Crimping vs neck tension

A place to discuss calibers, ammunition, and reloading

Re: Crimping vs neck tension

Postby crbutler on Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:42 am

You keep asking why crimp. I gave my reasons, Rip gave his, yet you seem to persist in asking why we dot just use neck tension.

I guess I don't see what you are trying to discuss.
crbutler

Crimping vs neck tension

Postby acs75 on Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:49 pm

I guess we are baffled by the same thing. My title maybe miss leading. But I thought I was clear on my post.
Rip actually gave me the answer I was looking for. Hopefully he can answer my follow up question.

We all know the reason to crimp.

My question isn't that.(thought I made that clear). My question is for guys who already set their neck tension with fl or neck die. Like Rip does. We see great accuracy with doing so with bolt guns. Just wondered why you don't hear it much with ARs.
Also guys keep stating their reasons for crimping Instead of why the chosen crimping OVER neck tension. Meaning they have tried both or research both n chose one over the other.

But I'm interested in hearing about guys that decide to use neck tension to not only achieve better accuracy but to hold bullet in place. If they have had any issues with solely using neck tension to hold it. Again .002 .003. Not the standard.001

I plan on running neck tension n No crimp. In my ARs. For the reasons I have previously stated.

I think everyone has their valid reason to do one way or other.

How about this. Anyone precision reloading for ARs?
acs75

Previous

Return to Ammunition & Reloading