Resizing rifle projectiles -------

A place to discuss calibers, ammunition, and reloading

Resizing rifle projectiles -------

Postby OldmanFCSA on Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:05 pm

Has anyone successfully resized rifle projectiles down 0.007" in diameter?

We're talking copper jacketed projectiles.

0.264" down to 0.257".
OldmanFCSA

Re: Resizing rifle projectiles -------

Postby smurfman on Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:32 am

You know far more about this than I ever will but I briefly considered something like this once. I looked at doing so with 41 magnum bullets for the 401 WSL but backed off when I read of the jacket separating from the core and lodging in the barrel. I read of the same concern in a fairly recent article in Rifle magazine regarding the 351 WSL.

Like I said, I know little about this but what little I do know caused me to go a different direction. The little I shoot my rifle is not much of a cost factor to me compared to the perceived risks to the rifle or me.
smurfman

Postby BigDog58 on Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:44 am

Why not just sell those 6.5mm projectiles and then buy the .257" projectiles? That 25/06 needs good bullets if it's going to outshoot my .243" (6mm). The last time it tried, it wasn't a pretty sight, for that beautiful 25/06 you were shooting.. :booyah:
NRA RSO
"Never anger a man that can end you, from another zip code

If necessary to fight, I will Fight like I'm the 3rd Monkey on the ramp to Noah's Arc, and brother, it's starting to rain.
BigDog58

Postby OldmanFCSA on Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:32 pm

The projectile companies have not yet produced a quality 0.257" dia projectile for long range work.

BigDog58 - I screwed up trying to shoot 75 grain projectiles - barrel twist was different than my 1982 Remington 700 Varmint Special in 25-06, resulting in unstable conditions (like ME). I have many boxes of 100 and 115 grain Ballistic Tips to play with. My goal was to resize a 140 grain down to 0.257" diameter.

Another project for those Winter months.
OldmanFCSA

Postby Seismic Sam on Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:55 am

I have never tried this either, but based on what other people have posted about jacket separation, I can't imagine how this can possibly work by shoving it through a resize die. As long as there are longitudinal forces working on the bullet as it's pushed through, the copper and lead will not move at the same rate. The only way I can see this working is if you have some sort of roller setup to radially resize the bullet downward. That would be a good winter project for when it's too damn cold to shoot outside. FWIW - The club I have joined has public hours 12 months of the year..... :mrgreen:
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Postby linksep on Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:22 pm

Sam, are you suggesting something like a Case-Pro 100 to resize the projectiles? I would think that would guarantee core/jacket separation but that's just a gut feeling and has no basis in science or fact.

Science: noun, Whatever answer will help to advance communism.
linksep

Postby crbutler on Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:20 pm

The usual way to do this is to buy a swaging type die.

Probably Corbin can help you there.

It's not that uncommon in the odd big bore rifles, like .465, etc. but those rounds are not shot at ultra fast velocities either. I've also seen it done with some of the odd lever rounds and to make .400 bullets out of .416.

If I wanted to do what you want, I'd find someone with cnc equipment, perhaps the guy who makes your 50 bore riders and see how much it would cost to make copper, bronze or building metal bullets, ala a GMX or E tip design, albeit hollow point without the tip.
crbutler

Return to Ammunition & Reloading