Built a new reloading bench

A place to discuss calibers, ammunition, and reloading

Re: Built a new reloading bench

Postby Erud on Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:40 pm

Seismic Sam wrote:
Erud wrote:In for the post-electrical/smokeless powder fire pics! ;)

Is your Prometheus powder measure 110 V, and is it sitting on YOUR reloading bench??

You clearly don't understand the way a Prometheus works. It runs on the power of love.
Erud

Postby Seismic Sam on Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:11 pm

Erud wrote:
Seismic Sam wrote:
Erud wrote:In for the post-electrical/smokeless powder fire pics! ;)

Is your Prometheus powder measure 110 V, and is it sitting on YOUR reloading bench??

You clearly don't understand the way a Prometheus works. It runs on the power of love.

Are you trying to prove you are as big a boolshyte artist as Tootsie?? Better take a whole bottle of fugly pills and get a job as a liberal journalist who makes up stoopid shyte everytime Trump's name is mentioned.... Oh, and pack a BIG lunch, sonny!!!
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Postby Erud on Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:09 pm

Seismic Sam wrote:
Erud wrote:
Seismic Sam wrote:

Are you trying to prove you are as big a boolshyte artist as Tootsie?? Better take a whole bottle of fugly pills and get a job as a liberal journalist who makes up stoopid shyte everytime Trump's name is mentioned.... Oh, and pack a BIG lunch, sonny!!!

Uh ok, I'll do all of that stuff.
Erud

Postby Seismic Sam on Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:33 am

Decided to look into those automatic powder measures, and this little Molotov cocktail measures to 1/10th of a grain like every other POS out there, and the hopper holds a whole POUND of powder!! YOW!! Get out the weenie forks and the 3M light water :( :o :shock: :?

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/772151/rcbs-chargemaster-1500-powder-scale-and-dispenser-combo-110-volt
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Postby Erud on Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:22 pm

Seismic Sam wrote:Decided to look into those automatic powder measures, and this little Molotov cocktail measures to 1/10th of a grain like every other POS out there, and the hopper holds a whole POUND of powder!! YOW!! Get out the weenie forks and the 3M light water :( :o :shock: :?

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/772151/rcbs-chargemaster-1500-powder-scale-and-dispenser-combo-110-volt

I swear I never understand the point of any of your posts. The Chargemaster is actually a great tool. It does it's job fast, and it is accurate enough that the charges thrown will hold better elevation than 98% of shooters in the world will ever be capable of. I've had one for over 10 years and still use it on a pretty regular basis for load development. If mine broke I'd order a new one the same day.
Erud

Postby BigDog58 on Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:27 pm

Seismic Sam wrote:Decided to look into those automatic powder measures, and this little Molotov cocktail measures to 1/10th of a grain like every other POS out there, and the hopper holds a whole POUND of powder!! YOW!! Get out the weenie forks and the 3M light water :( :o :shock: :?

If you want to save a few bucks, here's the same one for $37 Cheaper.

https://www.natchezss.com/rcbs-chargemaster-dispenser-and-scale-110-volt.html

I got mine in Dec 2016 and after RCBS Rebate total cost was $220 incl shipping. It speeds up my loading, when dropping 240+ grains for my loads for the 50 BMG.
NRA RSO
"Never anger a man that can end you, from another zip code

If necessary to fight, I will Fight like I'm the 3rd Monkey on the ramp to Noah's Arc, and brother, it's starting to rain.
BigDog58

Postby Seismic Sam on Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:21 pm

Erud wrote:

I swear I never understand the point of any of your posts. The Chargemaster is actually a great tool. It does it's job fast, and it is accurate enough that the charges thrown will hold better elevation than 98% of shooters in the world will ever be capable of. I've had one for over 10 years and still use it on a pretty regular basis for load development. If mine broke I'd order a new one the same day.

