Any one using a RCBS Trim Pro case prep station?

A place to discuss calibers, ammunition, and reloading

Postby benny on Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:17 pm

I am looking to get one of these RCBS Trim Pro or a Lyman case prep station. Seems like it is faster to and less stress on my wrist when twisting the primer pocked cleaner.

Benny
benny

Re: Any one using a RCBS Trim Pro case prep station?

Postby Erud on Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:05 am

I have had the RCBS case prep station and the Trim Pro trimmer. Both work good. I bought a Giraud trimmer a few years ago, so I don't really use the RCBS trimmer anymore, but I still use the prep station quite to a bit as I very rarely need to trim cases. Manual chamfering/de-burring is a real drag, so I'd say it's definitely money well spent. If you happen to be looking for the trimmer, shoot me a PM. I'd make you a deal on mine, has 3-way cutters for .22, 6mm and .30 cal.
Last edited by Erud on Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Erud

Postby acs75 on Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:06 am

I have Lyman. Works great. Any prep station is worth the money.
acs75

Postby LarryFlew on Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:40 am

My trimmer is Lee but the case prep is RCBS and I love it, Sure takes a LOT of the work out of prepping rifle cases.
If you're having second thoughts you're two ahead of most Democrats
LarryFlew

Location: Hamburg, MN - CZ fan - Class of 66 - USAF 66-70 - NRA life since 1970

Postby VMAX97 on Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:34 am

I really like my RCBS trimmer/ case prep device. Its great for standard reloading practices, if you are going to go for competition grade you may want to look at one of the more precise trimmers but you cannot beat the newer RCBS trimmer since they upgraded the motor to trimmer linkage. The three way cutters are great once you dial them in. One thing to think about is do you like to reload, I like to reload and its a great winter activity.
VMAX97

Postby MJY65 on Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:43 pm

[quote="VMAX97". The three way cutters are great once you dial them in.[/quote]

They sure are. It makes it super easy if you set up a trimmer head (or entire trimmer) for a specific cartridge. No adjustment, ever. No more chamfering and deburring after trimming.
MJY65

Postby grimbeaver on Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:37 am

I use the Lyman case prep station. Got tired of deburring by hand and it is worth every penny. However I will say for what it costs it feels a little cheap. It's just a bunch of plastic gears on a plate so alignment is not perfect. But from reviews I read it doesn't sound like any of the other options out there are any better.
grimbeaver

Postby BigDog58 on Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:20 pm

I know the OP asked about the RCBS Trim Pro and Case Prep Station, but I would like to suggest he look into the Frankford Arsenal Case Trimmer & Prep Station.

For my "Mouse Gun" (smaller than 50 BMG) case trimming and prep, I use the FA Trimmer/Prep station. Once setup, it gives repeatable trim lengths (every time) and has 3 work stations. All on one machine. I have mine setup with to Chamfer (I use a VLD), Deburr (outside case) and to debur the Flashole (inside case).

It has proven (at least to me) to be very efficient and gives excellent results. It only has three stations for attachments, but it will use other branded tools that have 8-32 threads. I've been using it for about 2 years now and I'm pleased with it. It is also cheaper (in price), but the build quality seems excellent.

(Note) I do use the VLD Chamfer portion for prepping my 50 BMG cases for match ammo as well.
NRA RSO
"Never anger a man that can end you, from another zip code

If necessary to fight, I will Fight like I'm the 3rd Monkey on the ramp to Noah's Arc, and brother, it's starting to rain.
BigDog58

Postby VMAX97 on Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:18 am

BigDog58 wrote:I know the OP asked about the RCBS Trim Pro and Case Prep Station, but I would like to suggest he look into the Frankford Arsenal Case Trimmer & Prep Station.

For my "Mouse Gun" (smaller than 50 BMG) case trimming and prep, I use the FA Trimmer/Prep station. Once setup, it gives repeatable trim lengths (every time) and has 3 work stations. All on one machine. I have mine setup with to Chamfer (I use a VLD), Deburr (outside case) and to debur the Flashole (inside case).

It has proven (at least to me) to be very efficient and gives excellent results. It only has three stations for attachments, but it will use other branded tools that have 8-32 threads. I've been using it for about 2 years now and I'm pleased with it. It is also cheaper (in price), but the build quality seems excellent.

(Note) I do use the VLD Chamfer portion for prepping my 50 BMG cases for match ammo as well.

I have to say, just watched the video on the Frankford arsenal case trimmer and prep station and as always, I am very impressed with their products. If I did not already have my RCBS, I would consider this product.

http://www.btibrands.com/product/platin ... ep-system/
VMAX97

Postby Bearcatrp on Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:30 am

VMAX97 wrote:
BigDog58 wrote:I know the OP asked about the RCBS Trim Pro and Case Prep Station, but I would like to suggest he look into the Frankford Arsenal Case Trimmer & Prep Station.

I have to say, just watched the video on the Frankford arsenal case trimmer and prep station and as always, I am very impressed with their products. If I did not already have my RCBS, I would consider this product.

http://www.btibrands.com/product/platin ... ep-system/

Thanks for posting this. Looks friggin awesome. Will be my next purchase. Been using a cordless drill which sucks.
Bearcatrp

Postby Bearcatrp on Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:08 pm

The frankford arsenal is on sale at Graf & Sons for $127.99 if anyone is interested. I just ordered one. Just a FYI
https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/pr ... ctId/27283
Bearcatrp

Return to Ammunition & Reloading