Make your own primers

A place to discuss calibers, ammunition, and reloading

Make your own primers

Postby Scratch on Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:20 pm

This will save me so much money on primers!

I'm sure plenty of people... Well at least one... Will be along shortly to chastise me for even posting this video.

But I don't care. I thought it was interesting...
Enjoy!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=t_7LWCFH5Gc
01 FFL in Hudson Wisconsin
Scratch

Re: Make your own primers

Postby Kelor on Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:40 pm

I'd never even try it, but that was interesting.
Kelor

Postby photogpat on Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:19 am

Ka-BOOM.

Next.
Nothing to see here. Continue swimming.
photogpat

Postby Seismic Sam on Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:21 am

ARRRRRGGGGGGGGG!!!!! I AM HERE!!!!!

In addition, you are Already A CHEEZHEAD, so I can't drop kick your ample and revoltingly bare butt into Wisconsin. Maybe I need to make you some Orange Cheez underwear to cover up those bare bunz of yours!!

Unfortunately, you are not a n00b, so you don't qualify for roasting. I refuse to watch some Cletus in a BoobTooB video nearly blow himself up, so let's just say that you would be hard pressed to do something more dangerous than this. Any newbies to this forum, this thread is a joke!!! Don't try it!!!
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Postby MJY65 on Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:52 am

I didn't watch it, but imagine it's pretty lame. Considering that you can store several lifetime's worth of primers in a medium sized plastic tote, I really don't get the "making primers" thing. If you foolishly manage to get into enough post-apocalyptic firefights to go through tens of thousands of primers, your luck is eventually going to run out and a bullet will find you.
MJY65

Postby Ghost on Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:14 am

Kelor wrote:I'd never even try it, but that was interesting.

This, surprisingly better video than expected. I definitely learned something, probably never try it. The BB gun targets are also interesting.
Ghost

Postby crbutler on Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:41 am

Watched it. He threw all kinds of this is experimental, don't do this unless it's the zombie apocalypse crap in there. Personally I think home practical chemistry is fun, but you need to have a better working knowledge of what you are messing with than this guy showed.

Will it work?

Sure, but not very well. Near as I can tell the guy is not a reloader, so probably didn't realize that there are tools for this. If you are going to do this, realize your priming will not take pressure as well and will likely be pretty inconsistent. The stuff on some of the prepper sites about home made priming state error (failure) rates around 10% for match head priming going down into the sub 1% range for some of the more complex chemicals. Generally, the more complex stuff does require getting actual chemical reagents though.

A few searches on line will pull up more detailed ways of making your own priming compounds, but priming is easily the most dangerous part of the whole process of manufacture of ammo. The chemistry isn't that hard...but then making various war gasses isn't hard either, just not very safe.

What I would be most concerned with would be work hardening of the primer cup making it susceptible to rupture with very low pressures.
crbutler

Postby Scratch on Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:10 am

The video gave me some good ideas to stick in my toolbox of knowledge. Not for firearm use, but for other uses, like exploding targets, practical jokes, etc. I like the idea of being able to hit something with a hammer, spoon, piece of metal, projectile, and it will go bang and possibly set off a larger charge.

Of course I thought the same thing when I discovered reloading primers which are plentiful, cheap, and I don't have to make them.

If anyone does decide to use this idea for actual reloading of firearm ammunition, they have WAY to much time on their hands, are even more of a cheapskate than me, and are willing to gamble with their health more than I am.

Still... I thought the video was really cool.
Scratch

Postby MJY65 on Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:12 am

Scratch wrote:I like the idea of being able to hit something with a hammer, spoon, piece of metal, projectile, and it will go bang and possibly set off a larger charge.

Me too, but I like the idea of having two eyes and ten fingers a LOT more.
MJY65

Postby Ghost on Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:17 am

Scratch wrote:If anyone does decide to use this idea for actual reloading of firearm ammunition, they have WAY to much time on their hands, are even more of a cheapskate than me, and are willing to gamble with their health more than I am.

I'm not convinced it's significantly cheaper. You'd need a lot of match boxes to scratch the striking compound from if you don't use the strike anywhere type. Primers aren't very expensive when you buy in bulk.
Ghost

Postby Scratch on Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:27 am

Seismic Sam wrote:ARRRRRGGGGGGGGG!!!!! I AM HERE!!!!!

In addition, you are Already A CHEEZHEAD, so I can't drop kick your ample and revoltingly bare butt into Wisconsin. Maybe I need to make you some Orange Cheez underwear to cover up those bare bunz of yours!!

Unfortunately, you are not a n00b, so you don't qualify for roasting. I refuse to watch some Cletus in a BoobTooB video nearly blow himself up, so let's just say that you would be hard pressed to do something more dangerous than this. Any newbies to this forum, this thread is a joke!!! Don't try it!!!

Wow... You were easier on me than I thought you would be... I'm flattered!
Scratch

Postby Seismic Sam on Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:00 pm

Scratch wrote:
Seismic Sam wrote:ARRRRRGGGGGGGGG!!!!! I AM HERE!!!!!

Wow... You were easier on me than I thought you would be... I'm flattered!

Actually, I just got a new pair of nice, shiny, hobnailed troll boots, and didn't want to mess one up buy giving you a swift kick in your rather ample and completely bare butt and getting it stuck in there...

EWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Postby OldmanFCSA on Wed Apr 27, 2016 4:10 pm

Instead of the expense of getting started with this, just buy a few thousand and store in a cool dry place.

I'm still using the remnants of my 70 thousand order received in October 2008.

Will need to make another order before elections this year, powder too as I'm down to about 240 pounds (mostly 50BMG powder).
OldmanFCSA

Make your own primers

Postby LumberZach on Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:00 pm

While we are on the subject, how do all of you store your powder and primers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LumberZach

Postby Seismic Sam on Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:38 pm

LumberZach wrote:While we are on the subject, how do all of you store your powder and primers?
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Drum roll........

CAREFULLY!!!!

[Benny Hill head slaps] WHAPPITY WHAPPITY WHAPPITY WHAP WHAP WHAPPITY!!!!{/Benny Hill head slaps..]

P.S. Whadda Maroon!!!
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Next

Return to Ammunition & Reloading