GM has reloading supplies?!

A place to discuss calibers, ammunition, and reloading

Re: GM has reloading supplies?!

Postby smurfman on Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:57 pm

Gander in Forest Lake is supposed to be getting reloading supplies soon. I recall when most of the stores had reloading supplies and was pretty glad when they got out of it. The clearance sales had some pretty good discounts, even taking into account the original high prices.

The Blaine store dropped their prices 60-70% during a time they were offering 10% off your purchase. My credit card gave me another 5% back on the purchase. I stopped in twice and filled most of a shopping cart each time. If I would have known then what I know now, I would have bought all their powder rather than just those I used then.
smurfman

Postby DanM on Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:38 pm

Scratch wrote:It's possible they have another cabinet in the back made of steel for more supplies. I thought they were supposed to be stored in a steel cabinet....? I'm pretty sure this one was wood. Maybe I'll ask next time I'm there.

NO! NO! NO! Never store smokeless powder in a metal cabinet. You end up with a bomb in case of a fire. :roll:

The Sporting Arms and Ammunition Manufacturers' Institute publishes the Smokeless Powder Properties and Storage document which outlines home and commercial storage guidelines for powder. There may also be local ordinances that apply. But they all agree that a sturdy wooden box or wooden cabinet with at least 1 inch thick walls are to be used. No metal.

Link to the document: http://www.saami.org/specifications_and_information/publications/download/SAAMI_ITEM_200-Smokeless_Powder.pdf
The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first.”
Thomas Jefferson
DanM

Postby Scratch on Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:56 pm

I guess Fleet Farm and Scheels never got that memo...
01 FFL in Hudson Wisconsin
Scratch

Postby Eric Marleau on Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:34 pm

Several years ago, I picked up one of the last six hole RCBS turret presses that GM in Forest Lake had.
It was on close out. At the time, my Son worked there, so I got the 30% employee discount on top of the close out price.
I think that I got it for around $30.00.
I believe that this unit is going for around $250.00.

I have it set up for my .44 magnum loads right now.

I wish one of my kids still worked there now.
My Wife has no idea how much money I saved her the years that our Son worked there. :booyah: :booyah:

Eric
NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
DNR Certified Firearms Safety Instructor
NRA Life Member
Eric Marleau

Postby Snakeman721 on Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:23 am

Eric Marleau wrote:Several years ago, I picked up one of the last six hole RCBS turret presses that GM in Forest Lake had.
It was on close out. At the time, my Son worked there, so I got the 30% employee discount on top of the close out price.
I think that I got it for around $30.00.
I believe that this unit is going for around $250.00.

I have it set up for my .44 magnum loads right now.

I wish one of my kids still worked there now.
My Wife has no idea how much money I saved her the years that our Son worked there. :booyah: :booyah:

Eric

30% employee discount? Wow, that explains a whole lot about Gander pricing and why it's so high. Most retail stores only give their employees a 10% or maybe 15% discount.
Get off my lawn!
Snakeman721

Postby andrewP on Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:36 am

Snakeman721 wrote:30% employee discount? Wow, that explains a whole lot about Gander pricing and why it's so high. Most retail stores only give their employees a 10% or maybe 15% discount.

Back when CompUSA was a thing, I worked there, and we got everything at cost. It made buying my first LCD TV a very good deal vs retail pricing. Retail was something like $1700 at the time, and IIRC when all was said and done, I paid about $1100. I also got some $100 headphones for about $60. Of course, if you wanted a cheap laptop, well, those often sold for all of $10 over cost, so there was no real savings to be had there. The discount (and a few of my coworkers) are really the only thing I miss about that job, though.
andrewP

Postby The Famous Grouse on Sun Mar 22, 2015 5:40 pm

Ironic they are getting back into reloading supplies. Woodbury Gander Mtn cleared them out about 5 years ago. I suspect this is an attempt to bolster their street cred with every store trying to be a "firearms supercenter" now. Or maybe it came down to the fact that carrying more of less didn't seem to be working against Cabelas, Fleet, etc who were ramping up, not cutting back.

Was just at the Woodbury store this PM. Not impressed. 8 pounds of powder total in the cabinet. Nothing I could use or wanted. Store seemed like a ghost town and the fishing section was not very well stocked considering we're just going into fishing season.

Grouse
The Famous Grouse

Postby Scratch on Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:29 pm

Yeah, I was just there tonight. They haven't added any powder since the day I started this thread.
01 FFL in Hudson Wisconsin
Scratch

Postby The Famous Grouse on Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:44 am

It's nice to have another option for reloading supplies as things are not that great in the metro, but I suppose Gander is struggling with the same thing everyone else is struggling with: Lack of supply.

I just don't understand why it's taking so long to get back on track with powder. Honestly, what was the normal situation as far as stock levels hasn't been seen consistently for 10 years now.

Grouse
The Famous Grouse

Postby Snakeman721 on Tue Mar 24, 2015 5:48 pm

i can't beleive that there are THAT many reloaders out there hoarding up all the powder so I'm guessing it's a government conspiracy to keep ammo (and reloading componets) out of the general public's hands. :stirthepot: ;)
Get off my lawn!
Snakeman721

Previous

Return to Ammunition & Reloading