Gunstop, Im done with you.

A place to discuss calibers, ammunition, and reloading

Gunstop, Im done with you.

Postby AlanH on Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:17 am

I'm probably beating a dead horse, but thought i would share my experience. On Monday October 10th, I went to Gunstop, to pick up a Dillion 550 and some accessories. The reason I went there was their email that stated you got a free pound of powder with buying a dillion press. Maybe its common for people to spend $750 dollars at gunstop, but its a lot of money to me. You would think you would have the sales clerks undivided attention. There seemed to be a few people using the magazines and books as a library. I got a little irritated when the sales person kept walking away and going over to look at pictures to look at pictures the library patrons wanted to show them. After I finally had the press and all the accessories gathered i wanted to purchase, i asked about the free pound of powder. The salesperson, knew nothing about it, went to the back and asked. He came back and said it ended at midnight. I am still kicking myself for not walking away right then. I know a pound of powder isnt much, but the principle has me angry enough to never go back. Oh well good bye gunstop. Mail order is easier. If i need Dillion press parts right away I will head down to Scheels at Rochester.
AlanH

Re: Gunstop, Im done with you.

Postby MJY65 on Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:08 am

AlanH wrote: The reason I went there was their email that stated you got a free pound of powder with buying a dillion press. Maybe its common for people to spend $750 dollars at gunstop, but its a lot of money to me. You would think you would have the sales clerks undivided attention.

You may have gone there for the wrong reason and with unrealistic expectations.
MJY65

Postby AlanH on Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:26 am

MJY65 wrote:
AlanH wrote: The reason I went there was their email that stated you got a free pound of powder with buying a dillion press. Maybe its common for people to spend $750 dollars at gunstop, but its a lot of money to me. You would think you would have the sales clerks undivided attention.

You may have gone there for the wrong reason and with unrealistic expectations.

My expectations have now been lowered enough to stop shopping there.
AlanH

Postby grimbeaver on Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:28 pm

I hate the game they play with the e-mail specials that you have to ask for them when you go into the store. The few times I've asked for the e-mail pricing it feels like they are annoyed they have to give you the deal that they offered. Also the specials are usually only good for 2-3 days which is a pretty limited window.
grimbeaver

Postby BigDog58 on Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:11 pm

AlanH wrote:I'm probably beating a dead horse, but thought i would share my experience. On Monday October 10th, I went to Gunstop, to pick up a Dillion 550 and some accessories. The reason I went there was their email that stated you got a free pound of powder with buying a dillion press. Maybe its common for people to spend $750 dollars at gunstop, but its a lot of money to me. You would think you would have the sales clerks undivided attention. There seemed to be a few people using the magazines and books as a library. I got a little irritated when the sales person kept walking away and going over to look at pictures to look at pictures the library patrons wanted to show them. After I finally had the press and all the accessories gathered i wanted to purchase, i asked about the free pound of powder. The salesperson, knew nothing about it, went to the back and asked. He came back and said it ended at midnight. I am still kicking myself for not walking away right then. I know a pound of powder isnt much, but the principle has me angry enough to never go back. Oh well good bye gunstop. Mail order is easier. If i need Dillion press parts right away I will head down to Scheels at Rochester.

If it's closer to you, the Scheels in Mankato also has Dillon parts.
NRA RSO
"Never anger a man that can end you, from another zip code

If necessary to fight, I will Fight like I'm the 3rd Monkey on the ramp to Noah's Arc, and brother, it's starting to rain.
BigDog58

Postby Sigfan220 on Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:26 pm

So you got an email with a sale/special that had an expiration date and you were a day late. How on earth is this Gun Stops problem? Every time I run a sale we get a ton of calls and emails the day after. It is up to the store if they want to extend the sale a day or not. In some cases we do but most of the time we say to watch the emails for another sale. I wouldn't get too bent out of shape over something like this unless the email did not have a specific expiration date.
Sigfan220

Postby Holland&Holland on Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:41 pm

That's ok, more stock for me to buy :P
Holland&Holland

Postby trblfngr on Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:34 pm

Had a completely different experience at Gunstop last Saturday. Bought a 550 with a few of the trimmings. Even though they were a little busy he made sure I had everything needed to get started. He also took the time to show me a couple things (called it school) that I would need to pay attention to when setting it up. Even helped me carry everything out to my car.

I will go back, no problem.
trblfngr

Postby Uffdaphil on Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:44 pm

trblfngr wrote:Had a completely different experience at Gunstop last Saturday. Bought a 550 with a few of the trimmings. Even though they were a little busy he made sure I had everything needed to get started. He also took the time to show me a couple things (called it school) that I would need to pay attention to when setting it up. Even helped me carry everything out to my car.

I will go back, no problem.

Exactly my experience.
NRA Endowment Member
Gun Owners Caucus Life Member
Viet Nam Veteran
High Information Voter
Uffdaphil

Postby justinvan on Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:07 pm

Sorry about your bad luck. I have never had that kind of experience with them before but have heard stories that depending on who is behind the counter will sometime change the level of service you get.
justinvan

Postby plink on Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:42 pm

It's not a bigbox store, that's for sure. It's a more laid back environment, treat that how you will. But, the staff actually know what they're selling, how to use it, and so forth.
Go to a bigbox store and try your luck getting info any more specific than "RCBS is green. Hornady is red. You can use them both for bulleting."
plink

Postby gman1868 on Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:58 pm

I have had nothing but a positive experience going there. If you are willing to listen, John has a wealth of information to share and often with a wry sense of humor. I can't thank them enough for all the help they've been for me. Just don't poke the guy in the back room. ;)
Living the Armed Lifestyle
gman1868

Postby mr.paul on Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:17 am

Had great experiences there, especially with the "right" John. Had poor experience with the other, usually backroom, John. I am glad I got my Dillon 550 from there. Nice to support a local shop and someone who knows the stuff.
mr.paul

Postby aprilian on Sun Oct 23, 2016 12:02 pm

Good first experience there yesterday. As new reloader, they were patient with my questions. The large guy stayed in the back ;)
Last edited by aprilian on Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
aprilian

Postby smurfman on Sun Oct 23, 2016 12:54 pm

As mentioned, it depends on which "John" you talk to. If it is "old" John which I have been dealing with since 1976, things go pretty good. He is not quite as upbeat as he was before his medical scare but he is friendly and very helpful. :shock:

If it is "big" John (or whatever the guy's name who has been working there since "old" John's medical problem or maybe a little before) then you are going to experience the epitome of poor customer service. If he is working there I will look to see if they have what I want on hand and then come back later when "old" John is there. I won't do business with "big" John as he is so rude and difficult to deal with. If this guy is going to be the one taking over from "old" John when he retires then Gunstop's reloading side will be a place I no longer patronize.
smurfman

Next

Return to Ammunition & Reloading