9mm vs .45

A place to discuss calibers, ammunition, and reloading

Re: 9mm vs .45

Postby Chunkychuck on Sun Oct 11, 2015 3:58 pm

I'm glad people consider the .40 to be out. That means there should always be enough to finish out my lifetime.
Chunkychuck

Postby Ironbear on Sun Oct 11, 2015 4:31 pm

Seismic Sam wrote:Ah, the old 9mm vs 45 debate. It's OLDER than I am, it's as worn out as I am, and it accomplishes about as much as I do.

As far as the 40, you deserve what you get for downsizing a really potent cartridge like the 10mm. It was only created because the 10mm hurt the widdle wrists of some of the FBI agents when they made the 1076 their official sidearm.

So.....
I think you just want to argue 9X23 vs. 10 mm vs. .45 Super....
;-)
"Justice and power must be brought together, so that whatever is just may be powerful, and whatever is powerful may be just.” ~Blaise Pascal~
Ironbear

9mm vs .45

Postby jshuberg on Sun Oct 11, 2015 8:31 pm

I've got several .40 pistols that I have 9mm conversion barrels for. Depending on the gun, a conversion barrel and 9mm magazine is all you need, although some guns might require a different extractor as well.

This obviously gives the option of two calibers, but the conversion barrel is also thicker than either a standard 9mm or .40 barrel is. I like the additional weight, it makes the gun less sensitive to muzzle rise for a given recoil spring weight, and as the spring ages and loses some of its tension. Some people use a tungsten guide rod to add a little extra weight up front, but a thicker barrel also has the advantage of dissipating heat a little faster because of a larger surface area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by jshuberg on Sun Oct 11, 2015 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Personal Protection In The Home Instructor
NRA Life Member
MCPPA Certified Instructor
Gulf War Veteran
jshuberg

Postby 45Badger on Sun Oct 11, 2015 8:32 pm

Really, you guys still question the one true faith? 8-)
Live free, or die!
9mm = .45acp set on "stun"
Big Bullets At Moderate Speeds....Make Things Move
"You look like a tactical lumberjack"
Monschman is a thieving d-bag
.45 ACP - Because Shooting Twice Is Silly!
45Badger

Postby Rodentman on Mon Oct 12, 2015 5:42 am

I find that 9mm is tougher to reload due to the variance in barrels, at least among the 9's I own. Some are "loose" like the Glock, and others are tighter. I shouldn't have to have ammo specs for different barrels, and I won't do it. I guess I'll have to find the most restrictive barrel and load for that. This is also due to the wide difference in lead bullet shapes.

I don't have that issue with 45 and 40.

Of course there is always the highly extinct option that I haven't the foggiest idea how to reload 9mm, or reload in general.
Rodentman

Postby Seismic Sam on Mon Oct 12, 2015 5:48 am

Ironbear wrote:
Seismic Sam wrote:Ah, the old 9mm vs 45 debate. It's OLDER than I am, it's as worn out as I am, and it accomplishes about as much as I do.

As far as the 40, you deserve what you get for downsizing a really potent cartridge like the 10mm. It was only created because the 10mm hurt the widdle wrists of some of the FBI agents when they made the 1076 their official sidearm.

So.....
I think you just want to argue 9X23 vs. 10 mm vs. .45 Super....
;-)

You forgot my 9x25 SSX Wildcat which can push a 90 grain 9mm bullet to 2175 FPS for just short of 1,000 ft-lbs :( :o :shock: :?

Just kidding actually, as my carry gun is the infamous 50 GI, and while the ft-lbs scale is only in the high 600's, the Taylor knock-out factor is 17.4, which is the full equivalent to a 44 mag 240 grain hunting load...

As such, I fart in the general direction of the whole 9mm vs 45 debate, which really IS older than I am at age 66...
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Postby igofast on Mon Oct 12, 2015 1:08 pm

I'm curious how the debate will change with the proliferation of Suppressors.

