reloading bench lights?

A place to discuss calibers, ammunition, and reloading

reloading bench lights?

Postby bigscoop on Mon Mar 07, 2016 5:02 pm

Hi, I'm in the process of building my reloading room/ den.I need some advise on what kind of overhead lights to install over my bench.I'm still in the rough in stage so I pretty much have a clean slate to work with . I think I want/need the bench to be lit up like the sun without causing eye strain ,so I'm thinking of having a dimmer switch. So what kind/style of lights , would everyone go with if you were starting over? And any other ideas that you wish you would have done .Thanks
bigscoop

Re: reloading bench lights?

Postby samginko on Mon Mar 07, 2016 5:20 pm

Avoid florescent lighting close to your electronic scales.
samginko

Postby Ghost on Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:36 pm

Ghost

Postby noylj on Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:52 pm

Enough to avoid shadows.
Fluorescent lights never bothered my electronic scales in over 30 years, but I suppose they can--particularly a bad ballast. If so, you don't want the government-mandated curly-cue compact fluorescent lights either.
Any one have LEDs for room lighting?
Each of my presses has a $10 gooseneck halogen light from IKEA, so I can adjust and inspect the charge in each case, but I really would like more light in my room--never seem to have too much lighting in a work area.
noylj

Postby speedy396 on Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:32 am

I picked up a cheapie $25 LED plug-in shop light at Sam's. Haven't tried it for reloading, but it was way brighter than my old fluorescent. It does seem a bit harsh, though. Price is right and I think Costco has a similar product.
speedy396

Postby bigscoop on Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:41 am

Wow I like that Haiku unit except the price tag.Looking at Home Depot they have an L E D unit that looks like a two foot florescent tube light, does anyone have these?It's hard to tell what an individual light is like with hundreds of others next to it.
bigscoop

Postby Ghost on Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:09 am

bigscoop wrote:Wow I like that Haiku unit except the price tag.Looking at Home Depot they have an L E D unit that looks like a two foot florescent tube light, does anyone have these?It's hard to tell what an individual light is like with hundreds of others next to it.

The Haiku is made by big ass fans/light. It's a stout sumbitch. 13,000 lumens is a lot of lumens
Ghost

Postby Holland&Holland on Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:18 am

Ok, that is cool and I want one.

That said, I can't think of a scenario where I would be driving over my bench lights. I think the wife may not be happy that the truck is in the house...
Holland&Holland

Postby Erud on Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:52 am

Holland&Holland wrote: I think the wife may not be happy that the truck is in the house...

That sounds more like her problem than yours... :bolt:
Erud

Postby Holland&Holland on Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:56 am

Erud wrote:
Holland&Holland wrote: I think the wife may not be happy that the truck is in the house...

That is what I said.
Holland&Holland

Postby SkyRock on Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:02 am

samginko wrote:Avoid florescent lighting close to your electronic scales.

I've got a florescent work-light (2 4' tubes) over my work bench. Good lighting for most things, but I still have an additional light for looking into cases while reloading.

FWIW, the florescent lights are nearly 30 years old (old technology?) but I've never had a problem with electronic scales (and I've checked them against a manual scale).

Good luck.
SkyRock

Postby xd ED on Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:17 am

Holland&Holland wrote:
Erud wrote:

That is what I said.

I suspect by the time a guy is living in close proximity to his truck, wife might not be an issue anymore...
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby mr.paul on Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:26 am

Go with led around 3000k color temp. Get more than you think. Also, check out inline precision for a light on your press. Having said that, I have four, 4-foot fluorescent fixtures over my bench area, along with an inline precision light in my Dillon 550. Works well. When the fluorescents die however, led's will replace them. Hard to have too much light or too many outlets in a shop. A built in firing range would be cool too!
mr.paul

Postby brad3579 on Tue Mar 08, 2016 4:37 pm

I am using LED's under the upper cabinets and an LED on the re loader. The picture with the under cabinet lights turned on does not really show how bright the room is as for some reason the camera dimmed the picture.
Attachments
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
brad3579

Postby SkyRock on Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:06 pm

Could you give more info on the "LEDs on the reloader?"

Tnx
SkyRock

Next