10X (Blue Lakes) Ammo

A place to discuss calibers, ammunition, and reloading

Re: 10X (Blue Lakes) Ammo

Postby crbutler on Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:35 am

A 9x19 push through die is just resizing the base of the case, it still needs to be run through a conventional sizing die before it can be loaded.

40 s&w is a straight came and I would think the push through die can replace a conventional sizer there.
crbutler

Postby linksep on Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:47 am

I didn't realize there were special push-though dies for 9x19, I figured people just used regular FL sizing dies. Even so, how does one get a bulge in the tapered 0.391" area of the case back in spec when the .394" base precedes it through the die?
Science: noun, Whatever answer will help to advance communism.
linksep

Postby grimbeaver on Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:39 pm

linksep wrote:I didn't realize there were special push-though dies for 9x19, I figured people just used regular FL sizing dies. Even so, how does one get a bulge in the tapered 0.391" area of the case back in spec when the .394" base precedes it through the die?

Only push through I've seen is the G-Rx from Redding and they only make that for 40S&W. So got me puzzled as well.
grimbeaver

Postby crbutler on Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:05 pm

The one I've seen is a magma products item used in commercial reloading. Some guys use a 9 makarov fcd as a push thru for 9 major also. Face it, .003" is within tolerance on the cartridge case. If you are getting rid of the glock guppy belly it works.

A lee undersized die is an easier answer, as is a case pro, but I've seen them and they do work.
crbutler

Postby Randygmn on Sun Jul 02, 2017 5:10 am

Seismic Sam wrote:I still think you should name the company doing the training, as this is a pretty serious safety and MANAGEMENT infraction that could have gotten somebody hurt. They buy crappy re-manufactured ammo from God only knows where, and perhaps the half sober uncle of one of the owners/trainers, and then essentially FORCE unsuspecting new shooters to use this stuff?? That's demonstrable proof they don't know Jack shyte about telling good ammo from bad, and also that they are trying to get by a cheap as possible while they are making a buck off this crap. It's ESPECIALLY hypocritical to say you don't want students to bring handloaded ammo to class, and then it turns out that this cheap crap WAS handloaded by somebody who didn't know enough to use a minimum tolerance die. If this had happened to me, I would make sure that I named this "training" company, because I'd rather burn in hell than take responsibility for someone getting hurt with this crap down the line....

^^THIS^^ in spades. This "class" was a poop show in all aspects, from start to finish. Without question, the training failed in the 2 most important areas, safety and judgement. Not only did they require the use of unsafe ammunition, someone made the uninformed decision to do so, and then risk seriously damaging your wife's property. And imo, that only happened because she was a woman. No way that would've occurred had it been you or I. Refusing to name them puts those of us in the gun community at considerable risk of becoming victim to their low standards of safety and judgement. When dealing with firearms that can lead to serious injury or death.
Randygmn

Postby UnaStamus on Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:24 pm

Seismic Sam wrote:I still think you should name the company doing the training, as this is a pretty serious safety and MANAGEMENT infraction that could have gotten somebody hurt. They buy crappy re-manufactured ammo from God only knows where, and perhaps the half sober uncle of one of the owners/trainers, and then essentially FORCE unsuspecting new shooters to use this stuff?? That's demonstrable proof they don't know Jack shyte about telling good ammo from bad, and also that they are trying to get by a cheap as possible while they are making a buck off this crap. It's ESPECIALLY hypocritical to say you don't want students to bring handloaded ammo to class, and then it turns out that this cheap crap WAS handloaded by somebody who didn't know enough to use a minimum tolerance die. If this had happened to me, I would make sure that I named this "training" company, because I'd rather burn in hell than take responsibility for someone getting hurt with this crap down the line....

This.
Any training group refusing to allow people to use their own factory loads is ridiculous. Any training group that is incapable of determining what is a quality load is just incompetent and a safety hazard. Mandating that students use reman off-brand ammo is downright negligent, especially since many gun companies can void the warranty if you use reman/reloaded ammo.
Learning Firearms - Training and Firearms Industry Video Production
http://www.learningfirearms.com
UnaStamus

Previous

Return to Ammunition & Reloading