Lee Handpress Question

A place to discuss calibers, ammunition, and reloading

Lee Handpress Question

Postby Garret7857 on Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:11 pm

Hello everyone,
I was going to get into reloading and due to space constraints, I settled on getting a Lee Hand Press next pay day and I was wondering if RCBS Dies work in it. I saw some threads online say they do, but the salesman at Cabelas said they won't work so I'm looking for some more input.

Thanks!
Garret7857

Re: Lee Handpress Question

Postby Erud on Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:00 pm

I don't own one personally, but I'm pretty sure any standard dies will work fine, including RCBS. Looking at it on the Lee web page, I can't see any reason why they wouldn't work.
Erud

Postby Seismic Sam on Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:05 pm

Oh BOYOHBOYOHBOY!!!! OHHH! NUMMY NUMMY!!!

That being said, I think the original poster has the cart before the horse, and I would like to know what you mean by "Lee hand press". Is it the really cheap "whack-a-mole" kit, or is it a Lee manual turret reloading press? NEITHER of these is to be confused with a PROGRESSIVE press of ANY brand! I also get the feeling that you may have decided to buy stuff BEFORE you read a good reloading manual (like Lyman, Hornady, or Speer), and this is the most lethal and costly mistake you could possibly make. Seriously!! You need to LEARN how ALL this is done before you go out and spend ONE CENT on actual equipment, and you can get a tutor to help you PROVIDED you have RTFM "Read The EFFEN Manual" at least TWICE cover to cover!! Handloading is no joke, and when you are making ammo that can get up to 35,000 PSI or more, one screw up with the powder or the bullet seating can jack the pressure to the point that the gun will blow up, and it generally comes straight back in your face. Your attitude and desire to learn everything you can BEFORE you start reloading will determine what happens. Good luck!! It's a fun hobby, but TOTALLY demanding o the highest degree of care when you actually load ammo.

The 800 lb.reloading Troll....
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Postby Erud on Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:10 pm

Seismic Sam wrote:I also get the feeling that you may have decided to buy stuff BEFORE you read a good reloading manual (like Lyman, Hornady, or Speer), and this is the most lethal and costly mistake you could possibly make. Seriously!!

"most lethal"?

:roll:

PS - you are the weirdest dude on the whole internet.
Erud

Postby Pat Cannon on Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:30 pm

If by 'Lee hand press' you mean this (the Wack-a-Mole as Sam says)...

...then I say, don't! I almost did but I went with a Lee turret kit instead and I'm really glad I did. It's the difference between rounds/minute and minutes/round. Here's the authoritative wisdom from this forum back in 2009: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=7381&p=75570

But I think you mean this (right?)...

...which would not be so bad. If you're going to be loading a few dozen at a time it'd be tolerable I think. If space is your limiting factor more than money, a single stage or turret press is still doable -- I've heard of guys clamping their press to one of those folding sawhorse workstands so they can tuck the whole thing away in a closet.

Oh and I see Lee sells this thing:
Last edited by Pat Cannon on Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pat Cannon

Postby Scratch on Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:36 pm

:roll: Sam...

I'm assuming he means this and I don't know why RCBS dies wouldn't fit. Lee dies and RCBS dies have the same threads.

image.jpg
image.jpg (29.3 KB) Viewed 4281 times

But personally... I couldn't imagine using that for loading. I got a Lee anniversary kit with the breech lock press and decided it was way to slow after about a week. This one would be even slower than that. Maybe try to find a used single stage press to start with. Might find one for 60 bucks or so with some extra goodies... Ebay, craigslist....?
Last edited by Scratch on Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.
01 FFL in Hudson Wisconsin
Scratch

Postby Bearcatrp on Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:41 pm

They fit. I have one and my rcbs dies fit. Lighten up sam.
Bearcatrp

Postby Seismic Sam on Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:08 pm

Well so far, the regulars are all arguing about WTF a Lee hand press is, plus the matter of whether either of the two that take threaded dies will take other brands of dies. And yes, Erud, lethality can and regularly is rated in deaths per thousand or million exposures, with the bite of a black mamba having a lethality of (made up number here) 450/1000 victims, and the bite of a half-tone tintype of a lemur having a lethality of approximately 1 in 50 gazillion.

Meanwhile: could the original poster please tell us if he already has a reloading manual at least an inch thick, or plans to buy one AFTER he buys a press of some sort??
Last edited by Seismic Sam on Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Postby P3 Orion on Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:09 pm

I own a Lee hand press. It is an older version with 7/8x14 threads vs the newer models which have the breech lock system. While not an ideal press they will work. If I was to load 20-50 rounds it would work fine. More than that I would opt for something better. A single stage bench mounted or a turret type press would be better. Now if I had Sam's money, I would get a Dillon 1050 with a motor drive and never look back. All kidding aside, it is a limited, functional press. I use mine with a universal de-priming die and punch spent primers while watching old western movies. AND to answer your original question about compatible dies, take your pick, anything with the common 7/8 x 14 threads works fine.
P3 Orion

Postby P3 Orion on Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:13 pm

If you would like to try before you buy, PM me.
P3 Orion

Postby Pat Cannon on Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:20 pm

Sam's right about the manual being the first thing to get. Lyman's 49th Edition seems to be considered the gold standard. It's at Gunstop, and if you mention the "email special price", it's 15% off (whatever that comes to) through Thursday the 24th.

Ooh, but it's only $17.65 on Amazon, with free shipping if you're a Prime member. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001MY ... 1_1&sr=8-1
Pat Cannon

Postby Garret7857 on Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:23 pm

Thanks for the replies everyone. And yes it was the hand press that looks like a C clamp kinda. I was kind of looking into the whack a mole one but then I discovered the hand press.

I figured a good starting setup for me would be the hand press, the RCBS .38spl/.357mag/.357Max die kit I saw at cabelas today, and clamp a Lee Perfect Powder Measure to my desk and I should be set to reload! I would get a progressive but I don't think I'm going to be loading hundreds of rounds in a day and finding space for it would be hard since I am moving into an apartment in the fall.

Thanks again everyone!
Garret7857

Postby Pat Cannon on Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:23 pm

Oh, and the Lyman manual is one and five sixteenths inches thick.
Pat Cannon

Postby Garret7857 on Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:25 pm

Pat Cannon wrote:Oh, and the Lyman manual is one and five sixteenths inches thick.

I'll order one tonight!
Garret7857

Postby hard h2o on Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:08 pm

I started with a Lee "wack-a-mole" in .30-30.

I loaded many rounds with that thing. Gives you more of a feel for what goes into reloading and forces you to slow down and learn more than if you start off with one of those high dollar progressive units.

It is a more intimate way to reload. Gives your ammo a more artisan feel. I feel that my ammo now is more legitimate and authentic having used more primitive tools while I was learning the ropes.
hard h2o

Next

Return to Ammunition & Reloading