9mm vs .45acp reloading

A place to discuss calibers, ammunition, and reloading

9mm vs .45acp reloading

Postby Duff-Man on Sun May 22, 2016 7:37 pm

So I'm going to start reloading 45 acp sometime within the next couple of months. I've loaded up 9mm for awhile now. Other than some 45 acp being small primer vs large is there anything different to look out for?
Duff-Man

Re: 9mm vs .45acp reloading

Postby xd ED on Sun May 22, 2016 8:55 pm

Brass rats :shameonyou: :angryvillagers:
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby OldmanFCSA on Sun May 22, 2016 9:02 pm

0.452" diameter bullets are bigger and heavier than 9mm bullets (like twice as heavy). :D

The principles are the same, they both headspace on the front of the case so crimping technique is important. If you can load 9mm Luger safely, you can load 45Auto safely - just be careful, keep your head screwed on straight, and pay attention to details. Follow the recommendations of a good reloading manual. :!:

Or come visit me and I will get you started correctly.

(45ACP is a pistol that shoots a 45Auto cartridge.)
OldmanFCSA

Postby Holland&Holland on Sun May 22, 2016 9:21 pm

OldmanFCSA wrote:

(45ACP is a pistol that shoots a 45Auto cartridge.)

I have seen headstamps that state .45 ACP so I think that is as correct as .45 auto. ;)
Holland&Holland

Postby crbutler on Sun May 22, 2016 10:45 pm

One big thing is that .45 loads are usually rather small amounts of fast powder, and it is a relatively low pressure round.

Watch for accidental double charges.
crbutler

Postby photogpat on Mon May 23, 2016 5:21 am

crbutler wrote:One big thing is that .45 loads are usually rather small amounts of fast powder, and it is a relatively low pressure round.

Watch for accidental double charges.

This^^

Extra case capacity = VERY attentive reloader
Nothing to see here. Continue swimming.
photogpat

Postby andrewP on Mon May 23, 2016 5:54 am

No kidding on the charge weights. It wouldn't surprise me at all if you could fit a quadrule (or maybe even quintuple) charge of Titegroup in a .45 case, esp given that the charges for .45 are only slightly larger than those for 9mm. How big of an explosion does it have to produce before it's considered to be a "destructive device" by the ATF? :shock:
andrewP

Postby grimbeaver on Mon May 23, 2016 6:49 am

I don't get the paranoia about a double charge in 45acp. I've never tried Titegroup but I've done 700X, HP38 and PowerPistol and all of those I would have a hard time double charging. Also with how short and wide 45acp it would be difficult to overlook a double charge when loading a bullet under adequate lighting (which you should have).
Last edited by grimbeaver on Mon May 23, 2016 6:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
grimbeaver

Postby Duff-Man on Mon May 23, 2016 6:50 am

The double charge thing concerns me.
I do small batches 50-100 so checking each one is something I do. But I think I may only charge one then put the bullet on right away rather than change the whole batch and inspect.
Duff-Man

Postby grimbeaver on Mon May 23, 2016 6:52 am

Duff-Man wrote:The double charge thing concerns me.
I do small batches 50-100 so checking each one is something I do. But I think I may only charge one then put the bullet on right away rather than change the whole batch and inspect.

Sounds like you do exactly what I do. I'll charge the whole batch in the tray(s) and if I'm paranoid at all I will use a flashlight to inspect thoroughly at multiple angles and ensure they all look similar. If any look off at all I will weigh them and thankfully it always turns out that they are the right weight.
grimbeaver

Postby Seismic Sam on Mon May 23, 2016 7:08 am

grimbeaver wrote:I don't get the paranoia about a double charge in 45acp. I've never tried Titegroup but I've done 700X, HP38 and PowerPistol and all of those I would have a hard time double charging. Also with how short and wide 45acp it would be difficult to overlook a double charge when loading a bullet under adequate lighting (which you should have).

Well, Titegroup and Bullseye loads for the 45 ACP are only about 5 grains max, so there's PLENTY of room for double charges. The remark about good lighting is right on the money, and when I load up 50 or 100 in a block, I get out a flashlight and shine it straight down all the cases so I can see that they are all the same level. After 43 years I finally did screw up charging cases when I changed my fill order from left to right in each row, and went zig-zag for some silly azz reason, and wound up double charging TWO COLUMNS of 5 in a 5 x 10 block. YOW!! When you have been on the Board of the OGC for a couple of years, you get such an aversion to going there that you quit shooting (and reloading) altogether.
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Postby Seismic Sam on Mon May 23, 2016 7:15 am

This is a really, really bad idea! No matter what you do a double charge could sneak by you somehow in a way you haven't figured out yet, SO NEVER, EVER DO THIS!!! See my post above. Just use your current healthy level of paranoia to charge 50 or 100 at a time so you can catch that one double load that you didn't see coming.
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Postby Duff-Man on Mon May 23, 2016 7:48 am

Seismic Sam wrote:

This is a really, really bad idea! No matter what you do a double charge could sneak by you somehow in a way you haven't figured out yet, SO NEVER, EVER DO THIS!!! See my post above. Just use your current healthy level of paranoia to charge 50 or 100 at a time so you can catch that one double load that you didn't see coming.

Point taken.
Duff-Man

Return to Ammunition & Reloading