Is .357 Magnum the most versatile modern caliber?

A place to discuss calibers, ammunition, and reloading

Postby gun_fan111v2 on Sat May 06, 2017 7:31 am

What about 10mm? Never had one but am always tempted. How does it stack up against a 357 magnum?
gun_fan111v2

Re: Is .357 Magnum the most versatile modern caliber?

Postby linksep on Sat May 06, 2017 8:23 am

Science: noun, Whatever answer will help to advance communism.
linksep

Postby linksep on Sat May 06, 2017 8:40 am

hard h2o wrote:
linksep wrote:I'm not asking about the most versatile rifle cartridge, or the most versatile handgun cartridge.

Hypothetically if you could have any number of guns in any styles you wanted...but they all have to be chambered in just one common caliber.

12ga is a good choice that has a lot of potential, but doesn't make a good EDC caliber.

.22 s/l/lr/m (any of the above) gives you a huge number of choices for guns but lacks range and power.

So if I am understanding correctly what round can do the most. One round for EDC, match competition, plinking, trap, skeet, sporting clays, biathlon, dangerous game, big game, medium game, small game, upland bird, waterfowl, home defense, zombie apocalypse, varmint control...

The range is from 12 ga to ,22 short.

Is that the question?

I will answer with 3 rounds. One handgun, one rifle, and one shotgun.

.45 ACP
.30-06 Springfield
12 Gauge

You appeared to understand, but then went off the rails anyway and gave 3 answers... I wasn't asking for 3 answers, just one. So if you could have unlimited* guns in unlimited* styles but they all had to chamber and fire ONE cartridge that would be __________ (.45 ACP because that was first on your list.)

*Unlimited means limited only by your purchasing power.
linksep

Postby linksep on Sat May 06, 2017 8:58 am

Holland&Holland wrote:
linksep wrote:Oh for #%&@$ SAKE! No wonder this board is dead.

Sorry I tried to start a discussion.

What, you don't want opinions on your question, or only ones that agree with you.

I think your question has been well answered. I assumed you were asking is .357 the most versatile handgun cartridge. I happen to think it is. But you seem to be wondering if it is the most versatile cartridge period. That is like asking if a Honda 750 is the most versatile vehicle. Works fine until you need to haul lumber from menards or winter....

What do want?

I think CR answered your question. 12 gauge period.

That's fine, CR gave their answer, but you have not. Your previous post was especially worthless.

Holland&Holland wrote:
linksep wrote:I'm not asking about the most versatile rifle cartridge, or the most versatile handgun cartridge.
Hypothetically if you could have any number of guns in any styles you wanted...but they all have to be chambered in just one common caliber.

12ga is a good choice that has a lot of potential, but doesn't make a good EDC caliber.

.22 s/l/lr/m (any of the above) gives you a huge number of choices for guns but lacks range and power.

Well then, no, you could not be more wrong.

If you don't have anything to add to the conversation, don't post.
TELL ME WHY I'M WRONG! Make a case for some other cartridge! Say "I agree with CR - 12gauge 2-3/4" ... anything other than "you could not be more wrong." That doesn't add anything to the conversation or accomplish anything except getting you right up to the edge of the ignore list for yet another forum member.

I may be wrong, even for my own uses. I was trying to start a topic for conversation so converse.
linksep

Postby gun_fan111v2 on Sat May 06, 2017 9:27 am

Too bad 10mm does not perform better in longer barrels. I guess my vote goes to 357!
gun_fan111v2

Postby Ghost on Sat May 06, 2017 10:25 am

I'd take a revolver, pistol and lever gun in 357 as more versatile than a 12 gauge. But, that's just like my opinion man.
Ghost

Postby hard h2o on Sat May 06, 2017 11:47 am

linksep wrote:
You appeared to understand, but then went off the rails anyway and gave 3 answers... I wasn't asking for 3 answers, just one. So if you could have unlimited* guns in unlimited* styles but they all had to chamber and fire ONE cartridge that would be __________ (.45 ACP because that was first on your list.)

*Unlimited means limited only by your purchasing power.

I understand the question you asked. I thought by listing various activities that you can use a firearm for that you would see that I (and probably most of us) can not live with one pistol, rifle, nor shotgun chambering.

Try .22 LR for trap or skeet. Try 12 GA for long range targets...

No thanks. I will stick with my 3. And thank god I am not limited to those.

If you are talking a survival or living off the land situation then I could live with one or two. If I was forced into it.
hard h2o

Postby Holland&Holland on Sat May 06, 2017 12:38 pm

linksep wrote:
Holland&Holland wrote:
linksep wrote:Oh for #%&@$ SAKE! No wonder this board is dead.

Sorry I tried to start a discussion.

What, you don't want opinions on your question, or only ones that agree with you.