From what I've read, I have to agree the Chargemaster IS a great tool. The part that I find particularly interesting is that it seems to actually able to dispense charges more uniformly than hand thrown charges, and my theory is that with the vibrating of the measure, the powder settles more uniformly than a manual powder measure even with the handloader being as careful as he can to throw all the charges the same. I'm still not sure about that .1 grain accuracy claim, but uniform charges win matches!!

The point here is that the big 110 Volt boogeyman jumped out of the closet with my reloading bench with outlets in it, despite the fact that the powder, measure, cases, and jo'momma are ON TOP of the 1 3/4" slab of wood, while the outlets are UNDER the slab of wood. So if my reloading bench is potentially dangerous because the 110V current could somehow make it up to the top surface and ignite the powder, then a Chargemaster must be several orders of magnitude MORE dangerous than my reloading bench with outlets in it.
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Postby Seismic Sam on Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:22 pm

Seismic Sam wrote:
Erud wrote:

From what I've read, I have to agree the Chargemaster IS a great tool. The part that I find particularly interesting is that it seems to actually able to dispense charges more uniformly than hand thrown charges, and my theory is that with the vibrating of the measure, the powder settles more uniformly than a manual powder measure even with the handloader being as careful as he can to throw all the charges the same. I'm still not sure about that .1 grain accuracy claim, but uniform charges win matches!!

The point here is that the big 110 Volt boogeyman jumped out of the closet with my reloading bench with outlets in it, despite the fact that the powder, measure, cases, and jo'momma are ON TOP of the 1 3/4" slab of wood, while the outlets are UNDER the slab of wood. So if my reloading bench is potentially dangerous because the 110V current could somehow make it up to the top surface and ignite the powder, then a Chargemaster must be several orders of magnitude MORE dangerous than my reloading bench with outlets underneath it.
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Postby andrewP on Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:30 pm

Erud wrote:The Chargemaster is actually a great tool. It does it's job fast, and it is accurate enough that the charges thrown will hold better elevation than 98% of shooters in the world will ever be capable of.

My father in law has one, and having used it, I'm not impressed, at least in terms of what I was trying to do. (I was loading 9mm with Unique.) I felt like I had to re-weigh every charge it trickled, and probably 1 in 5 would be off by several tenths, sometimes even more, which is a lot when your target charge is in the range of 5–6 grains. It seemed like when it would try to trickle out the last little bit of a charge, it would inevitably end up with a situation where a bunch of flakes of powder would clump together and then all fall at once. It was neither convenient nor efficient. Frankly, I don't understand how he puts up with it, as I know he uses it to load .38 spl with Unique, which has to be pretty similar.

The powder measure on my Hornady L-n-L press throws considerably more consistent charges. Maybe the RCBS works better with spherical and/or stick powders, or for larger charges like you'd use for rifle loads, but with small charges of medium to large flakes like Unique, it made for a large number of charges thrown back in the hopper, which slowed down the already non-speedy process of loading pistol rounds on a single stage press.
andrewP

Postby Erud on Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:34 pm

Seismic Sam wrote:
Erud wrote:

The point here is that the big 110 Volt boogeyman jumped out of the closet with my reloading bench with outlets in it, despite the fact that the powder, measure, cases, and jo'momma are ON TOP of the 1 3/4" slab of wood, while the outlets are UNDER the slab of wood. So if my reloading bench is potentially dangerous because the 110V current could somehow make it up to the top surface and ignite the powder, then a Chargemaster must be several orders of magnitude MORE dangerous than my reloading bench with outlets in it.

It's actually more like +/- .1 grain accuracy, so closer to .2 overall. I did a test a few years ago checking loads of 28.4 grains of Reloader 15 from my charge master on my Sartorius GD503 scale. I only weighed 30 charges because I got bored of it pretty quickly, but I'd be surprised if a larger sample looked much different.

