case lube?

A place to discuss calibers, ammunition, and reloading

Re: case lube?

Postby crbutler on Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:37 pm

For stuff in the progressive reloaders (basically .223 and all pistol) I use either dillons stuff or one shot, whichever I have at the time. Load the case feeder, half a dozen squirts of Dillon lube or a couple seconds on one shot, agitate the cases, and reapply, then start the feeder. Hasn't been a problem. I use only carbide dies in the progressives, but I used to not bother lubing pistol cases. I just tend to do large lots now, so by lubing there is less effort on the machine, and things don't get out of adjustment as easily.

.308 is kind of intermediate. If I load it on the progressive, I lube that on a cookie sheet first. Stuck one or two way back when and just am a little pickier with that.

If I am doing larger cases on the single stage, I use imperial, but putting it on is part of the inspection process. It gets wiped off by hand when I inspect and box up at the end. Most I do of them at a time is 150, for a major hunting trip.

If I am being picky, I will run the cases from the progressive through the cleaning process for 10 minutes or so to get the lube off, but usually just leave it. Has not caused any issues that I have noticed so far.
crbutler

Previous

Return to Ammunition & Reloading