... While remaining civil and polite, I showed the department managers on my phone that their store showed ammo in stock as of midnight yet nobody was able to find it they got real snotty/evasive with me, and one claimed he hadn't seen ammo "in months" even though I'd watched it go in and out of stock per their store website inventory more than once the same week. The same inventory tracker had been completely accurate at all the other stores I checked out. The the process for checking them in to inventory from the truck before they get moved to the display case and then trickle out of stock until they hit zero as they get sold should be identical between stores, so unless there's a black hole between the back room and the shelves in the Brooklyn Park/Center stores something else is happening to the .22 LR ammo in those locations. I documented my observations and sent a letter on to corporate, perhaps they will have the store managers in question look a little more closely at their sporting goods inventory/stocking practices.

All of the Sporting Goods managers I talked to described the same basic group that rolls through their stores regularly and cleans out most of the inventory in one or two trips, but they usually get there a bit later and I didn't see hide or hair of anyone else buying ammo on my research trips. Early bird gets the worm boys and girls... just know when to be there and you should be able to set up for spring as long as inventory is in the channel.

Good luck out there. :)
Last edited by yuppiejr on Sat Feb 14, 2015 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
yuppiejr

Re: How to: find/buy .22 LR ammo locally when inventory permits

Postby JJ on Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:43 am

That's awesome work man.

I don't have the patience to screw around and make 20 stops to find some ammo. I can reload 223, for around $0.12/round, i'll offset that cost and avoid the hassle.
"a man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box." Frederick Douglass
JJ

Postby gun_fan111 on Sat Feb 14, 2015 11:52 am

Big thumbs up!!!
Did you just buy that beautiful firearm, or are you trying to sell that piece of crap?
gun_fan111

Postby Bearcatrp on Sat Feb 14, 2015 3:58 pm

Instead of notifying corporate, contact local news in hopes these vultures air the story. Congrats on a well done job. To bad someone doesn't video this group going around sucking up the ammo. Or catch the lowlife stock guy coming out the back with his hands full.
Bearcatrp

Postby yuppiejr on Sat Feb 14, 2015 4:43 pm

Local news doesn't care, it's not a particularly interesting story outside of a pretty specific audience. However it's pretty easy for Wal Mart security to take a closer look at how product moves within certain stores and spot an anomaly, correlate with some AP camera footage... problem will likely be solved pretty quick. Just looking for a level playing field, to the victor go the spoils. :)
yuppiejr

Postby ranger on Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:36 pm

Regarding Cabela’s, I’ve found that If you load up you’re Cabela’s “Wish List” with various assortments of .22LR, they show “in stock” much sooner there, than their regular ammunition page…….. or the Gunbot/ Slickguns websites?

The key is to add the items you want more than once to your wish list, so when you add an item to the cart, you’ll still have some left over for subsequent ordering. Also noted is that an item cannot be added to the wish list unless it’s currently available and in stock.
NRA Life Member
US Army Retired
ranger

Postby gargoyle999 on Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:46 am

yuppiejr wrote:I do believe that both Brooklyn Park and Brooklyn Center have something "strange" going on with their internal store inventory management (insiders buying-reselling or setting it aside for friends and family before it hits the shelf)...

I just picked up my first gun on Sunday so just started to look locally for .22lr a couple weeks ago. But the Lakeville store seems to show the Federal 325ct box in stock but it's not been there when I've checked. It's the only store showing it in stock as well.
gargoyle999

Postby yuppiejr on Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:04 am

The WikiArms site shows "limited stock" while the Wal Mart site shows it in-stock at the midnight refresh this morning. You might try stopping at customer service (not sporting goods) with a printout of the website page showing it in-stock and have them check inventory for item 000998411. If it's in stock and the store manager catches wind something is amiss they might help the sporting goods team locate the "lost" item or at least generate some added scrutiny as to their inventory disparity. No STL is going to want to deal with their regional/corporate superiors if an item with legal compliance/age purchase restrictions like ammunition is not being handled properly in their store. If nothing else they should be able to correct their count so the online inventory is useful the next time they get ammo in stock and will likely keep a closer eye on things going forward...
yuppiejr

Postby gargoyle999 on Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:29 am

I'm going to keep an eye on it, see if it changes at all vs other stores. When I head over there next time I'll ask what hours someone is usually there with the key. I can show up one or two days a week around 7am or whenever someone gets there. If it's showing in stock online after midnight but not available right when the key carrier gets there I'll start asking questions.

Thanks for all that information, it's very helpful!
gargoyle999

Postby yuppiejr on Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:40 am

Good luck, 24 hour stores can be tricky, unless they are purposefully staggering when ammo gets stocked I believe a lot of stuff gets pushed to the floor around 6 AM which may include ammo that sometimes gets stored in the SG desk rather than the actual display case.
yuppiejr

Postby karlobag on Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:01 am

I have also used the following sites for Walmart Inventory.

http://www.ammo-can.net/stock/?st=MN&cal=22&prod=0

These guys will give you all sorts of sites, Walmart included.

http://www.gunwatcher.com/gun/73AD626E88F31B/22LR

As noted before, since most of the places only update their inventory once a day, it is difficult to know what truly is "in stock", without visiting the Walmart(s). I like the idea of bringing a print out to have custom service do a stock check, as it does seem like Brooklyn Park and Brooklyn Center have vanishing inventory.
NRA Life Member
NRA RSO

"There are three kinds of men: The ones that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves." -- Will Rogers
karlobag

Postby 870TC on Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:40 pm

Thanks for the links. Struck out 3 times at Bloomington and Lakeville walmarts, both showed instock .22's of some sort for the last 4 days....nothing in either store. Lakeville clerk said people come in the middle of the night to get it.
870TC

Postby atomic41 on Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:06 pm

Great tips and very cool of you to share! Thanks!
atomic41

Postby benny on Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:11 pm

I went to the Andover Walmart a while back and asked them if they had the 3 boxes of 100 cnt Winchester that ammo can said were there . The first day the associate said it was not in the back or on the shelf, the second day I got the sporting goods manager and asked her why it showed in stock but no one can find it. She went to the back room and looked for it, after about 15 minutes she came out with one box and said she couldn't sell the other two back there because they had been opened.

I asked what they do with it then, and her comment was that she had no idea!!

The store manager said he didn't know about them being opened and also didn't know what they were going to do with them. A week later I asked about the two remaining opened boxes, the guy at the counter said a store employee bought them because no one knew what to do about them.

Pretty funny how they got opened and no one knew what to do about them so they just sold them to an employee?? Must be a lot of that going on!!

Benny
benny

Postby tenmilmag on Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:20 pm

"I" was at the Andover WM, and found no .22 ammos on the shelf. Got to talking to an employee there in the SG dept. He informed me if I wanted I could purchase .22 ammo from "him" when his shift ended. But I would have to buy either $100 or $200 worth. He did not disclose the quantity I would receive. I promptly notified the manager the next day. No idea what ever became of it. **** WM!

yuppiejr, I commend you on your research!
tenmilmag

Return to Ammunition & Reloading