Tracer rounds...

A place to discuss calibers, ammunition, and reloading

Tracer rounds...

Postby BRSmith on Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:05 am

Did a quick search, didn't seem to find a definitive answer. Is it legal for Minnesota residents to order online and possess tracer ammunition? going to order some bulk 5.56 and just happened to see that they have re manufactured M-856 tracer rounds.
The pen may be stronger than the sword... but I'd rather have a sword in a dark alley. Andrew Warnick

Of course you can trust the Government......... It turned out well for the Indians didn't it?
BRSmith

Re: Tracer rounds...

Postby ttousi on Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:24 pm

Not sure about legal aspect but most ranges will not allow their use
MN Permit Instructor
http://www.tomtgun.com
NRA Training Counselor/Instructor (Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection)
DNR FAS Instructor

"I am not going to be intimidated by some punk with a moderator button."-darkwolf45
ttousi

Postby photogpat on Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:49 pm

There are no restrictions on purchase or possession of tracer ammo in MN that I'm aware of.

You'd be specifically looking for something prohibiting it rather than allowing it...and there is nothing at a State level. You'll be hard pressed to find a place to shoot it though as ttousi mentioned, and if you opt for State Forest land, please be careful of fires started by tracer rounds.
Nothing to see here. Continue swimming.
photogpat

Postby LarryFlew on Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:33 pm

Nothing prohibiting but be aware a lot of reman tracers don't light up and if you buy the bullets for reloading use the exact powder and recipe to make as many work as possible. If you need that info on me.
If you're having second thoughts you're two ahead of most Democrats
LarryFlew

Location: Hamburg, MN - CZ fan - Class of 66 - USAF 66-70 - NRA life since 1970

Postby BRSmith on Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:44 pm

Thanks for the info, much appreciated.
The pen may be stronger than the sword... but I'd rather have a sword in a dark alley. Andrew Warnick

Of course you can trust the Government......... It turned out well for the Indians didn't it?
BRSmith

Postby Squib Joe on Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:23 am

Only California has laws against tracers as far as I know

As stated, you'll have a hard time finding a range where you can use them and they may be restricted on public land especially during high risk fire conditions
"The weight is a sign of reliability. I always go for reliability." - Boris "The Blade" Yurinov
Squib Joe

Postby smurfman on Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:37 am

I have several boxes of Federal American Eagle tracers I mistakenly bought at Cabela's a couple years back and have seen them for sale at Gander Mountain and Fleet Farm too. That doesn't necessarily mean they are legal but they were on shelves more than long enough for the media to have found out and written up some expose' if there some legal problems.

As for use, I'll second dyne comment about the need for care in their use. I haven't gotten around to firing my tracers but hope to one of these winters. Like others, I don't want to be memorialized by having my name used for a wildfire I started.
smurfman

Postby Sigfan220 on Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:04 am

I would personally not recommend tracers. You don't want to be that guy that starts a forest fire because you saved a few bucks on ammo. Ammo is so cheap right now it is crazy.
Sigfan220

Postby BigBlue on Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:44 pm

I was able to shoot a few one time, thanks to another member here. It was pretty cool to shoot them at dusk and watch them go, but I have to say I was really surprised by the wild directions the ricochets took after they hit the ground out 200+ yards. I was not expecting some of the extreme angles. Really makes you think twice about what direction you fire a gun. I'm not sure if they behaved much differently because they were tracers or if that's just what happens to a high-speed light projectile?

BB
BigBlue

Postby OldmanFCSA on Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:39 pm

I too have observed tracer rounds ricochets, they seem to almost always go in right-hand direction based on spin and how flat of an object it hits. Shooting at dusk or at night is always interesting. We sometimes have "Night Shoots" at FCSA Fun Shoots and results are fun but difficult to capture digitally as intended. Being careful with Tracers or Incendiary is a requirement of any shoot where burnable fuels exist. The 30 degree safety zone of any fired projectile must be observed in any shooting environment, although sometimes we screw up and survive on dumb-luck.
OldmanFCSA

Postby Randygmn on Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:53 am

Anyone know about the legality of Roufoss rifle rounds? Other HEI rifle rounds? Also found self destroying thermite, time fused (300 meters) rounds. APIT? Also, what about roufoss handgun rounds (not AP)? I found a source for all of these and want to give them a go if they are MN legal. Can't hurt to have some of these options laying around if/when they might be useful. Not sure it's prudent to share the source until I get some definitive answers. THX!!
Randygmn

Return to Ammunition & Reloading