Fiocchi Shooting Dynamics 12ga 1170 FPS #7.5 Review

A place to discuss calibers, ammunition, and reloading

Postby FlyingKat316 on Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:26 am

Quick and dirty review on this ammo. Rounds seem to be pretty clean and soft shooting. That said there were some serious problems with powder loads being different between boxes. All 150 rounds I fired went bang, but some were definitely light and others heavy. Seems to pattern alright but I would say sometimes it felt as though I didn't change anything between shots and missed (may just be I'm terrible). Overall better ammo can be purchased in the same price range. I had quite a few ejection problems with my shotgun short stroking on these rounds which I expected but the FTEs were varying heavily with each box indicating velocity differences. As a side test I ran a box of 1290 FPS Herters shells through it and was not having any FTE problems. Some would stovepipe, some would not even move the bolt back at all, some would get the bolt just far enough back to jam it, and lastly some would go bang and eject.

Gun Used: Stoeger M3000 (Inertia Driven)
Would I recommend: No
Price bracket: $7-8 per 25
FlyingKat316

Re: Fiocchi Shooting Dynamics 12ga 1170 FPS #7.5 Review

Postby Holland&Holland on Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:09 pm

If you are looking for a load to try at a price point, try Estates.

My son used that exact same model gun last year for HS trap, went through 7 cases at less than $50 per case (so under $5 per box) of their 8 shot target loads. Never had a malfunction of any kind.
Holland&Holland

Postby gun_fan111v2 on Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:11 pm

I picket up some Federal shells at Sheels for $52+tax for 10 boxes. Been using them in my M2000 for a couple of years and they ran perfect until I replaced the springs :)
gun_fan111v2

Postby FlyingKat316 on Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:49 pm

I love my Stoeger to death. I have had it since August and have put roughly 1300 rounds through it already. The issues only seem to come with light loads as the gun is configured to fire 3" magnum shells so its not surprising that lower velocity trap rounds don't always cycle. Only issues I ever get with Herter's tends to be FTEs due to the length of the shell. Herter's shells seem to either stick or be quite long on ejection. Every once in a while one doesn't fully eject.
FlyingKat316

Postby onebohemian on Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:17 pm

Holland&Holland wrote:If you are looking for a load to try at a price point, try Estates.

My son used that exact same model gun last year for HS trap, went through 7 cases at less than $50 per case (so under $5 per box) of their 8 shot target loads. Never had a malfunction of any kind.

Where did you find Estates for that awesome price? My kids' high school trap team could benefit from those rounds at that price too. Thx.
Mark

"Edited to remove prohibited content."(2009).

"It turns out that what you have is less important than what you do with it." (In honor of 'Goalie,' 2013).
onebohemian

Postby Holland&Holland on Mon Nov 14, 2016 2:32 pm

onebohemian wrote:
Holland&Holland wrote:If you are looking for a load to try at a price point, try Estates.

Where did you find Estates for that awesome price? My kids' high school trap team could benefit from those rounds at that price too. Thx.

Cabela's had them last spring for $49.99 a case a couple of times. I started with 5 cases and then added 2 more after the season started. Couple that with some coupons and you can get it down nicely! Well as nicely as HS trap costs can be :D
Holland&Holland

Postby JJ on Mon Nov 14, 2016 6:15 pm

onebohemian wrote:

High School trap teams can participate in an ammo buy directly from Federal and get a pretty good price.

I can guarantee every team has been solicited, but not all that many participate. I would guess that many teams have handshake deals buying from the clubs they shoot at, to help offset round cost for the clubs.
"a man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box." Frederick Douglass
JJ

Postby Holland&Holland on Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:57 pm

JJ wrote:
onebohemian wrote:

High School trap teams can participate in an ammo buy directly from Federal and get a pretty good price.

I can guarantee every team has been solicited, but not all that many participate. I would guess that many teams have handshake deals buying from the clubs they shoot at, to help offset round cost for the clubs.

Our team did however I think it was $54 per case.
Holland&Holland

Postby gun_fan111v2 on Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:34 pm

When I was buying the standard blue box Federal stuff they had Estate right next to it for the same price. All the stats looked the same, does anybody know if/what the difference is?
gun_fan111v2

Postby FlyingKat316 on Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:45 pm

Not really sure what the difference is. They are both made near me (Anoka) and that makes me think they're made in the same place
Last edited by FlyingKat316 on Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
FlyingKat316

Postby FlyingKat316 on Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:47 pm

Both Estate and Federal ammunition list their Anoka plant at 900 Ehlen Drive in Anoka.
FlyingKat316

Postby crbutler on Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:50 pm

I think you have hit on the fact that anything with reduced recoil is likely to not work as well in autoloaders, especially recoil operated autoloaders. This load is their budget load and is not only low velocity, but also lighter shot weight (the standard trap load by rule in 12 ga is 1 1/8 oz at 1200 FPS) using 1 oz of shot. I suspect if you used either a 1 oz 1300 FPS load or a 1 1/8 oz 1200 FPS load your gun would work fine.

Trying to use a recoil operated gun with reduced recoil loads will likely be frustrating. The Stoeger is basically similar to the Benelli, and they all do this unless you tinker with the springs and then they get beat up when you use full power hunting ammo. If you want to shoot 1 to 7/8 oz loads at 1150-1200, you might be better off to get a 20 ga gun.

There is a reason most clay shooters use over/under shotguns, this is one part, the choice of chokes is the other. I have had some intermittent functioning and felt recoil variability with Fiocchi reduced recoil LE slugs, but strangely enough, they chronographed essentially the same. Cut 10 up and the charge weights and slug weights were really close...like 0.1 grains for powder and 1-2 grains for the slug and wads.

Fiocchi is one of the better ammo manufacturers around, and their hulls are great to reload.

Estate not so much so, usable but not that consistent. Looking at the hulls, they use either left over federal budget hulls or buy outsourced hills that I think are made by Cheddite. (French outfit)
crbutler

Postby wasfuzz on Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:50 pm

Holland&Holland wrote:.

I can guarantee every team has been solicited, but not all that many participate. I would guess that many teams have handshake deals buying from the clubs they shoot at, to help offset round cost for the clubs.[/quote]

Our team did however I think it was $54 per case.[/quote]
Our club pays for the ammo for our team, we purchase the ammo from Dunham Sports in Albert Lea. We order several pallets of ammo, they store it, we pay for it as we use it and pick it up pallet at a time. Really works well for us and we pay under $50.00 a case for Trap loads ( I don't recall which type).
ONE* Training LLC - Mapleton, MN
Offering Training in;
NRA Basic Pistol
MN DPS/ BCA Approved Conceal Carry
WI,IA Conceal Carry
NRA LE Firearms Instructor & LEO HR 218 Training
MN DNR Hunter Safety
ASP Expandable Baton
wasfuzz

Postby shooter115 on Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:15 pm

Best deal on shotgun shells is to buy Winchester AA's when they have the $2 a box rebate going on in the summer and stock up. Kind of a PITA to cut all the UPC's out, but worth it to get premium ammo at a good price.
shooter115

Postby photogpat on Wed Nov 16, 2016 6:18 am

Winchester AA's are "premium ammo" now? LOL.
Nothing to see here. Continue swimming.
photogpat

Next

Return to Ammunition & Reloading