I think your question has been well answered. I assumed you were asking is .357 the most versatile handgun cartridge. I happen to think it is. But you seem to be wondering if it is the most versatile cartridge period. That is like asking if a Honda 750 is the most versatile vehicle. Works fine until you need to haul lumber from menards or winter....

What do want?

I think CR answered your question. 12 gauge period.

That's fine, CR gave their answer, but you have not. Your previous post was especially worthless.

Holland&Holland wrote:

Well then, no, you could not be more wrong.

If you don't have anything to add to the conversation, don't post.
TELL ME WHY I'M WRONG! Make a case for some other cartridge! Say "I agree with CR - 12gauge 2-3/4" ... anything other than "you could not be more wrong." That doesn't add anything to the conversation or accomplish anything except getting you right up to the edge of the ignore list for yet another forum member.

I may be wrong, even for my own uses. I was trying to start a topic for conversation so converse.

I answered you already. You just can't understand your own writing.

Your question simply stated and written was "Is .357 Magnum the most versatile modern caliber?" That was your question.

The answer is NO. Many have provided evidence on why this is the answer. I see no reason to continue to add to that mountain presented before you.
Holland&Holland

Postby Ghost on Sat May 06, 2017 2:06 pm

Panties seem a bit tight for something that's subjective
Ghost

Postby crbutler on Sun May 07, 2017 12:09 am

Well then, what is versitility?

To me, if you can get the job done, even if it requires some substantial compromise, it is ok.

Since most of the shooting in the US, at least from ammo sold, is either .22 (plinking and small game) or or 12 ga shotshell (clays and bird shooting mainly), those two things have to be covered to be covering the majority of shooting tasks.

While I will grant a .357 handloaded to .38 wadcutter levels will handle small game and plinking, what does it do for clay games or bird hunting?

A sawed off side by side AOW will work like a big revolver for carry. Unpleasant to shoot, not all that accurate, and not as concealable as a m60 snubby, but will more or less do the job.

A 12 ga rifled slug gun will kill anything short of pachyderms.

A hot 12 ga saboted slug will be accurate enough for shooting past the .357's range. Much more recoil, but doable.

A .357 mag loaded with birdshot might work on a snake at 4 feet, but it often will not kill a crow at 10 yards (been there, done that. Once it crippled the bird bad enough I could run after it and shot it 4 more times before it died. It was hit each time.) it won't work on game birds, period.

Now, would a .357 fit someone's individual needs better than a 12 bore? Maybe. But it isn't as versatile, it's just a better fit for that individuals circumstances. If you don't hunt birds at all, and you won't need to use it to get protein for your family on a regular basis in a survival situation (meaning birds, rabbits, deer, whatnot as you find it) and you don't participate in clay games at all, it may fit you better...but it's still not as versatile.

Look, I own a number of .357's. I like them. It is a very versatile cartridge compared to many others.... but it's not truly versatile in the greater sense of the word. I would be able to handle all my handgun needs with a .357 if I had to, but that ignores my annual big game forays, my safari hunting, my bird hunting, my clay shooting, and my occasional playing the long range (600 or so yards in my case, generally) target game. If you don't do what I do, it may cover everything you do do, but as you can see it doesn't do everything at all, let alone passably.
crbutler

Postby Ghost on Sun May 07, 2017 6:26 am

I was thinking in more of EOTWAWKI situation. Shooting birds in the air and clays were not worries. Turkeys, pheasants and whatever can easily be shot for food on the ground with a nice lever gun.

That said a 22lr would be the most useful
Ghost

Postby Holland&Holland on Sun May 07, 2017 8:52 pm

Ghost wrote:I was thinking in more of EOTWAWKI situation. Shooting birds in the air and clays were not worries. Turkeys, pheasants and whatever can easily be shot for food on the ground with a nice lever gun.

Your going to find a lot of pheasants sitting in an EOTW situation?
Holland&Holland

Postby Ghost on Mon May 08, 2017 2:30 am

Holland&Holland wrote:
Ghost wrote:I was thinking in more of EOTWAWKI situation. Shooting birds in the air and clays were not worries. Turkeys, pheasants and whatever can easily be shot for food on the ground with a nice lever gun.

Your going to find a lot of pheasants sitting in an EOTW situation?

I would where I'd be
Ghost

Postby ZardozCZ on Wed May 10, 2017 7:43 am

.44 magnum for all the same reasons, just more potent.
ZardozCZ

Postby OldmanFCSA on Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:59 pm

357 Magnum in my GP100 = best cartridge/revolver combo.

My 357 Magnum preference is a new brass case (StarLine), CCI primer, max loading Win296/H110, Hornady 140 grain XTP. Proven to be extremely accurate. My GP100 has been polished internally and many who have tried it - loved the double action trigger pull and the very crisp single action trigger pull. THIS WORKS FOR ME. YMMV.

As for the 357 Magnum being the best possible cartridge, it could be - BUT actual external conditions will determine usage.
OldmanFCSA

PreviousNext

Return to Ammunition & Reloading