6.5 Creedmoor being bought up

A place to discuss calibers, ammunition, and reloading

6.5 Creedmoor being bought up

Postby Bearcatrp on Mon May 09, 2016 12:50 pm

Someone in the st cloud area is going around buying up all the 6.5 creedmoor ammo. When I ask the salesperson about stock, most places tell me one or two guys come in and buy everything on the shelve. Have to order my ammo. Been like this a couple months now. If you folks see some on the shelves when you go looking for ammo yourself, could you post the information or send me a pm? Would appreciate it. Its not easy online either. Have to check daily to score some. Almost as bad as 22LR.
Bearcatrp

Re: 6.5 Creedmoor being bought up

Postby Sigfan220 on Mon May 09, 2016 3:41 pm

Time to get some blue cool aid.
Sigfan220

Postby shooter115 on Mon May 09, 2016 3:52 pm

Only going to get worse as we near the election. Then after, it's looking like we'll get to watch another full blown buying panic.
shooter115

Postby Motoman on Mon May 09, 2016 5:12 pm

http://arsenalarmsgroup.com/catalog.rifle-ammunition?&caliber=118

This is what I have available online at my store, it ships to the store for free pickup, or you can have it shipped directly to your house (with shipping fee).

Mike
Mike

Osseo, MN 07/02 FFL & SOT
NRA Law Enforcement Instructor Pistol/Shotgun
MN/FL/WI/AZ Permit to Carry Instructor
Motoman

Postby Bearcatrp on Mon May 09, 2016 5:58 pm

My order will be in by friday. Ordered 5 boxes of Hornady 143 gr ELD-X. Should put me buy for the month or so. Still building up my brass to begin reloading in the near future. Appreciate showing what you have. Seems like the 6.5cm took off after the RPR came to market, then others releasing creedmoors too. Would like to know of stores that keep it in stock. Just sucks a few hoard it when not needed.
Bearcatrp

Postby Holland&Holland on Mon May 09, 2016 9:01 pm

Bearcatrp wrote:My order will be in by friday. Ordered 5 boxes of Hornady 143 gr ELD-X. Should put me buy for the month or so. Still building up my brass to begin reloading in the near future. Appreciate showing what you have. Seems like the 6.5cm took off after the RPR came to market, then others releasing creedmoors too. Would like to know of stores that keep it in stock. Just sucks a few hoard it when not needed.

How do you know they are hoarding it, and why if one wants to stock pile it is it a bad thing?
Holland&Holland

Postby Motoman on Mon May 09, 2016 10:26 pm

Bearcatrp wrote:My order will be in by friday. Ordered 5 boxes of Hornady 143 gr ELD-X. Should put me buy for the month or so. Still building up my brass to begin reloading in the near future. Appreciate showing what you have. Seems like the 6.5cm took off after the RPR came to market, then others releasing creedmoors too. Would like to know of stores that keep it in stock. Just sucks a few hoard it when not needed.

If you are ever interested in any large orders, feel free to give me a call and I can quote it for you. I can usually drop ship directly to your house for free above certain $$ thresholds. Mike 763-515-2878 Arsenal Arms
Mike

Osseo, MN 07/02 FFL & SOT
NRA Law Enforcement Instructor Pistol/Shotgun
MN/FL/WI/AZ Permit to Carry Instructor
Motoman

Postby mmcnx2 on Tue May 10, 2016 7:27 am

I'm guessing it a few guys that bought the new Ruger Precision Rifles. Just one of the few factory refiles cambered for it and if they need to build up a brass pile for reloading they may just be buying factory to start out.
mmcnx2

Postby JJ on Tue May 10, 2016 7:45 am

mmcnx2 wrote:I'm guessing it a few guys that bought the new Ruger Precision Rifles. Just one of the few factory refiles cambered for it and if they need to build up a brass pile for reloading they may just be buying factory to start out.
Attachments
stevie.jpg
stevie.jpg (98.15 KB) Viewed 5114 times
"a man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box." Frederick Douglass
JJ

Postby Seismic Sam on Wed May 11, 2016 8:36 am

When I hear about people buying up lots of factory ammo at prices that I consider hideous, I always shake my head and wonder why these people aren't getting into reloading. 6.5 Creedmoor ammo is $1.50 to $2.00 a round, so to get 250 cases you have to lay out up to $500!!!! Ouch!! Then I looked at brass cases, and they aren't cheap either, and you have to pay at least 74 cents apiece! In addition, Midway doesn't have any in stock and won't take backorders on 2 of the 3 cases. That puts 250 cases at $185, which is $315 dollars cheaper, but still pricey. You could get a 6 position turret press and the other stuff for $315, but the bullets aren't cheap either, so this is one expensive caliber any way you slice it. No wonder people are buying everything they can get.
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Postby crbutler on Wed May 11, 2016 9:27 am

I have always kind of wondered about this cartridge. It seems a waste of money (yes, I know that's heresy) as anything based on the .30 TC is going to be expensive as far as ammo, and given what is going on with our government, you can expect that there will be at least every other year hiccups in availability for the foreseeable future. A competition rifle that you cannot get components for regularly is worthless. Hunting, well 100 cases will last you a lifetime.

What will it do that a 260 Rem or a 6.5-06 can't do? At least with those you have common cases to make it from if necessary, and it really doesn't offer anything those two can't give you.

Admittedly, I have a .26 Nosler but that does something that my .260 can't do... And I have enough .404 brass from other items that if push comes to shove, I can feed it.
crbutler

Postby Bearcatrp on Wed May 11, 2016 1:39 pm

Motoman wrote:

If you are ever interested in any large orders, feel free to give me a call and I can quote it for you. I can usually drop ship directly to your house for free above certain $$ thresholds. Mike 763-515-2878 Arsenal Arms

Appreciate it. Will keep you in mind.
Bearcatrp

Postby Seismic Sam on Thu May 12, 2016 12:17 pm

Well, I have looked at the 6.5 Creedmoor dimensions, and it clearly has a 308/30-06 case rim and body, and rather than stare at 6.5 Creedmoor and 30-06 blueprints for a long time, why can't 6.5 Creedmoor brass be made out of 30-06 brass? There must be a gotcha in there somewhere...
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Postby LePetomane on Thu May 12, 2016 2:09 pm

Seismic Sam wrote:When I hear about people buying up lots of factory ammo at prices that I consider hideous, I always shake my head and wonder why these people aren't getting into reloading.

Why is it any of your business if someone chooses to spend their $$ on an expensive cartridge instead of reloading?
Donald Trump got more fat women moving in one day than Michelle Obama did in eight years.
LePetomane

Postby hammAR on Thu May 12, 2016 3:20 pm

Seismic Sam wrote:Well, I have looked at the 6.5 Creedmoor dimensions, and it clearly has a 308/30-06 case rim and body, and rather than stare at 6.5 Creedmoor and 30-06 blueprints for a long time, why can't 6.5 Creedmoor brass be made out of 30-06 brass? There must be a gotcha in there somewhere...

It seems that in order of popularity and ease of use most seem to use donor brass from 260, 243 and 308............
I have not read of and do not know of anyone using a 30-06................

In all three cases it takes some work and investment in successfully forming 6.5 Creedmoor brass from other cases and may well require specialized case forming dies, such as made by RCBS or Hornady. This is because forming 6.5 Creedmoor from 260, 243 or 308 brass seems to be difficult if not impossible using the available 6.5 Creedmoor FL dies.

TECH TIP: Form Improved Cases with Hydraulic Forming Die
All men are created equal....It's what they do from there that matters!.
hammAR

Next

Return to Ammunition & Reloading