Reloading .45 ACP

A place to discuss calibers, ammunition, and reloading

Reloading .45 ACP

Postby hard h2o on Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:04 pm

Getting set up to reload for my S&W M&P .45C.

I have been reloading for rifle cartridges. I have never reloaded for a pistol cartridge.

Looking at Lee dies. In particular the carbide 3 die set versus the 4 die set.

I understand that the .45 headspaces on the case mouth and crimping can be an issue. Would it be advantageous to do a separate crimping step ala the 4 die set or is the seating/crimping in one step sufficient?

I will be reloading relatively small volume on a single stage press so not setting up for that separate crimping operation would save me some time.
hard h2o

Re: Reloading .45 ACP

Postby hard h2o on Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:10 pm

I will probably buy the 4 die set.

4 die is $47.99
3 die is $33.99
factory crimp die on its own is $18.99

SO a bit cheaper to get it with the 4 die set.
hard h2o

Postby jeffo on Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:31 pm

Good choice.
jeffo

Postby fine ape on Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:33 pm

I started reloading with an old Lee 3 die set in 45 auto. It worked fine for two of my three my 1911s.
The lee seating die has a tapered crimp built in but i prefer to use the factory crimp die, because it reforms the round to factory spec without risk of buckleing the case.

The four die set is usually less than a 3 die set + FCD.

http://ads.midwayusa.com/product/242098 ... aQod3mwGTQ

http://ads.midwayusa.com/product/661032 ... wAod1PkPQw

http://ads.midwayusa.com/product/716704 ... wAod-HQHWA

Whoops too slow.
fine ape

Postby BigDog58 on Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:39 am

I use Lee Dies for all of my pistol dies. I use the 4 Die sets with the FCD mainly because I prefer to crimp in a separate stage. I have loaded using a Single Stage, Classic Turret, and Loadmaster (also all Lee). If you are using a single stage, you might want to look into Lee's Quick Change Bushings if you happen to have a Breech Lock Press. They allow you to quickly change dies and only have to set them once. You lock the die into the bushing, and just swap out dies as you go from stage to stage. The link's below are the cheapest I've found when it comes to Lee Items.

http://www.titanreloading.com/press-accessories/lee-breech-lock-quick-change-bushings

http://www.titanreloading.com/pistol-reloading-dies/lee-deluxe-4-die-sets/-45-acp-lee-deluxe-carbide-4-die-set- $41.49

You might also check out FSReloading.com (they are currently Out of Stock on the .45 ACP 4 Die Set)

If you happen to be headed to the Edina area, you are also welcome to stop by and see how I have my Lee Presses and dies setup. Just send me a PM and I'll get in touch asap.
NRA RSO
"Never anger a man that can end you, from another zip code

If necessary to fight, I will Fight like I'm the 3rd Monkey on the ramp to Noah's Arc, and brother, it's starting to rain.
BigDog58

Postby fine ape on Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:14 am

BigDog58 wrote: If you are using a single stage, you might want to look into Lee's Quick Change Bushings if you happen to have a Breech Lock Press. They allow you to quickly change dies and only have to set them once. You lock the die into the bushing, and just swap out dies as you go from stage to stage.

+1 on the quick change bushings.

I've got the honady bushings on my rock chucker and its slicker than slick :D
Guns are not the problem, people are the problem. And short of lobotomizig everyone who has a bad thought they will continue to be for the forseeable future.
fine ape

Postby aprilian on Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:59 am

Single stage for .45 - what I found helps
1) quick change bushings - I use Hornady on a RCBS Rockchucher
2) 4 pistol die set - I have Lyman but am mixing in Redding's micrometer seating die and expander
3) Case kicker - I have one off ebay
4) good lighting
5) bin track on edge of bench to catch rounds being kicked off the press
6) powder thrower stand on RCBS base plate
7) case guage - I use as an option if I have already checked the round specifics in my barrel

Best of luck, if you set up a press well, you can get fairly fast on cranking out the rounds
aprilian

Postby Sigfan220 on Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:47 am

On a single stage you can use either with the same result. Using a 3 die back the seat/crimp die out so there is no crimp, adjust seat depth and seat all bullets, then back seating stem out so it does not contact the bullet and adjust die for proper crimp, crimp all bullets. It really wouldn't be any different than using a 4 die set. The only advantage to a 4 die is when you decide to upgrade to a progressive or turret press. You can try and seat and crimp in one step. If you aren't loading much I wouldn't worry about it. I have found plated bullets to be the hardest to seat and crimp in one operation.
Sigfan220

Postby hard h2o on Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:16 pm

Thanks for the great posts and advice.

