Is .357 Magnum the most versatile modern caliber?

A place to discuss calibers, ammunition, and reloading

Postby linksep on Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:15 pm

I don't own a .357 Mag., but a couple of them are on my wish list... Looking at .357 Mag., it looks like the most versatile caliber ever made...

From paper-punching, to self-defense, to small/medium game hunting, and pest/varmint/predator control; I can't think of a better all-around caliber than .357 Mag.

Make your case for any other caliber, but with the Coonan/DE pistols, numerous revolvers, and numerous lever-action rifles; the only other calibers I can think of that can shoot in this variety of guns are the .22LR and 9mm, but the .357 packs much more punch than the other two competitors.

I guess if I were limited to one non-shot caliber, I think .357 Mag would have to be the one.
Science: noun, Whatever answer will help to advance communism.
linksep

Postby LumberZach on Mon May 01, 2017 6:23 am

If you just want 1 gun to do it all it isn't a bad choice. But if you are going to buy a rifle and a handgun anyway, you could get a slightly better caliber rifle with more power, and a slightly better pistol in terms of price/capacity/recoil etc. and be better off. All of this depends entirely on your intended use though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LumberZach

Re: Is .357 Magnum the most versatile modern caliber?

Postby Randygmn on Mon May 01, 2017 6:27 am

linksep wrote:I don't own a .357 Mag., but a couple of them are on my wish list... Looking at .357 Mag., it looks like the most versatile caliber ever made...

From paper-punching, to self-defense, to small/medium game hunting, and pest/varmint/predator control; I can't think of a better all-around caliber than .357 Mag.

Make your case for any other caliber, but with the Coonan/DE pistols, numerous revolvers, and numerous lever-action rifles; the only other calibers I can think of that can shoot in this variety of guns are the .22LR and 9mm, but the .357 packs much more punch than the other two competitors.

I guess if I were limited to one non-shot caliber, I think .357 Mag would have to be the one.

Can't argue that it's not versatile. In looking for the one due all caliber, I'd prefer the 9mm, only because it's available in many more platforms, including AR/AK rifles. Also, it's much less expensive and more ubiquitous on the market. Both suffer from longer range inadequacies. If I was going to choose a single center fire rifle caliber for versatility, I'd choose 300blk. Can run Super's as low as 90gr, up to 230gr subsonic, with every imaginable weight in between. Perfect for home defense, since it's optimized in a 9" barrel. Also, it's Hollywood quiet when suppressed. Just my .02c
Randygmn

Postby grimbeaver on Mon May 01, 2017 6:43 am

I don't think it has quite that wide a range of versatility unless you reload it. Maybe if you include factory 38sp rounds it comes close. Reloaded though yes it is quite versatile.

Randygmn wrote:If I was going to choose a single center fire rifle caliber for versatility, I'd choose 300blk.

And then have Magnum Research custom build you a BFR in 300 BLK. Looks like they do it:
http://www.magnumresearch.com/BFR-Precision-Center.asp
grimbeaver

Postby Randygmn on Mon May 01, 2017 7:33 am

grimbeaver wrote:I don't think it has quite that wide a range of versatility unless you reload it. Maybe if you include factory 38sp rounds it comes close. Reloaded though yes it is quite versatile.

Randygmn wrote:If I was going to choose a single center fire rifle caliber for versatility, I'd choose 300blk.

And then have Magnum Research custom build you a BFR in 300 BLK. Looks like they do it:
http://www.magnumresearch.com/BFR-Precision-Center.asp

Wow. I'd never heard of the BFR revolvers. They can do just about anything, as long as it's not a necked down cartridge. They can even build a 458 socom. That's a beast to fire in a rifle. Can't imagine it from a handgun. Lol.
Randygmn

Postby VMAX97 on Mon May 01, 2017 8:20 am

The first gun I ever bought was a S&W 686 .357 Magnum revolver with a 6" barrel. It is a great do everything gun for target to even some hunting. You can load some great lead target .38 special loads (wad cutters are great) up to a full power house JHP magnum. I bought it in 1985 and still have it but I have to say it does not get much use.
VMAX97

Postby Uffdaphil on Mon May 01, 2017 8:31 am

I guess it depends on what you include in defining versatility. Every caliber has one or more weak spots. .357 comes up short in range, mag capacity and not easily suppressed. .300BLK is not concealable or always readily available. 9mm lacks range and punch for huntong.

