I need some Dillon 650 help.

A place to discuss calibers, ammunition, and reloading

Re: I need some Dillon 650 help.

Postby crbutler on Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:31 pm

If by the electric trimmer you mean dillons electric trim die and trimmer, you can save a lot of time with that.

However, you will have issues with trying to speed it up too much.the way that the Dillon set up works, you can set it up to deprime and trim then fully resize and then go back and reset the press and run it through and prime it or decap trim and then re run and resize and prime for rifle.

You need a separate trim die for each caliber and will need to lube prior to trimming.

Also, the trim settings can be quite touchy so you do need to sort by headstamp.

Also the trimmer tends to be a bit of a messy cut, so you will need to chamfer and deburr the cases after trimming.

I do this on a 1050, so I can set the crimp removal on the press, but with a 650, if you are using once fired military brass you will also need to remove the crimp separately.

It's useful, but is a batch only system to use, and personally I refuse to mess with setting it up for prepping less than 1000 cases. For 100 rounds or less, manual takes less time than all the farting around with die set up... which you have to do as the shell plate tolerances are moving when you reset the machine... if you left it as a dedicated trim set up yrmv.
crbutler

Previous

Return to Ammunition & Reloading