I need cheap .223 bullets

A place to discuss calibers, ammunition, and reloading

I need cheap .223 bullets

Postby Scratch on Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:29 pm

I worked up an accurate load for my AR15's and am happy with it. It uses 60gr V-Max bullets and I can get under an inch at 100 yards with them in my more accurate AR's. I don't like to have a lot of recipes so I just make a bunch of these rounds and keep the on hand. Most of my long range precision rifle shooting is done with my .308, but I figure I should have plenty of these ready in case I need them for hunting, SHTF, precision shooting, whatever.

I also have a bunch of steel cased ammo for target practice and drills.

But last year I started shooting a little 3 gun and used those V-Max reloads, because I didn't want to have steel case related malfunctions while on the clock, in front of a bunch of people. My reloads shot great were way more accurate than I needed them to be, but were expensive, and I went through a bunch of them pretty fast.

I'd like to load up a bunch of cheaper stuff for this upcoming summer to shoot. Something FMJ, cheap, and as accurate as I need to be for 3 gun at max distances of maybe 70 yards. I have lots of brass, primers, and Varget, but want to go with a cheaper projectile.

Any suggestions on a cheaper bullet? I can get the V-Max's for about 17.00 per 100. I saw Berrys has some 55gr for about 9.90 per 100. Any other suggestions or input?
01 FFL in Hudson Wisconsin
Scratch

Re: I need cheap .223 bullets

Postby JJ on Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:52 pm

"a man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box." Frederick Douglass
JJ

Postby crbutler on Mon Jan 04, 2016 2:16 pm

I think you are overthinking it.

$8/100 is not that much money difference. You probably will spend more working up the load. Not to mention match entry fees, gas money, etc...

When I shot a lot of 3 gun, I tried having an accuracy load and a cheap hosing load, and it only caused grief by having the inaccurate load in the gun when I needed to hit a 300 yard steel lollipopper.
crbutler

Postby usnret on Mon Jan 04, 2016 2:34 pm

This should be cheap enough. Plus about $35.00 shipping, it's still under $.06 per bullet.
http://ammunitionstore.com/products/223 ... -case.html
"The two most important rules in a gunfight are: Always cheat and
Always win."
GLOCK Certified Armorer
usnret

Postby shooter115 on Mon Jan 04, 2016 3:52 pm

For reasons unknown to me Hornady seems to be the only company that can build accurate 55gr FMJ's. You can usually find them for $80 per K.
shooter115

Postby Scratch on Mon Jan 04, 2016 3:58 pm

crbutler wrote:I think you are overthinking it.

$8/100 is not that much money difference. You probably will spend more working up the load. Not to mention match entry fees, gas money, etc...

When I shot a lot of 3 gun, I tried having an accuracy load and a cheap hosing load, and it only caused grief by having the inaccurate load in the gun when I needed to hit a 300 yard steel lollipopper.

For me, there are no stages over 50 yards. I don't do the "real" 3 gun matches... Just the weekly night league. I hope there will be some stages that are longer range, but there hasn't been any yet. If there is, I'll bring a couple boxes of the good stuff just in case. If I need them... Those Wolf bullets that Usnret posted are just what I was looking for. Who knows... They might get a decent grouping too! Just ordered a box of 4k.
This way, I can save my good stuff for when I need them.
Scratch

Postby TTS on Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:27 pm

Owner
Tactical Training Solutions
Specializing in Self Defense and Firearms Training
http://www.minnesotaccw.com
TTS

Postby Scratch on Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:56 am

Wolf bullets came in today, will do a review once it gets a little warmer out.
Scratch

Return to Ammunition & Reloading