But I gotta say my 1892 lever .357/.38 with cowboy action job is a decent compromise for a lot of uses. If I absolutely could only have one caliber it would have to be 5.56.
NRA Endowment Member
Gun Owners Caucus Life Member
Viet Nam Veteran
High Information Voter
Uffdaphil

Postby Seismic Sam on Mon May 01, 2017 8:32 am

Where you been? The Big EFFEN Revolver came out in 1999.

Also, it sounds like you read some old PR verbiage about the 357, since it's been around since 1935. As far as being the most versatile caliber, it has one huge design limitation, which is that it is a RIMMED case. In 80 years only ONE autoloading pistol has ever been constructed for it, and it's always been a Minnezotah pistol, yah, suure, yew betcha....
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Postby Randygmn on Mon May 01, 2017 8:47 am

Seismic Sam wrote:Where you been? The Big EFFEN Revolver came out in 1999.

Also, it sounds like you read some old PR verbiage about the 357, since it's been around since 1935. As far as being the most versatile caliber, it has one huge design limitation, which is that it is a RIMMED case. In 80 years only ONE autoloading pistol has ever been constructed for it, and it's always been a Minnezotah pistol, yah, suure, yew betcha....

Lol. I've owned handguns since the early 90's, but only modern firearms. I've never had the desire or interest to own a revolver, so I know very little about them. Same goes for walnut. If it's not black and semi auto, there's no room for it in my safe. I'm like the anti-fudd.
Randygmn

Postby usnret on Mon May 01, 2017 8:48 am

Seismic Sam wrote:Where you been? The Big EFFEN Revolver came out in 1999.

Actually there are two. The Desert Eagle and the Coonan.
"The two most important rules in a gunfight are: Always cheat and
Always win."
GLOCK Certified Armorer
usnret

Postby Sigfan220 on Mon May 01, 2017 8:49 am

If you include hunting I would say the 44mag is more versatile. I have deer hunted with a 357 and 44. The 44 is much better suited for hunting. If I were to have just one revolver it would be a 44. You can load them down so they don't kick at all or load them up for deer, bear or larger game.
Sigfan220

Postby Sigfan220 on Mon May 01, 2017 8:56 am

Coonan, Desert Eagle, LAR Grizzly. Two 357 mag pistols are still in current production, both MN companies. Just saying there was more than 1 pistol designed for 357mag. I'm probably missing a couple too. But yeah the rim does limit it.

Also in response to the BFR post. Yest they will do bottle neck, 30-30 is a standard cambering. They have also done 22 hornet and 218 bee in the past both of which have a shoulder.
Sigfan220

Postby Holland&Holland on Mon May 01, 2017 9:17 am

Is the .357 the most versatile common handgun chambering, yes.

Is it most suited for anyone situation, of course not, that is why it is so versatile. There are better self defense choices, there are better carry choices, there are better hunting choices, there are better bear defense choices, there are better target practice choices, there are better plinking choices. But it can suffice in any of these roles if needed.

And how the heck did .300 blackout get into this discussion? Talk about the opposite of versatile, it is a niche cartridge. If you want to talk versatile cartridges in a rifle then .30-06 needs to be on that list.
Holland&Holland

Postby photogpat on Mon May 01, 2017 9:44 am

.44 mag. Decent range, great power, shotshell cartridge in a pinch...
Nothing to see here. Continue swimming.
photogpat

Postby Holland&Holland on Mon May 01, 2017 9:50 am

photogpat wrote:.44 mag. Decent range, great power, shotshell cartridge in a pinch...

I'll give the .44 all of that. I would contend that a .38 special +p defensive load is much more friendly to the recoil sensitive and readily available than a .44 special one.
Holland&Holland

Next

Return to Ammunition & Reloading