Brass Plated steel casings

A place to discuss calibers, ammunition, and reloading

Brass Plated steel casings

Postby shadluckace on Wed May 03, 2017 12:20 am

Hey I was wondering if these are a newer product or if they have been out for awhile. I am asking this because I was out at my local range today and picked up like 400 9mm casings that were just laying on the ground. When I got home I was looking through them and found that a fair amount(134) of them had the head stamp of " Xtreme ST" they look like brass casings but I had a gut feeling they might of been brass plated steel because of the ST marking (as I have a lot of the regular Xtreme brass cases too) so I put a large magnet over them and they stuck right to the magnet. the question I then have is are they safe to reload since they use the boxer style primer and not the bredan primers. if they are safe to reload do I have to change anything like the amount of powder I use or can I stay at the same powder charge I use with my brass casings. this is the first time in my 20 years of shooting hand guns and 10 years of reloading that I have seen casings like these so I am hoping to gain more knowledge about them.
shadluckace

Re: Brass Plated steel casings

Postby Scratch on Wed May 03, 2017 5:26 am

They aren't new. I've shot brass plated steel cases through my AR at least 5 years ago and they've probably been around longer than that. They are steel cases though.
I know there are people that reload steel cases, but I wouldn't. It'll be harder on your dies too.
01 FFL in Hudson Wisconsin
Scratch

Postby OldmanFCSA on Wed May 03, 2017 7:00 am

Toss 'em in recycle can. A strong magnet will be your best tool for sorting range brass.

I will give you 4-500 clean brass once-fired 9mm cases FREE, as a new member. You come pickup and sort for headstamp if you so wish. If you need any FREE reloading instruction, bring your firearm also. Scan and e-mail a copy of your Drivers License to: OldmanFCSA@aol.com , you may black out the license number, but I need your full address before giving you mine. I do accept donations to my heating fund.

Welcome from Osceola, Wisconsin.

(If I elevate muzzle of rifle 37 degrees and fire, I can hit Minnesota from here.) I lived in Minneapolis-StPaul area for 27 years before retiring in Wisconsin.
OldmanFCSA

Postby shadluckace on Wed May 03, 2017 9:19 am

Oldman, thanks for the offer of the 400- 500 free 9mm casings but I don't need them as I am sitting on like 5000 of them my self right now. I was just asking about these brass plated cases because I have never seen them before in the 10 years of reloading that I have done. same goes for those cases with that internal lip, ran into a bunch of them last summer. those ones were scrapped on the spot. it's like everything else you never stop learning something new.
shadluckace

Postby Sigfan220 on Wed May 03, 2017 10:11 am

OldmanFCSA wrote:Toss 'em in recycle can. A strong magnet will be your best tool for sorting range brass.

I will give you 4-500 clean brass once-fired 9mm cases FREE, as a new member. You come pickup and sort for headstamp if you so wish. If you need any FREE reloading instruction, bring your firearm also. Scan and e-mail a copy of your Drivers License to: OldmanFCSA@aol.com , you may black out the license number, but I need your full address before giving you mine. I do accept donations to my heating fund.

Welcome from Osceola, Wisconsin.

(If I elevate muzzle of rifle 37 degrees and fire, I can hit Minnesota from here.) I lived in Minneapolis-StPaul area for 27 years before retiring in Wisconsin.

Toss them in the trash. If you take them in with your brass to recycle they will not pay for the steel cases and may reject the entire lot. The last time I brought steel in it was around $200 a TON with a 500lb min, this was about 2 years ago. It would take a lot of spent casings to make up a 500lb minimum for recycling, not to mention that's a lot of work for $50.
Sigfan220

Postby 870TC on Wed May 03, 2017 11:42 am

Found some of these at the range, in .308 win. all looked to have been reloaded and all showed signs of incipient case head separation.
870TC

Postby OldmanFCSA on Wed May 03, 2017 3:37 pm

I had fun at Oakdale Gun Club a couple of years ago - shooting about 100+ rounds of 7.62X51 thru my AR-10A2. Shiny brass was piling up near my bench. The brass hoarders (yes I'm one too) asked if they could have the brass. I said yes - hope they didn't break too many decapping pins as it was all Berdan primed.
OldmanFCSA

Return to Ammunition & Reloading