Horrible Freight powder coating boolits

A place to discuss calibers, ammunition, and reloading

Postby FJ540 on Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:48 pm

Lots of guys shunned my use of the HF powder, but for the price it's hard to beat. Just needs an electrostatic gun to work as I couldn't get it to stick to my boolits for anything prior to breaking down and getting the gun to apply it. Now we're cooking with gas!

Made a tray to hold these by the cavities for even powder distribution (no "loaf" method for me). Just some welding rod tigged into holes in the plate, but it works like a charm.

These 330gr Gould Express boolits will be making their way down the lanes of Oakdale tomorrow. 8-)
FJ540

Re: Horrible Freight powder coating boolits

Postby Seismic Sam on Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:54 pm

Does it come it GRAPE or BLUE RASPBERRY???
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Postby FJ540 on Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:11 pm

They have orange/yellow and white in addition to the red; then there's the black that people think wears out barrels so I'm not going to use it.

You can get just about any color under the sun in higher $$$$ powders, but those cost 3-5x more than horrible freights. Heck, I pay the same for a pound of powder as the other vendor's charge for shipping!
FJ540

Postby dismal on Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:32 pm

Not that there needs to be a reason, but why?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
dismal

Postby FJ540 on Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:16 pm

These are hard cast and powder coating means no lube.
FJ540

Postby dismal on Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:41 pm

Ah, I thought it was just to make them look cool. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
dismal

Postby BigDog58 on Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:49 pm

Sam's "Real" question was "Do they come in Multi-Rainbow Color or Pink?" Then he could carry them in the "Rainbow" Parades :rotf:

BTW, maybe I should get you to coat my 50 BMG Solid Brass in Red. They would match my rifle, and help my shooting :high5:
NRA RSO
"Never anger a man that can end you, from another zip code

If necessary to fight, I will Fight like I'm the 3rd Monkey on the ramp to Noah's Arc, and brother, it's starting to rain.
BigDog58

Postby FJ540 on Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:21 am

dismal wrote:Ah, I thought it was just to make them look cool. :)

Nope, 100% purely functional.

If it was up to me they wouldn't be red, but red is what all the 'tuber's said worked the best with the "shake'n'bake" application method. Of course MY experience with the shake'n'bake method was (6) 480gr boolits I felt comfortable shooting, and 56 that went back in the melt pot. 3 of those 6 have spiked the snot out of my chamber pressures, and 2 have yet to be fired. They were really lumpy and didn't size for beans despite needing to be hammered through my .459 luber/sizer die. :x

The 330gr's shown above all measured out at .4595" after powder coating, so I'm skipping the sizing on the initial batch and will see how they shoot.

Federal has started offering polymer coated bullets for target ammo in recent years. It's a cheap alternative to copper jackets, and has the benefit of scrubbing the bore clean. The 300BLK guys have been deep into powder coating for the whole time I've been on that forum (a little over 4 years). So far, there's really no down side. One guy who's done a bunch of testing even claims the powder coat doesn't need to be consistent or even complete coverage and won't impact accuracy. I'm not sure I believe the accuracy bit, but I think he's probably right on not needing a full jacket to prevent leading. He bakes them in a 'loaf' and then breaks the boolits apart once it cools down. I'll likely try that with some smaller stuff in the future, but for now I'm trying to make these as accurate/consistent as possible for use in muzzle device testing. I'm going to go broke in a hurry if I keep shooting $.40/ea Nosler's; where I can cast a couple hundred boolits in a sitting and powder coat them while I watch tv or do other things.
FJ540

Postby crbutler on Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:10 am

What the heck is a "boolit" ???

It isn't in Webster's.

Powder coated cast bullets work well. Interesting to hear about this way of doing it,but you kind of lose me with this attack on naming.

Gah. I am not a grammar Nazi, but using these silly slang names is ridiculous. Horrible freight? This is Ebonics run amok.
crbutler

Postby FJ540 on Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:29 am

Boolit is the common "correct" name for a cast projectile.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/

Horrible Freight is what they should've named the store. ;) Feel free to skip my threads if you don't like how I molest the English language. Maybe you should have a read at some of Rodentman's instead, might make mine seem quaint. :P
FJ540

Postby wrench on Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:13 am

Your 'boolits' look great 8-)
I've been powder coating lead for a couple of years, now. Very happy with the results.
I do use powder coat from another vendor, and shake and bake instead of using a gun.
Quick, easy, clean, cheap.
Remember, gun control is not about guns, it's about control.
wrench

Postby Seismic Sam on Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:00 am

I'd say wrench is a woman outstanding in her field when it comes to bullet casting, but in reality she was out standing in her garage the last time I drove over to drop off the last of my bullet casting stuff. I now have more money than time, so I just buy cast bullets in boxes of 500.
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Postby FJ540 on Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:23 am

Thanks Wrench! :)

Considering I can be throwing boolits while waiting for the CNC to spit out parts, this is actually damn near close to free. I won't be casting 9mm or .45's because I can't compete with Berry's and don't want to. But I couldn't find 500gr in a profile I wanted, much less for a price I wanted to pay, so I decided it was time to pull out the gear and learn how to use it. I've had the Pro 4-20 and a bucket of wheel weights for 2-3 years just sitting in the garage waiting on me (bought a complete setup and the WW's for $200 off someone who decided it wasn't for them either). After smelting it all down and discarding the steel, I have a whole 5 gallon bucket of ingots just waiting to be turned into fun. :mrgreen:
FJ540

Postby wasfuzz on Sat Feb 04, 2017 3:18 pm

dismal wrote:Ah, I thought it was just to make them look cool. :)

You mean Tacti-cool :roll:
ONE* Training LLC - Mapleton, MN
Offering Training in;
NRA Basic Pistol
MN DPS/ BCA Approved Conceal Carry
WI,IA Conceal Carry
NRA LE Firearms Instructor & LEO HR 218 Training
MN DNR Hunter Safety
ASP Expandable Baton
wasfuzz

Postby FJ540 on Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:17 pm

These definitely need something other than Reloader 7. Groups were bad, but function (feeding/cycling) was great. Just need to work up a different recipe and try again.
FJ540

Next

Return to Ammunition & Reloading