As to the fire thing, I am pretty sure we were just giving you a hard time. Lighten up, Francis. :roll:
Attachments
Screen Shot 2017-02-19 at 3.30.55 PM.png
Erud

Postby Erud on Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:40 pm

andrewP wrote:
Erud wrote:The Chargemaster is actually a great tool. It does it's job fast, and it is accurate enough that the charges thrown will hold better elevation than 98% of shooters in the world will ever be capable of.

My father in law has one, and having used it, I'm not impressed, at least in terms of what I was trying to do. (I was loading 9mm with Unique.) I felt like I had to re-weigh every charge it trickled, and probably 1 in 5 would be off by several tenths, sometimes even more, which is a lot when your target charge is in the range of 5–6 grains. It seemed like when it would try to trickle out the last little bit of a charge, it would inevitably end up with a situation where a bunch of flakes of powder would clump together and then all fall at once. It was neither convenient nor efficient. Frankly, I don't understand how he puts up with it, as I know he uses it to load .38 spl with Unique, which has to be pretty similar.

The powder measure on my Hornady L-n-L press throws considerably more consistent charges. Maybe the RCBS works better with spherical and/or stick powders, or for larger charges like you'd use for rifle loads, but with small charges of medium to large flakes like Unique, it made for a large number of charges thrown back in the hopper, which slowed down the already non-speedy process of loading pistol rounds on a single stage press.

I've never used it for pistol, and never loaded any pistol rounds on a single stage press. Both of those sound like less fun than setting my hair on fire. I'd guess that 5-6 grains of flake powder is not exactly what it was intended for. For rifle stuff it works great, and it saves a ton of time when doing load work ups, as you just punch in the number and wait for it to spit out the charge. If I'm really getting down to it, I will trickle up the last grain or so to the final weight on a better scale. After I've decided on the final load I throw my charges with something else, but I won a lot of 600 yard matches shooting rounds loaded on a Chargemaster.
Erud

Postby andrewP on Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:46 pm

Erud wrote:I've never used it for pistol, and never loaded any pistol rounds on a single stage press. Both of those sound like less fun than setting my hair on fire.

For sure. It was extremely tedious, and since I currently only load pistol, it was easy to make the decision between a single stage + a chargemaster like my FIL has or a progressive + a cheap balance beam scale. The money was about the same, but the convenience and speed are WAY higher with the progressive. I'm not surprised that you say the chargemaster works better with rifle-sized charges. I imagine that's it's true design intent.
andrewP

Postby OldmanFCSA on Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:49 pm

I have a RCBS ChargeMaster and used it extensively since 2006.

I bought two of the Smart Reloader ISD powder measures, with one failing immediately - it was replaced under warranty no problem.
I use them for the 254 grain powder charges in my 50BMG target rifle. I verify every 10 with a balance beam scale.
One works well, the other needs to be re-programmed for smaller grained powders.

And before anyone jumps on me about using the cheap Chinese junk, turn your RCBS units over to read the Made in CHINA stickers.

My ChargeMaster has issues and RCBS wants $200 to replace it. It goes wild instead of going into fine feed mode.

My ISD's cost $168 when I bought them.

The key to accuracy on these units is the long warmup of electrical components and keeping them away from magnetic sources, like most fluorescent lights.
OldmanFCSA

Postby hammAR on Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:23 pm

So we progressed from a bench build project to discussing powder charging equipment.......
Where I lost interest was two recognized shooters and winners of numerous events over years of competition -
arguing with someone that has never shot competition............... :busy:

It is a nice looking, functional bench Sam............ :cheers:
All men are created equal....It's what they do from there that matters!.
hammAR

Postby Seismic Sam on Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:46 am

hammAR wrote:So we progressed from a bench build project to discussing powder charging equipment.......
Where I lost interest was two recognized shooters and winners of numerous events over years of competition -
arguing with someone that has never shot competition............... :busy:

It is a nice looking, functional bench Sam............ :cheers:

To be sure, it looks 10 times nicer than either one of us, Gunny....
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

PreviousNext

Return to Ammunition & Reloading