I will probably go with the 3 die set then and save a few bucks, A progressive is not in the cards soon if ever.
hard h2o

Postby OldmanFCSA on Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:56 pm

Even though I have loaded many cartridges with a 3 die setup, I would have to recommend a 4-die setup for beginning reloaders. If you are loading only 1, possibly 2, cartridges I would recommend a turret press if you can afford and but separate heads as you need them.

I had a Redding T-7 turret press with 5 different heads, worked absolutely great. Why the past tense - I gave it and much other stuff to my son upon his USAF commission. I had an older Dillon powder dump that required no linkage which allowed for expander of case and powder to be dumped with its case activated feature. Size, turn, prime, expand & powder, turn, seat, turn, crimp, return to start, Done. Or do in batches at one station at a time - the choice is yours.

Many companies make turret presses - you should check them out before you make your decision.

EDIT

Even though LEE Precision dies work well for most, I have repaired many expander stems by turning in my lathe to change the shape to allow for better expansion. BogDog58's LEE dies have been repaired this way and I have done a few others also. Most owners like my changes - I did my own before giving to my son. (I use BLUE now.)

Have FUN, be SAFE.
OldmanFCSA

Postby hard h2o on Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:26 pm

OldmanFCSA wrote:Even though I have loaded many cartridges with a 3 die setup, I would have to recommend a 4-die setup for beginning reloaders. If you are loading only 1, possibly 2, cartridges I would recommend a turret press if you can afford and but separate heads as you need them.

I had a Redding T-7 turret press with 5 different heads, worked absolutely great. Why the past tense - I gave it and much other stuff to my son upon his USAF commission. I had an older Dillon powder dump that required no linkage which allowed for expander of case and powder to be dumped with its case activated feature. Size, turn, prime, expand & powder, turn, seat, turn, crimp, return to start, Done. Or do in batches at one station at a time - the choice is yours.

Many companies make turret presses - you should check them out before you make your decision.

EDIT

Even though LEE Precision dies work well for most, I have repaired many expander stems by turning in my lathe to change the shape to allow for better expansion. BogDog58's LEE dies have been repaired this way and I have done a few others also. Most owners like my changes - I did my own before giving to my son. (I use BLUE now.)

Have FUN, be SAFE.

Thanks for the advice. I have a single stage press. Do not have the funds, space, nor the reloading volume to allow for a progressive.

I already load for several rifle cartridges. Re-added a.45 to the stable last year. Been shooting factory ammo. I have enough once fired brass. Figure it is time to start reloading for her.

Looking at starting with either a 185 gr SWC or a 230 gr FMJ ball. Looking at 3 different powders to start.
231, Bullseye, or Unique.
hard h2o

Postby fine ape on Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:54 am

My dad uses Bullseye and Berrys 185 HBRNs in his Xd45. works well but he gets a soot streak down one side of the case. low pressuer?

I started reloading with some Unique that was older than me (cardbord can) dirty and smokey almost like black powder. I use the new unique and 200gr lswc for my 1911s. not as bad as the old stuff but still dirtyer than most.

just got a keg of win 231 last year to try it out. Acme 230gr "lipstick" and 231 are a good combo in my FnX and 1911s. cleaner burning than the other two.
fine ape

Postby aprilian on Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:00 pm

If you can't decide between the 185 LSWC and the 230 LRN, how about splitting the difference and going with a 200 LSWC.

Powder choice might depend on what you can find. I found Bullseye at Mills and VV N310 at Gun stop. I think I prefer the N310 (except for the price). If you want 20 bullets to try, I'd be happy to give you 20 LSWC Oregon Trail Laser Cast.
aprilian

Postby Sigfan220 on Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:48 pm

Go with 231, you'll never regret it. That's all I used in 9mm and 45. Depending on the gun it may not cycle SWC. I had to run round nose or truncated cone as I recall. If you have limited money go with the round nose 230. It will run in any 45acp.
Sigfan220

Postby hard h2o on Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:09 pm

Sigfan220 wrote:Go with 231, you'll never regret it. That's all I used in 9mm and 45. Depending on the gun it may not cycle SWC. I had to run round nose or truncated cone as I recall. If you have limited money go with the round nose 230. It will run in any 45acp.

Thanks.

Mainly going to be loading for range ammo. Gonna go with 231 to start. Gonna start with a 185 grain JSWC just because reloading and I can. Hoping for nice round holes in paper.
hard h2o

Next

Return to Ammunition & Reloading