Every time I reload a batch I chrono them
11%
Every so often I drag the chrono to the range to double check things
22%
Only when working up a new load
50%
I do not own one but borrow one on occasion
2%
Never, I rely on the manuals, pressure indicators on the case, and results on paper and game animals.
13%

Total votes : 36

How many reloaders chronograph

Postby hard h2o on Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:18 pm

Do you own a chronograph or use another's chrono to verify velocity of your loads?

A chrono is on my wish list.
hard h2o

Re: How many reloaders chronograph

Postby Seismic Sam on Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:52 pm

My answer is slightly different than the choices, and when I work up a load I chrono EVERYTHING, and graph the data in Excel, and look at both the velocity and standard deviation of the velocity. Now, you can try to get by cheap, and deal with having to type in or re-type in data :x , and that system will have the INHERENT liability that if you blow a shot, you have to buy ANOTHER one after you killed the 1st one!! Bottom line, getting a Millenium II WITH the infrared skyscreen kit. https://www.midwayusa.com/product/10150 ... aph-system https://www.midwayusa.com/product/87831 ... hronograph So you're looking at slightly under $300 for the complete system, and to repeat: Yes, you can do this cheaper if you want to screw around TWICE as much, and one bad shot will require you to buy ANOTHER cheaper chrono and STILL be stuck with screwing around with the data. The other nasty thing about normal skyscreens is that they are not foolproof, and at a certain sun angle the whole system can just shut down, and then you are really screwed! Al that time loading up ammo, and firing it slowly, and your day is shot with some of the data missing!! Plus with this breakdown forcibly shoved up your drawers with no warning, you'll be so pissed off that you won't be able to shoot as good for the rest of the day, provided your F**KING chrono decides to wake up.

With the Millenium the electronics are on the bench with you, and the worst you can do is shoot out a skyscreen. Then you just hook it to your computer, and transfer all the data into Excel, and make your charts. The really telling data plot is the standard deviation of the velocity for at least 5 shots, and if you can get down to an SD of under 10, that is OUTSTANDING uniformity, and you have a tack driver load. If the group size isn't equally impressive, that's because of the loose nut behind the trigger. :( :o :shock: :? As far as killing deer, this is far beyond that, but in ******* weather with less than optimal conditions, it could make a difference.

The Nosler reloading manuals tells you which is the most accurate powder they tested, and that tip alone gets you a looong way down the road to the best load.
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Postby VMAX97 on Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:07 pm

I borrowed one when I was first developing a race load for USPSA IPSC competitions and have since bought my own and use it when developing a new load and also to double check my loads as I change powder lots and primer lots to verify that I am still getting the same speeds.
VMAX97

Postby hard h2o on Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:16 pm

Seismic Sam wrote:My answer is slightly different than the choices, and when I work up a load I chrono EVERYTHING, and graph the data in Excel, and look at both the velocity and standard deviation of the velocity. Now, you can try to get by cheap, and deal with having to type in or re-type in data :x , and that system will have the INHERENT liability that if you blow a shot, you have to buy ANOTHER one after you killed the 1st one!! Bottom line, getting a Millenium II WITH the infrared skyscreen kit. https://www.midwayusa.com/product/10150 ... aph-system https://www.midwayusa.com/product/87831 ... hronograph So you're looking at slightly under $300 for the complete system, and to repeat: Yes, you can do this cheaper if you want to screw around TWICE as much, and one bad shot will require you to buy ANOTHER cheaper chrono and STILL be stuck with screwing around with the data. The other nasty thing about normal skyscreens is that they are not foolproof, and at a certain sun angle the whole system can just shut down, and then you are really screwed! Al that time loading up ammo, and firing it slowly, and your day is shot with some of the data missing!! Plus with this breakdown forcibly shoved up your drawers with no warning, you'll be so pissed off that you won't be able to shoot as good for the rest of the day, provided your F**KING chrono decides to wake up.

With the Millenium the electronics are on the bench with you, and the worst you can do is shoot out a skyscreen. Then you just hook it to your computer, and transfer all the data into Excel, and make your charts. The really telling data plot is the standard deviation of the velocity for at least 5 shots, and if you can get down to an SD of under 10, that is OUTSTANDING uniformity, and you have a tack driver load. If the group size isn't equally impressive, that's because of the loose nut behind the trigger. :( :o :shock: :? As far as killing deer, this is far beyond that, but in ******* weather with less than optimal conditions, it could make a difference.

The Nosler reloading manuals tells you which is the most accurate powder they tested, and that tip alone gets you a looong way down the road to the best load.

Thank you for your insight.
hard h2o

Postby MJY65 on Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:24 pm

I use it when working up a new load or changing powder lots.

I've had a Chrony(20 years ago), an Oehler, and now a LabRadar. I wouldn't go back to something with downrange skyscreens. I never shot one, but just too much hassle to set up on a public range.
MJY65

Postby usnret on Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:06 pm

This is the one that I use and it Bluetooth's with your phone or tablet. It is rechargeable and has the lights built in.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/16948 ... nograph-g2
"The two most important rules in a gunfight are: Always cheat and
Always win."
GLOCK Certified Armorer
usnret

Postby Seismic Sam on Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:03 pm

Looks good, although it is still in the path of an errant bullet.... :( :o :shock: :? That is one other thing about any chrono - you have to get it far enough away from the muzzle that the initial fireball isn't picked up by the skyscreens. And of course, the farther you have to move it away to get good readings, the smaller the margin of error becomes.
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Postby Ghost on Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:08 pm

Haven't purchased one yet but will likely go with labradar when I do.
Ghost

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:45 pm

I don't chronograph, and I don't borescope.
I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Postby crbutler on Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:39 pm

I chose every so often, but really it depends.

If I'm working up a load I will use the lab radar after I've made some initial determinations.

I will chrono a new lot of ammo for a significant hunting trip.

Occasionally I will recheck a proven load if I feel like it... but most of the time I don't bother. It's a pain in the ass to fiddle with the thing. Yes, the lab radar is relatively easy, but still it is requiring record keeping, and I do enough of that at work.

A chrono is mandatory if you are going to differ from a proven manual, but if you follow directions, I don't think it mandatory for reloading.... having said that, I wouldn't be without one myself.
crbutler

Postby mmcnx2 on Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:44 pm

I chrono within the lot of each item. If I use a different lot number of any component(powder, bullets, primer and headstamp) I chrono that batch and record the results.

I track the lot number of each component, the chrono and accuracy results.

I have the same chrono I've used for over a decade and maybe I'm just lucky but I've never shot it.
mmcnx2

Postby grimbeaver on Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:21 am

usnret wrote:This is the one that I use and it Bluetooth's with your phone or tablet. It is rechargeable and has the lights built in.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/16948 ... nograph-g2

I have the same one. It works well as long as you position it right. I even turned it upside down and did shotgun loads once. But I do find myself wanting a lab radar. Nothing more annoying then when you need to move the chrono and other people on the line are shooting and you have to wait.
grimbeaver

Postby Jackpine Savage on Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:51 am

I picked up a Magnetospeed last winter. I've used it a half dozen times or so. Hasn't missed a shot yet.
Jackpine Savage

Postby Rodentman on Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:58 pm

Never had one, never used one.
Rodentman

Postby Bearcatrp on Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:36 pm

My 1st chronograph is a lab radar. Best piece of shooting equipment to own. Not for reloaders only either. I bring it as much as possible. Even same loads but different temps to see if any difference.
Bearcatrp

Next

Return to Ammunition & Reloading