458 SOCOM?
fine ape

Re: Horrible Freight powder coating boolits

Postby FJ540 on Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:23 pm

Yep
FJ540

Postby Lumpy on Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:55 pm

What's the deal with coated lead instead of jacketed?
Lumpy

Postby FJ540 on Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:02 pm

When you figure out how to economically put a copper jacket on a bullet at home, let me know.
FJ540

Postby wrench on Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:15 am

but in reality she was out standing in her garage the last time I drove over to drop off the last of my bullet casting stuff. I now have more money than time, so I just buy cast bullets in boxes of 500.

LOL, I think I was out standing in my garage the last time you swung by, wasn't I?
I am in a place where I have more time than money, or more time than brains, maybe.
I can cast and coat, or cast and lube boolits(I'm with you, FJ ;) ) and have results I'm very happy with.
Plus, cheap, cheap, cheap, I can shoot as long as I want without breaking the bank.
Remember, gun control is not about guns, it's about control.
wrench

Postby FJ540 on Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:14 pm

Considering I'll be modifying the profiles on both of my .459 moulds, there isn't a factory option out there for the boolits I'll be making. No one else on the planet will have them, thus no one to buy them from at any price.

The Red River boolits I shot yesterday were actually pretty good with my internet sourced reduced Reloader 7 load. Smoke was obviously more than jacketed or PC, but not terrible. My concern with those was that the last lube groove was below the neck and might cause problems in certain storage situations. There are other 405gr vendors who only have one lube groove and that might be added to my inventory at some point, but for now I'll be casting my own.

My 2 remaining poorly coated 490gr subs proved to fly straight (no yaw at 50yds), so I'm looking forward to modifying that mould to give better neck hold in the case and cleaner application of powder for future use.

Satisfaction cannot be bought. I happen to like casting as a part of reloading, even if I'm not doing something else at the same time. I didn't even mind melting my bucket of wheel weights, but fear those will be the last of them as I found out Discount Tire has switched to zinc and Corporate won't allow them to be given away. Maybe Costco will be more favorable. If I have to buy lead some day, I guess that's what'll happen. I'm set for a while. 8-)

The one on the right did end up completely full.

FJ540

Postby Snakeman721 on Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:02 pm

Oh my Gosh! You don't have the proper EPA HazMat labels and LIDS for those brain cell killing, most dangereous, toxic exposed lead ingots!! :D (sarcasm intended...lol)
Get off my lawn!
Snakeman721

Postby FJ540 on Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:46 pm

Snakeman721 wrote:Oh my Gosh! You don't have the proper EPA HazMat labels and LIDS for those brain cell killing, most dangereous, toxic exposed lead ingots!! :D (sarcasm intended...lol)

They're the perfect size and shape to shove up an inspector's rectum. :mrgreen:
FJ540

Postby Randygmn on Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:54 pm

I've been heavily investigating custom molds and powder coating and other coatings. Arsenal molds can make your 458 any way you want it designed. I'm looking into 10 bullet molds, 5 on each side with 2 sprue plates. Can do different calibers that way, too.

Eastman powders makes a blue that seems the easiest out of all the powders to get to stick to lead bullets.

And for those looking to buy virgin lead (with or without antimony/tin) at the lowest prices, rotometals is the place.
Randygmn

Postby FJ540 on Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:51 am

It's a lot easier to order an off the shelf mould and find out if that profile feeds/shoots in your guns before making some odd-duck that no one is going to buy off you after you discover it doesn't shoot better than 8 MOA. There's a guy over on 300BLK Talk who made a run of a one-off design and got 10 guys to go in on it to get the price down. Found out they didn't shoot, and ended up with 10 guys wondering what to do with their $140 paperweights. None of them could get it to fly right.

So yeah, I'll stick to my method of trying a known design that I can at least sell off as a good mould should the projectile not perform in my non-typical application(s).

One of these days I'll get around to throwing the 4-jaw in the lathe and making these changes. Been having fun with my sewing machine lately. Tonight I started working on a speed reducer for it. :lol:
FJ540

Previous

Return to Ammunition & Reloading