Powder Identification

A place to discuss calibers, ammunition, and reloading

Powder Identification

Postby dleong on Sat Aug 26, 2017 1:55 pm

Last night, I was in the process of demilling some cartridges I had found in the "DUDS" canister at our club's pistol range, when I came across a (presumably handloaded) .38 Special round containing this most unusual looking powder:

P1100287_Resized.jpg

I was curious as to what kind of powder this was, and did a Google search using keywords like gunpowder, flake, hole in middle, and looks like monochromatic Cheerios. No joy. I even did a Goodle image search using the picture above but that only returned links to cooking-related websites.

So, does anyone here who's been handloading longer than I know what kind of powder this is?

P1100296_Resized.jpg
dleong

Re: Powder Identification

Postby wrench on Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:23 pm

Looks like 'Trail Boss'
Remember, gun control is not about guns, it's about control.
wrench

Postby crbutler on Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:36 pm

wrench wrote:Looks like 'Trail Boss'

+1
crbutler

Postby dleong on Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:07 am

Trail Boss it is. Thanks for the lead! Looks like a very interesting bulky/voluminous powder developed for low recoil "powder puff" loads with lead projectiles, and from what I've been reading, it burns extremely cleanly. I see that Hodgdon's website has TB load data for the .38 and .357--I might have to pick up a pound of this the next time I'm at Fleet Farm. :)
dleong

Postby crbutler on Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:41 pm

The most common use (as per the name) is for cowboy action shooting.

It's pretty much impossible to get too much in a case, and while it meters rather poorly, it works for its intended use. I haven't been impressed with the accuracy I got from it, but it is soft shooting, and plenty accurate for the CAS game.

Frankly, it comes in odd amounts (I think the 1# bottle says 14 oz or some such) and is kind of spendy. Unless your goal is very light loads in large cases, there are better choices out there price and accuracy wise. Safety wise with light loads, it's an excellent powder.
crbutler

Postby grimbeaver on Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:53 am

crbutler wrote:Frankly, it comes in odd amounts (I think the 1# bottle says 14 oz or some such) and is kind of spendy.

Not even 14oz. Its 9oz and it fills the bottle at that weight. Extremely high volume powder. I have some but have yet to try it. My understanding is load data is basically fill the case 100% but don't compress.
grimbeaver

Postby smurfman on Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:18 pm

I have loaded several hundred cases of 45 Colt with Trail Boss and it has worked very well for that. I get pretty decent accuracy from it, maybe better than with anything else I have tried. Reading Mr Butler's post now has me thinking the powder and my wobbles balance out which sounds more likely the reason for better results and not improved skill.

Trail Boss can be used for light loads in pretty much any metallic cartridge and I have heard some mention of its use in Bullseye shooting though not positive on that. It is my "go to" powder for plinking loads in the 45 Colt which is where it is used most often. It seems expensive for the amount purchased but a little bit goes a long ways and the cost seems to even out. It beats the uneven ignition that I used to commonly get in the 45 Colt with other powders especially in the cold.
smurfman

Postby Rodentman on Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:06 am

I use a lot of it for "pansy loads." Yes, it doesn't meter worth a carp thru my Redding thrower, but 70-100% fill of the case up to the bottom of the bullet is a safe load. DO NOT COMPRESS. It's a great powder for light loads.
Rodentman

Return to Ammunition & Reloading