At a recent suppressor shoot, I was astounded by the difference in noise caused by the sonic crack of the 9mm vs the subsonic 45. Now, of course, you can run 147 gr 9mm loaded down a bit(note that this caused some reliability issues with a host gun), but you can run any(even +P) 230gr .45 and be subsonic.

Just goes to show that not everyone's needs are the same - vive la différence
igofast

Postby Ghost on Mon Oct 12, 2015 1:10 pm

igofast wrote:I'm curious how the debate will change with the proliferation of Suppressors.

At a recent suppressor shoot, I was astounded by the difference in noise caused by the sonic crack of the 9mm vs the subsonic 45. Now, of course, you can run 147 gr 9mm loaded down a bit(note that this caused some reliability issues with a host gun), but you can run any(even +P) 230gr .45 and be subsonic.

Just goes to show that not everyone's needs are the same - vive la différence

I was thinking this but then again probably best that if you had to shoot somebody you'd do it without the can.
Ghost

Postby Ironbear on Mon Oct 12, 2015 3:13 pm

Ghost wrote:I was thinking this but then again probably best that if you had to shoot somebody you'd do it without the can.

I would think that home-defense would be one of the best applications for a can. Nice to have your hearing afterwards.
"Justice and power must be brought together, so that whatever is just may be powerful, and whatever is powerful may be just.” ~Blaise Pascal~
Ironbear

Postby Ghost on Mon Oct 12, 2015 3:39 pm

Ironbear wrote:
Ghost wrote:I was thinking this but then again probably best that if you had to shoot somebody you'd do it without the can.

I would think that home-defense would be one of the best applications for a can. Nice to have your hearing afterwards.

I agree but the world we live in doesn't exactly walk hand in hand with logic.
Ghost

9mm vs .45

Postby jshuberg on Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:14 pm

My next suppressor will be for my .45 nightstand gun. Subsonic, easier to suppress, doesn't over penetrate as much as a smaller faster bullet. It's just great in that application.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Personal Protection In The Home Instructor
NRA Life Member
MCPPA Certified Instructor
Gulf War Veteran
jshuberg

Postby andrewP on Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:17 pm

igofast wrote:Now, of course, you can run 147 gr 9mm loaded down a bit(note that this caused some reliability issues with a host gun), but you can run any(even +P) 230gr .45 and be subsonic.

How are you guys defining subsonic? The speed of sound is a little over 1100 FPS. I know it varies with altitude, so at what speed to you say a given ammunition is subsonic? My usual 124 grain reloads are about 1040 or so FPS, which I would expect to be considered subsonic, but seeing you say that you have to download 147s in order to get them to be subsonic makes me wonder where the accepted line is.
andrewP

Postby igofast on Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:09 am

andrewP wrote:
igofast wrote:Now, of course, you can run 147 gr 9mm loaded down a bit(note that this caused some reliability issues with a host gun), but you can run any(even +P) 230gr .45 and be subsonic.

How are you guys defining subsonic? The speed of sound is a little over 1100 FPS. I know it varies with altitude, so at what speed to you say a given ammunition is subsonic? My usual 124 grain reloads are about 1040 or so FPS, which I would expect to be considered subsonic, but seeing you say that you have to download 147s in order to get them to be subsonic makes me wonder where the accepted line is.

For me it's below 1000 fps. The speed doesn't vary with altitude as much as air density:

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/epz/?n=wxcalc_speedofsound

While even on a cold day, the speed of sound isn't below 1050 fps, if a bullet gets close to that threshold it experiences an effect called transonic - where the air moving around it goes supersonic. While not as loud as supersonic, it will be louder than something that is under this zone. There is also concerns of accuracy and bullet instability in the transonic region.
igofast

Postby andrewP on Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:23 pm

Thanks for the info, igofast. Sounds like it might be interesting to load up different charge weights and chrono with a suppressor to see where exactly the transition from quiet to loud happens.
andrewP

Postby igofast on Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:59 am

igofast

PreviousNext

Return to Ammunition & Reloading