Reloading .45 ACP

A place to discuss calibers, ammunition, and reloading

Re: Reloading .45 ACP

Postby crbutler on Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:22 pm

Cabelas brought the rights to the herters brand name, and it is their budget line now.

The old herters was a different cat, but very grandiose advertising.

They went belly up due to old man herter getting into an endangered wildlife importation issue with the Feds.
crbutler

Postby hard h2o on Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:54 pm

Just thought they looked strange. They are flush with the bottom of the case.

It says "Made in Czech Republic" on the box.
hard h2o

Postby westhope on Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:43 pm

They are flush with the bottom of the case.

Primers must be seated fully into the bottom of the primer pocket or may not fire on the first strike. They must be below the base to prevent a possible slam fire. They usually end up flush to 0.003 below the base.
Because I care, I carry.
westhope

Postby hard h2o on Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:00 pm

Thanks everyone for the great tips.

Started with 5.5 grains Winchester 231, Winchester Cases, Federal Large Pistol Primers, Hornady 185 Grain XTP.

Decided to load some with 5.7 grains of Winchester 231. Looked at the Federal cases I had and they indeed turned out to be small primer pockets. Switched to Winchester cases.

Took the S&W out today and everything performed flawlessly. Both loadings fed, functioned, and shot to where the sights were aimed.

My buddy brought out his Luger as well. We shot the Luger with 115 grain FMJ along side the Smith with 230 grain JHP factory and my 185 grain handloads.

My buddy prefered the recoil from the Luger and it is indeed a sweet shooting firearm. He did not like the recoil on the Smith nor the bit of blast off the muzzle when he was observing me shoot. I am still partial to the S&W M&P 45c. I feel very comfortable carrying and shooting it.

I am very happy with the first of my reloads for the .45.
hard h2o

Previous

Return to Ammunition & Reloading